Hacking Zelda BOTW requests update, can't start without

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got my SX Pro today and wanted to try out some games, everything works so far and if there's updates for games I can skip. But zelda BOTW says update mandatory I can't start the game without. Any idea what I could do? Maybe use the other release (there's two, original one and the new revision)

Alexdlz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I had that problem with mk8, took the risk and went to update on the original firmware. I mean you’ll always be at risk of a ban and even a brick lol. Fuck it. Go update the game.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

nightweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
From what I've read and seen myself it seems as if the switch itself knows that there's an update available and won't run the game without, I heard it is because the switch had the game/update before but the data was deleted. When happened to me I booted back into OFW to update then put airplane mode on and rebooted into SX, It would mean connecting to Nintendo's update server which could risk a flag for a ban.

Last edited by nightweb,
Reactions: Alexdlz

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I've read and seen myself it seems as if the switch itself knows that there's an update available and won't run the game without, I heard it is because the switch had the game before but the data was deleted. When happened to me I booted back into OFW to update then put airplane mode on and rebooted into SX, It would mean connecting to Nintendo's update server which could risk a flag for a ban.
Yes. I had the game originally and also savedata for it. Probably for an updated version of the game and now the update is gone.

Alexdlz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
From what I've read and seen myself it seems as if the switch itself knows that there's an update available and won't run the game without, I heard it is because the switch had the game before but the data was deleted. When happened to me I booted back into OFW to update then put airplane mode on and rebooted into SX, It would mean connecting to Nintendo's update server which could risk a flag for a ban.

Yep thats what i did. And indeed, it’s because you had the game before and deleted its data.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
There is another BBB dump out there that actually includes the update.
It says v001 in the file name.
Use google and get that.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is another BBB dump out there that actually includes the update.
It says v001 in the file name.
Use google and get that.
Yup, I'm not sure whether I got the original release or the rev001.
But it's not that much of a deal, I probably won't play it again anyway. Finished it when it released.

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But it's not that much of a deal, I probably won't play it again anyway. Finished it when it released.
I believe you can enter recovery mode (not to be confused with RCM) and delete the update files from there, and then the game will start. But I might be wrong.

EDIT: I think I got your problem wrong. You don't have the update files, but maybe still going in recovery mode might delete the information of the update's existence

Last edited by lukhart,

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ran BOTW fine with my sx pro. Wants to update (as do most games I've loaded) but you can start without (top option), System is on latest update just cuz it was easier to get exfat that way then the method for hacking it in on lower firmwares.

nightweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland

While Not something I would suggest doing, but something that might work for you. I've read the DevMenu app apparently run through LayeredFS (not sure I haven't messed with this) using Pokemon Quest as a donor. some of the pages I read said it can "reset" the patch level, it might let you use it without needing to patch up.

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran into the same issue playing the legit BotW cart and buying the DLC before using SX OS. I got the rev001 dump and it would not boot without the update. I'm assuming because I had saved data that came from a later version of the game. I Switched to OFW and got the (rather large) update for the dump which brought it back to v1.5.0 and everything is working perfect now including the purchased DLC. Don't care about getting banned as I have zero interest in online play, I just wanted to make sure I had the one game I wanted with DLC was updated and working before getting potentially banned for updating a dumped cart. Having to pop out the cart before switching games when you play 99% in docked mode was starting to be a pain.

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a rev002 out there already. It comes with 1.5 update
So my question would be if I had bought the DLC while using a legit card and updated to 1.5.0 on OFW, would the rev002 dump not ask for any software update?

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ran BOTW fine with my sx pro. Wants to update (as do most games I've loaded) but you can start without (top option), System is on latest update just cuz it was easier to get exfat that way then the method for hacking it in on lower firmwares.

That doesn't apply to the OP. He had previously updated BOTW. His Switch won't launch the title unless he updates the game to that version or higher. Unless there is a way to clear the data that tracks the highest update previously installed. However, if that method required LayeredFS it would probably be pointless since it seems like you'd be at a higher risk for a ban than just updating in OFW. Not to mention the fact that updating in OFW would be way easier and you'd have an updated game.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I updated in OFW and everything is fine now, thanks. Had to do the same with a number of other games, basically all games that I ever owned originally and that had updates before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.