Why is my Xbox 360 Slim not displaying anything after I swapped the disc drive?

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A very long time ago, I had this Xbox 360 slim. It was given to me by a friend because the console could not update for some reason. So I thought it's a brick because it's a software problem, so I left it teared down for a couple of years. Now, I want to try to revive this xbox, but when I tried to turn it on it doesn't display anything. It use to display on the TV, but now it doesn't. I lost the xbox's original disc drive, so I bought a new one, but when I put that in there is no display??? I tried turning the xbox on without the disc drive and still no display. I tried both hdmi and AV, but no output. What is the problem?
(I also want to clarify I still have the xbox's original disc drive's PCB, just not the other components. And I didn't try installing that motherboard into the disc drive yet.)

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mobo in the disc drive is married to the mobo in the xbox360. You need to either swap out and put the old mobo into the new disc drive, or flash the new mobo with the keys from the old mobo. If they are the same disc drive model, swapping mobo is the easiest. No promise that will fix the black screen issue, but know that is how the disc drive on x360 work. Good luck.

Reactions: CoolMe

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A very long time ago, I had this Xbox 360 slim. It was given to me by a friend because the console could not update for some reason. So I thought it's a brick because it's a software problem, so I left it teared down for a couple of years. Now, I want to try to revive this xbox, but when I tried to turn it on it doesn't display anything. It use to display on the TV, but now it doesn't. I lost the xbox's original disc drive, so I bought a new one, but when I put that in there is no display??? I tried turning the xbox on without the disc drive and still no display. I tried both hdmi and AV, but no output. What is the problem?
(I also want to clarify I still have the xbox's original disc drive's PCB, just not the other components. And I didn't try installing that motherboard into the disc drive yet.)

If you no longer have the original disc drive the only option you will have to get the new disc drive working is to RGH the console and retrieve the DVD drive key. You then need to flash the firmware with the key to the new drive. If the new drive isn't the same model as the previous one you may also have to spoof the drive model in the firmware to make the xbox 360 see it as the same drive. Warning is a spoofed firmware may lead to it being banned from live even if it isn't a modded firmware.

EDIT:

Re read it and if it's the same model just put the old pcb in but it's likely not going to fix the no video option. You can try to reset the video mode during boot. Taken from: https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/help/xbox-360/console/tv-or-monitor-screen-is-blank-while-connected

To reset your display settings, follow these steps:
  1. Make sure there’s no disc in the disc tray.
  2. Turn off the console.
  3. Turn on the console.
  4. As the console starts, press and hold the Y button  while pulling the right trigger on the controller. The display settings are reset to the default settings, and then the console automatically restarts.
Xbox 360 E or Xbox 360 S console: To reset display setting on these console models, you can also just turn off the console and then hold the power button on the front of the console down for about 10 seconds. (The lights will flash several times.)

Last edited by fringle,
Reactions: CoolMe and BigOnYa

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Re read it and if it's the same model just put the old pcb in but it's likely not going to fix the no video option. You can try to reset the video mode during boot. Taken from: https://support.xbox.com/en-CA/help/xbox-360/console/tv-or-monitor-screen-is-blank-while-connected

To reset your display settings, follow these steps:
  1. Make sure there’s no disc in the disc tray.
  2. Turn off the console.
  3. Turn on the console.
  4. As the console starts, press and hold the Y button  while pulling the right trigger on the controller. The display settings are reset to the default settings, and then the console automatically restarts.
Xbox 360 E or Xbox 360 S console: To reset display setting on these console models, you can also just turn off the console and then hold the power button on the front of the console down for about 10 seconds. (The lights will flash several times.)
Can I do the video reset thing with a third party wired controller? Or does it have to be a first party wireless xbox 360 controller? I don't have a xbox 360 controller at the moment, so I will buy one, but which one to buy?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I do the video reset thing with a third party wired controller? Or does it have to be a first party wireless xbox 360 controller? I don't have a xbox 360 controller at the moment, so I will buy one, but which one to buy?
3rd party controller should work if it works on the 360 for regular use. You can probably get a pretty cheap genuine second hand controller from ebay if the 3rd party one doesn't work. I however wouldn't go out and purchase a genuine controller just to reset the video mode unless I was 100% positive that the 3rd party one didn't work with the 360 for regular use of browsing the menus or playing games.

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just rewatched the video, and the power button light says the xbox does not seem to be booting (flashing light, not solid lit). I'd swap that mobo on disc drive first, then when/if it fully boots up (solid lit), see if you have video to tv,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just rewatched the video, and the power button light says the xbox does not seem to be booting (flashing light, not solid lit). I'd swap that mobo on disc drive first, then when/if it fully boots up (solid lit), see if you have video to tv,
Flashing centre light like that usually means it isn't detecting the disc drive. I did notice though that the ring doesn't seem to be lighting up at all so this would indicate to me that there is a boot failure somewhere else.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Flashing centre light like that usually means it detect the disc drive. I did notice though that the ring doesn't seem to be lighting up at all so this would indicate to me that there is a boot failure somewhere else.
If OP using a different disc drive, without coping the keys that are married to the Xbox mobo, or swapping the mobo on disc drive, it will not boot.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If OP using a different disc drive, without coping the keys that are married to the Xbox mobo, or swapping the mobo on disc drive, it will not boot.
I'm not sure though if it would result in a black screen. The 360 can normally still boot without a disc drive attached so I'm thinking something else might be broken if they've also attempted to boot it with no drive attached as they stated.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is also no internal hdd attached to x360 in the video, not sure if that would also prevent boot or not.

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is also no internal hdd attached to x360 in the video, not sure if that would also prevent boot or not.
It shouldn't. They can normally boot without hdd and dvd drive attached. It should be displaying an error code of some sort if a fault is found during boot though. I would attempt to get a secondary error code from it since there is nothing indicated on the ring. Give this a try after waiting about 30 seconds from the press of the power button :

While holding the sync button on the front of the console, press and release the disc eject button. The lights will begin flashing in a different pattern. The number of flashing lights in this new pattern determines the first digit of the secondary error code, ranging from 0-3, with all four lights flashing indicating a 0. Continue to hold the sync button, and press and release the eject button three more times to obtain the second, third, and fourth digits of the secondary error code in the same method.

It may indicate a fault that is not visual.

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's seems like I have the wrong model of the disc drive, because the pcb isn't the same. I'll have to go look for the correct model. I did find this chart of all the drive models that are in an xbox 360:
Photo of pcb:

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's seems like I have the wrong model of the disc drive, because the pcb isn't the same. I'll have to go look for the correct model. I did find this chart of all the drive models that are in an xbox 360:
Photo of pcb:

You can use that new drive, but you will have to copy over your keys from the old drive to it, and "Spoof" the drive. Read this: https://quade.co/2017/xbox-360-dvd-firmware-key/

Reactions: fringle

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Photo of pcb:

Looks like that PCB is from a liteon DG-16D4S. It may still work as a replacement for that drive but you would have to be sure when reconnecting the soldered wires that they go to their proper locations.

The pic you posted is for Phat dvd drives and they are slightly different from the Slim models.

Edit:
After a second look that pcb looks like it's from a DG-16DS2S instead. Which is odd since I don't think they shipped these with slim consoles. Are you sure that PCB came from this xbox?

Last edited by fringle,

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use that new drive, but you will have to copy over your keys from the old drive to it, and "Spoof" the drive. Read this: https://quade.co/2017/xbox-360-dvd-firmware-key/
But I heard that if you do that you can't go online?
Post automatically merged:

Looks like that PCB is from a liteon DG-16D4S. It may still work as a replacement for that drive but you would have to be sure when reconnecting the soldered wires that they go to their proper locations.

The pic you posted is for Phat dvd drives and they are slightly different from the Slim models.
Do you know what type of drive is the replacement drive I have?
Also do you mean the picture I posted about the 4 different drives are for the regular white xbox?

Edit:
After a second look that pcb looks like it's from a DG-16DS2S instead. Which is odd since I don't think they shipped these with slim consoles. Are you sure that PCB came from this xbox?
I'm sure, because I clearly remember taking apart the original drive to see if anything was wrong with it, since back in the day when I just got this xbox from my friend I didn't know a lot about this kind of stuff. When I opened it I remember on the top metal part, there was a circular bump dent on it, which looks like where the disc would fit if there was a disc. Kind of like the 3rd and the 4th drive the the picture earlier. So I am sure the pcb was the console's drive's pcb and not some other drive's pcb.

Last edited by Entryjyt,

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But I heard that if you do that you can't go online?

Do you know what type of drive is the replacement drive I have?
Also do you mean the picture I posted about the 4 different drives are for the regular white xbox?

I'm sure, because I clearly remember taking apart the original drive to see if anything was wrong with it, since back in the day when I just got this xbox from my friend I didn't know a lot about this kind of stuff. When I opened it I remember on the top metal part, there was a circular bump dent on it, which looks like where the disc would fit if there was a disc. Kind of like the 3rd and the 4th drive the the picture earlier. So I am sure the pcb was the console's drive's pcb and not some other drive's pcb.
The drive you describe with the circular bump is a Liteon DG-16DS2S. The replacement drive you have there is a DG-16DS4S or DG-16DS5S. You might be able to get away with swapping that PCB though. The drives are very similar but it may burn out the laser if they are too different. To fit a replacement DG-16DS2S in a slim it will require some trimming since the only replacements you can buy are for Phat consoles.

Yes those drives are for the original white/black phat versions.

You can go online with a spoofed firmware but it's very risky as it's likely the console will be banned even if not using it for playing backups.

However, before spending more money on a replacement drive, I think you'd want to get the no video output issue sorted out as it could just be a waste of money if the console is dead.

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
However, before spending more money on a replacement drive, I think you'd want to get the no video output issue sorted out as it could just be a waste of money if the console is dead.
It use to put out a "system update failed" error when my friend first gave it to me. But for some reason now it won't display.
And IF the display works, does it still display something on the tv even with the flashing green light?

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It use to put out a "system update failed" error when my friend first gave it to me. But for some reason now it won't display.
And IF the display works, does it still display something on the tv even with the flashing green light?
I think your friend gave it to you with the wrong disc drive to be honest. The Xbox 360 won't complete a system update without a working dvd drive.

It should output video and boot to the dashboard if working properly regardless if a dvd or hard drive is drive attached.

If it wasn't detecting the video cable the ring would be flashing amber.

It's possible that it's stuck attempting an update and not able to boot properly to display video. Like I said though, I think you have the wrong dvd drive pcb and if so the only way you're going to get the drive key is to RGH the console which may be problematic if your console is stuck doing an update but it may work as well.

If it were me, I'd RGH it and see if it boots Xell so you can dump the keyvault. Then flash back the stock nand backup you made before writing Xell and remove the RGH wiring. Write the key to the new drives firmware and hope for the best when you boot it back up. Flashing the dvd drive may be an issue for you as well though as from what I remember you need a specific sata chipset for it to work. VIA 6421 if I remember correctly.

• Love

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree to above. Or get a X360USB pro 2 if you can find nowdays. At this point I would not worry about using it online or not, but just worry about getting it to work. RGH is the way to go anyways imo.
Edit: after seeing the prices for X360USB pro, I would def just RGH it. Too bad you do not live close to me (Columbus,Ohio) I'd let you use my X360USB pro 2 to read the drive, to get the keys. Good luck!
Screenshot 2023-12-04 193326.png

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: fringle

Entryjyt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think your friend gave it to you with the wrong disc drive to be honest. The Xbox 360 won't complete a system update without a working dvd drive.

It should output video and boot to the dashboard if working properly regardless if a dvd or hard drive is drive attached.

If it wasn't detecting the video cable the ring would be flashing amber.

It's possible that it's stuck attempting an update and not able to boot properly to display video. Like I said though, I think you have the wrong dvd drive pcb and if so the only way you're going to get the drive key is to RGH the console which may be problematic if your console is stuck doing an update but it may work as well.

If it were me, I'd RGH it and see if it boots Xell so you can dump the keyvault. Then flash back the stock nand backup you made before writing Xell and remove the RGH wiring. Write the key to the new drives firmware and hope for the best when you boot it back up. Flashing the dvd drive may be an issue for you as well though as from what I remember you need a specific sata chipset for it to work. VIA 6421 if I remember correctly.
So are you saying hack the console and boot into Xell? And dump the dvd key and flash it on another drive, and then reflash the nand?

Also I guess I don't need to play online on the xbox 360 because they are ending support for it anyway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto