Hacking Update dashboard with an old lt firmware on the optical drive to play OG xbox games

chaos_entalpico

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi there,
As per title, I want to upgrade the dashboard to increase OG XBOX compatibility, but I'm not sure on how to proceed due to some custom firmware on DVD drive. A bit on context below.
I recently got an old XBOX360 with jasper motherboard that was sold very cheaply as not working. Turns out, it was just the drive stuck and laser not working. I fixed the drive and replaced the laser. I found in the drive a burned game of Halo reach; the disc is recognized and it install up to 100%, but it does not start as it suggests to check MS page for details. I believe this has to do with some copy protection that came with some latest titles.
I have no plans to burn other games, however I replaced the laser because I found very cheap copy of Call of Chtulu Dark Corners of Earth that I really wanna play (the pc port was so bad that I couldn't go very far in the game). Now, I know that this is a OG XBOX game, but it's officially supported so it should at least start.
I'm new in the XBOX 360 hacking scene, so I have a few doubts on how to proceed. I understand that the compatibility list has been updated with newer dashboards, but I don't want to connect on internet and just upgrade. Some say it's safe, but I found info only on LT 3.0. I'm not sure what version of LT driver has been put on my dvd drive, surely not 3.0 as Halo Reach does not start. So, I'm open to suggestion to play that goddamed game that left me wonder for at least 15 years.
I'm not planning to put RGH for now, I have to learn a couple of things before I try that :), and I'm not gonna try to restore an OG XBOX as I need HDMI in my living room.
Currently my system is on dashboard 2.0.17349.0
Thanks for any tips :)

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there,
As per title, I want to upgrade the dashboard to increase OG XBOX compatibility, but I'm not sure on how to proceed due to some custom firmware on DVD drive. A bit on context below.
I recently got an old XBOX360 with jasper motherboard that was sold very cheaply as not working. Turns out, it was just the drive stuck and laser not working. I fixed the drive and replaced the laser. I found in the drive a burned game of Halo reach; the disc is recognized and it install up to 100%, but it does not start as it suggests to check MS page for details. I believe this has to do with some copy protection that came with some latest titles.
I have no plans to burn other games, however I replaced the laser because I found very cheap copy of Call of Chtulu Dark Corners of Earth that I really wanna play (the pc port was so bad that I couldn't go very far in the game). Now, I know that this is a OG XBOX game, but it's officially supported so it should at least start.
I'm new in the XBOX 360 hacking scene, so I have a few doubts on how to proceed. I understand that the compatibility list has been updated with newer dashboards, but I don't want to connect on internet and just upgrade. Some say it's safe, but I found info only on LT 3.0. I'm not sure what version of LT driver has been put on my dvd drive, surely not 3.0 as Halo Reach does not start. So, I'm open to suggestion to play that goddamed game that left me wonder for at least 15 years.
I'm not planning to put RGH for now, I have to learn a couple of things before I try that :), and I'm not gonna try to restore an OG XBOX as I need HDMI in my living room.
Currently my system is on dashboard 2.0.17349.0
Thanks for any tips :)
You could always do an offline update. Taken from https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/help/xbox-360/console/system-updates-info
  1. Plug your USB flash drive into a USB port on your computer.
  2. Download the update file:
    Xbox 360 system update file
  3. Click Save to save the console update .zip file on your computer.
  4. Unzip the file.
  5. Copy the contents of the .zip file to the root directory of your USB flash drive (for example, E:\). Do not copy the contents to another folder on the USB flash drive (for example, E:\Files).
  6. Unplug the USB flash drive from your computer.
  7. Plug the flash drive into a USB port on your Xbox 360 console.
  8. Restart the console.
  9. When the console restarts, the installation programme starts automatically. When prompted, select Yes to update the new console software.
Here is the link for the offline backward compatibility update as well. It is separate from the main update and compatibility does not improve with a higher dashboard version. RGH would give you slightly better OGxbox compatibility due to being able to install a modified version of this.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=12129
The instructions say to burn a disc but you can do this from USB as well.

Reactions: Jayinem

chaos_entalpico

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Here is the link for the offline backward compatibility update as well. It is separate from the main update and compatibility does not improve with a higher dashboard version. RGH would give you slightly better OGxbox compatibility due to being able to install a modified version of this.
The instructions say to burn a disc but you can do this from USB as well.
Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for the feedback. I didn't know that the backward compatibility was a separate install.
I tried to install the compatibility update, but it doesn't seem to work. The file that downloads from your link is a zip file with a folder ($SystemUpdate) and a file without extension (su20076000_00000000). If I put the usb in the XBOX 360 nothing happen, even after a reboot.
The MS instructions reports this: "Drag default.xex to the CD Folder". However, this file is not included in the zip so I don't know what to do. I tried to rename the file without extension as default.xex and rebooted the console, but I had an error message (E71 System error) with a red flashing light on the console. Removing the pen drive made the console boot normally.
Thanks!

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for the feedback. I didn't know that the backward compatibility was a separate install.
I tried to install the compatibility update, but it doesn't seem to work. The file that downloads from your link is a zip file with a folder ($SystemUpdate) and a file without extension (su20076000_00000000). If I put the usb in the XBOX 360 nothing happen, even after a reboot.
The MS instructions reports this: "Drag default.xex to the CD Folder". However, this file is not included in the zip so I don't know what to do. I tried to rename the file without extension as default.xex and rebooted the console, but I had an error message (E71 System error) with a red flashing light on the console. Removing the pen drive made the console boot normally.
Thanks!
Try just extracting the zip and putting the $SystemUpdate folder on the root of a fat32 usb drive. Put the drive in the console and boot it up and it might install that way.
Another way to force the backward compatibility install is to connect your console to live and insert an OGXbox game. It should download just that update.
If you have the means to remove the hdd from the enclosure and connect it to a pc via usb or directly to sata you can use FatXplorer to manually copy over the data.

Here is the process for doing it manually with FatXplorer
https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/restoring-original-xbox-backwards-compatibility/

chaos_entalpico

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi Fringle,
Try just extracting the zip and putting the $SystemUpdate folder on the root of a fat32 usb drive. Put the drive in the console and boot it up and it might install that way.
That's exactly what I did before renaming the files, but nothing happens.
Another way to force the backward compatibility install is to connect your console to live and insert an OGXbox game. It should download just that update.
I have a flashed DVD drive with a driver older than LT3.0. Is it safe? Some say it's safe, but I found evidence only for LT3.0, not older ones.
If you have the means to remove the hdd from the enclosure and connect it to a pc via usb or directly to sata you can use FatXplorer to manually copy over the data.
I've red of this method, but I understand that you need a jtag/rgh for that, am I wrong? I only have a flashed DVD drive.

Thanks!

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Fringle,

That's exactly what I did before renaming the files, but nothing happens.

I have a flashed DVD drive with a driver older than LT3.0. Is it safe? Some say it's safe, but I found evidence only for LT3.0, not older ones.

I've red of this method, but I understand that you need a jtag/rgh for that, am I wrong? I only have a flashed DVD drive.

Thanks!
It's most likely safe to update. If it was previously flashed, the original owner probably already played games with it so if it's flagged for a ban it's flagged and there isn't much you can do about it. There was one previous update a while back where it would flash the drive back to stock but I don't think they do that anymore. As long as you don't boot improperly made backups you should for the most part be safe. There is also the possibility that it is already banned.

The manual method can be used without a jtag/RGH. It just requires you to remove the hdd from the caddy and attach it to a pc via USB-Sata or directly to sata. Don't use the modified version on a non jtag/RGH system though and just use unmodified one.

Last edited by fringle,
Reactions: chaos_entalpico

chaos_entalpico

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The manual method can be used without a jtag/RGH. It just requires you to remove the hdd from the caddy and attach it to a pc via USB-Sata or directly to sata. Don't use the modified version on a non jtag/RGH system though and just use unmodified one.
IT WORKS! Thanks man! You're my savior!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto