2 360s. 2 problems. Options?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Team Fail, Jul 2, 2012.

Jul 2, 2012

Team Fail Don't screw with me, kid.

Message Count:
    Canada
    So a year ago, I found an Xbox 360 in, among other things, a garbage bin. It works almost perfectly, minus the fact that it doesn't read any discs. And today, my friend donated his older brother's 360. And proceeded to tell me it has an RROD.

The 360 with the bad disc drive is an Xbox 360 Pro, but I don't know the model of the RROD 360, although I know it's not a newer one. I know they're not the same models because they accept different power plugs, so I want to know: What options do I have on a very small budget? Would I be able to graft parts of one 360 over to the other and have one of them work? As well, I don't want to have to do any flashing because I want to be able to use the Marketplace. Where should I start?

Okay. I was just doing some looking around. The RROD 360 is a launch model, which is a Xenon (Manufacture date is August 19, 2006, which is before the Zephyr), and the 360 with the bad drive is a Falcon (It has an HDMI port).

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Message Count:
    United States
    Does it read DVDs? Or just not games? If it reads DVDs that tells me that it might not be the correct disc drive for that Xbox. In which case would mean the only course of action would be to RGH it, run Xell, grab drive keys, and then revert to stock NAND. Then flash the drive keys to the disc drive. (Way out of your budget. >.

Message Count:
    Canada

Message Count:
    United States

Message Count:
    Canada
    Well, I was able to identify the builds of each system, so perhaps if I can find what drives came in which type of system, I can find the cross-compatibility and see if I am lucky.
    • Banned

Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

Message Count:
    United States
    You can dump the DVD key and swap it out for a new DVD drive, make sure it's the same model though!

Message Count:
    Canada
    Model, as in...

Message Count:
    United States
    Disc Drive model. There's Benq, Liteon, Hitachi, etc.

Message Count:
    Canada
    Ah. Yeah. I've read that different systems have different drives. I hope to compare them soon. I may pull the drives out of both of them and see what they are.

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm going with Hitachi for the Xenon, and Liteon for the Falcon.
    • Banned

Message Count:
    United States
    It's really eratic. BenQ is very possible for both systems. Samsung is also possible.

Message Count:
    Canada
    Well, I'll attempt to narrow down what drives they are, and report back on them. I'll take the faceplate off the Falcon and see what color the wires are. Perhaps...

The Falcon 360 is a Pro model (According to the MS Xbox site). Does that narrow anything down immediately?
    • Banned

Message Count:
    United States
    Nope. Check the wires, or just crack it open!

Message Count:
    Canada
    Ok. I pulled off the faceplate of the Pro, and the colors of the wires are white, so it's a Benq. I need to determine the disc drive for the RROD 360 now. Without a power cord, this will be plenty of fun.

Edit: Looks like that RROD one is a Benq as well. Now that I know the two have similar disc drives, would it be possible to just swap them, or would flashing be involved?

Shadowhunta New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Flashing would be necessary, you will need to flash the key from the broken drive, to the working drive, otherwise the falcon 360 won't accept it.

SPONSORED LINKS