Why is my Xbox 360 Slim not displaying anything after I swapped the disc drive?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So are you saying hack the console and boot into Xell? And dump the dvd key and flash it on another drive, and then reflash the nand?

Also I guess I don't need to play online on the xbox 360 because they are ending support for it anyway
Basically yes. But if you don't plan on playing online there is no need to reflash the nand back to stock. Just continue along with the RGH and enjoy playing backups without a dvd drive.

You're gonna want an HDD though if you don't have one, but since it will be an RGH console you're not stuck buying an MS branded drive or trying to find one of the older WD BEVS drives to flash. Any old 2.5" drive will work.

Read up on the RGH 3.0 process and give it a go if you feel comfortable soldering. All it requires is a switching diode, 10-20k ohm resistor, a raspberry pi pico, wire and some patients.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're gonna want an HDD though if you don't have one, but since it will be an RGH console you're not stuck buying an MS branded drive or trying to find one of the older WD BEVS drives to flash. Any old 2.5" drive will work.
I still have the Xbox's old hard drive, so I can use that, but I have formatted it to a file system that windows can reconize. Do I need to format it to the xbox file system before putting it in the console?
Read up on the RGH 3.0 process and give it a go if you feel comfortable soldering. All it requires is a switching diode, 10-20k ohm resistor, a raspberry pi pico, wire and some patients.
What's a switching diode?
Can I use the xFlasher chip to read the nand? I saw in a youtube video that it's recommended to use picoflash or xFlasher.

One more thing I want to know: Is the console not displaying anything because of the failed system update and the no disc drive?
Post automatically merged:

So I did some more research and I'm planning to fix the nand first, or whatever is causing the no display, so that it can actually display something, then I'll deal with the dvd key thing and Xell.

Last edited by Entryjyt,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I still have the Xbox's old hard drive, so I can use that, but I have formatted it to a file system that windows can reconize. Do I need to format it to the xbox file system before putting it in the console?

What's a switching diode?
Can I use the xFlasher chip to read the nand? I saw in a youtube video that it's recommended to use picoflash or xFlasher.

One more thing I want to know: Is the console not displaying anything because of the failed system update and the no disc drive?
Once the system is rgh'd you can just put the drive in the 360 to format it or use FatXplorer in windows to recreate the drive.

1n4148 switching diode
1701747795177.png

You can probably use an xFlasher but a pico is generally the cheaper option and just as easy to wire up.

As for no video, out of those two options I would say it's a failed system update, but it could also be something else. Without an error on the screen or a secondary error code it's hard to diagnose. I've used the 360 to power the dvd drive in the past when I use to flash them and with the drive disconnected it still always booted to the dashboard so I'm fairly certain it's not the lack of a dvd drive that's causing it.

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1n4148 switching diode
What is it used for? The RGH guide, https://xbox360hub.com/guides/rgh-3-guide/ , doesn't say that a switching diode is required.

Looks like that PCB is from a liteon DG-16D4S. It may still work as a replacement for that drive but you would have to be sure when reconnecting the soldered wires that they go to their proper locations.

The pic you posted is for Phat dvd drives and they are slightly different from the Slim models.

Edit:
After a second look that pcb looks like it's from a DG-16DS2S instead. Which is odd since I don't think they shipped these with slim consoles. Are you sure that PCB came from this xbox?
I forgot to mention, that before I teared down the console the disc drive use to open. And there was display about the system update failed on the tv. I saw the circular bump drive in the console when I opened it, and before I opened the console the drive can open and close. I remember my friend saying that he sent it to a repair place to try fix it before he gave it to me. So idk why there was a phat drive in a slim, but the disc drive worked before.

Last edited by Entryjyt,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What is it used for? The RGH guide, https://xbox360hub.com/guides/rgh-3-guide/ , doesn't say that a switching diode is required.

I forgot to mention, that before I teared down the console the disc drive use to open. And there was display about the system update failed on the tv. I saw the circular bump drive in the console when I opened it, and before I opened the console the drive can open and close. I remember my friend saying that he sent it to a repair place to try fix it before he gave it to me. So idk why there was a phat drive in a slim, but the disc drive worked before.
Sure it does, under resistors and diodes. Maybe the Slims don't need it, I'm not sure I've only ever glitched phat consoles.

As long as the drive has power from the console, it will open and close. Doesn't mean it actually works or is the correct drive. If it's the correct pcb, just hooking it up as it is would allow the console to complete the update since only the pcb is required to confirm drive status in most cases. You say the drive worked but the console was stuck doing a system update that would not complete. That is a sign that the drive in the system was not the correct one as the drive key must match to confirm the drive is indeed present during the system update process otherwise the update fails.

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sure it does, under resistors and diodes. Maybe the Slims don't need it, I'm not sure I've only ever glitched phat consoles.

As long as the drive has power from the console, it will open and close. Doesn't mean it actually works or is the correct drive. If it's the correct pcb, just hooking it up as it is would allow the console to complete the update since only the pcb is required to confirm drive status in most cases. You say the drive worked but the console was stuck doing a system update that would not complete. That is a sign that the drive in the system was not the correct one as the drive key must match to confirm the drive is indeed present during the system update process otherwise the update fails.
Ok, so I will have to dump the key and flash the drive, right?

If it's the correct pcb, just hooking it up as it is would allow the console to complete the update since only the pcb is required to confirm drive status in most cases.
So are you saying if the PCB is correct then just directly connect it to the Xbox alone? Like connect the dvd PCB to the Xbox without the other components?

Last edited by Entryjyt,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so I will have to dump the key and flash the drive, right?
If you want to use the disc drive, yes. If you just want to use it as an RGH console and not bother with the disc drive, flashing the drive would be optional. There is a plugin that wasn't made public for RGH that allows you to use the disc drive without a key or an improper key and allows you to boot backups on an unflashed drive. If you do some searching you may be able to find a leaked copy. I've tried it, and it did indeed work but decided just to use ConnectX on my RGH and load my games over the network.

So are you saying if the PCB is correct then just directly connect it to the Xbox alone? Like connect the dvd PCB to the Xbox without the other components?
Exactly, but after looking at the PCB you may want to clean up that solder mess where you removed the wires. There are a few bridged pads that may be causing a short in the board.

Last edited by fringle,

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to use the disc drive, yes. If you just want to use it as an RGH console and not bother with the disc drive, flashing the drive would be optional. There is a plugin that wasn't made public for RGH that allows you to use the disc drive without a key or an improper key and allows you to boot backups on an unflashed drive. If you do some searching you may be able to find a leaked copy. I've tried it, and it did indeed work but decided just to use ConnectX on my RGH and load my games over the network.

Exactly, but after looking at the PCB you may want to clean up that solder mess where you removed the wires. There are a few bridged pads that may be causing a short in the board.
When I have time, I will RGH3 the console, and get the cpu and dvd key, then I will deal with the dvd drive flashing later

Can I use the eSATA port on my computer to flash the dvd drive? Or will I have to use the x360 usb pro

Last edited by Entryjyt,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I have time, I will RGH3 the console, and get the cpu and dvd key, then I will deal with the dvd drive flashing later

Can I use the eSATA port on my computer to flash the dvd drive? Or will I have to use the x360 usb pro
Keep in mind that it's possible an RGH might not save the console. With no video it could be a failing APU or even a failing nand. So the RGH is basically a last ditch effort to see if you can get some video output as well as dump your keyvault.

I've read that eSATA may work to flash dvd drives but I have no experience using this method so can't really help with that. From what I've read though you will need an eSATA to SATA adapter of some sort and it's quite possible it will not work. A pci VIA 6421 adapter is pretty cheap on ebay so I would just go that route as it's pretty much guarenteed to work if I were to purchase any hardware to do flashing.

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is something I realized, the internal 4gb memory is missing. Could this be causing an issue? Would that make the console not able to update?

My console:

How it's suppose to be:

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is something I realized, the internal 4gb memory is missing. Could this be causing an issue? Would that make the console not able to update?

My console:

How it's suppose to be:

It's possible but not 100% sure since not all consoles had internal memory. I'm thinking it's basically an internal memory card so the console should still boot without it since the dashboard resides on the nand which is soldered to the motherboard not the internal memory card. It could have saved the video settings there though so resetting the video mode with the method posted previously may help in that regard. A missing internal memory shouldn't cause the system not to update but a missing or incorrect dvd drive with the wrong key will for sure.

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keep in mind that it's possible an RGH might not save the console. With no video it could be a failing APU or even a failing nand. So the RGH is basically a last ditch effort to see if you can get some video output as well as dump your keyvault.
You know what, I think you are probably right. I followed the process of RGH3 but when I got to the Xell part, no video signal came out.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what, I think you are probably right. I followed the process of RGH3 but when I got to the Xell part, no video signal came out.
Before you give up, just for shats and giggles, try it on couple dif tv's. It may be the TV cannot accept the resolulution , or HZ the xbox was set at before. No harm in trying.

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Before you give up, just for shats and giggles, try it on couple dif tv's. It may be the TV cannot accept the resolulution , or HZ the xbox was set at before. No harm in trying.
Well the problem is my other tv, which is Haier 4K tv, it doesn't have composite. It only has 1 component and 4 hdmi inputs. This sony tv on the other hand does have composite, as well as hdmi, but the sony tv isn't 4k.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Did you try both the 10mhz and 27mhz options in j-runner for creating the ecc? Sometimes if one doesn't work, the other will. It could also be possible that it's just dead console. You could try a heat gun re-flow if you don't have a rework station but this is only a temporary fix if it does boot afterwards. If you do try this I would only recommend a heat gun with temperature control as it's very easy to fry the apu beyond repair with this method.

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you try both the 10mhz and 27mhz options in j-runner for creating the ecc? Sometimes if one doesn't work, the other will. It could also be possible that it's just dead console. You could try a heat gun re-flow if you don't have a rework station but this is only a temporary fix if it does boot afterwards. If you do try this I would only recommend a heat gun with temperature control as it's very easy to fry the apu beyond repair with this method.
How do you manually select the mhz? I selected glitch2 and then RGH3 because that's for a trinity xbox 360, and it automatically picked 27 mhz for me. I didn't see an option to change the mhz to 10.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto