Gaming YouTube alternative?

Ziggy Zigzagoon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
There has been quite a bit of talk about YouTube being quite excessive in deleting videos over copyright reasons (even when the videos are just AMVs, or again, controversial), among other messes. Therefore, I have been considering setting up an account in a different site.
What is desired:
  • Not needing to pay to sign up or upload videos
  • Ablitiy to comment on videos
  • Lack of censorship
  • Web-based uploading
What I desire, but not require, is the ability to download videos. Basis in free (or open-source) software is also pursued.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest Vimeo. Im not sure about their stance on copyright/censorship though.

Also depending on your browser, Firefox and Chrome have addons that allow you to grab embedded objects and videos from select sites.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All decent video sharing sites respect copyright laws, as they should. If for no other reason, it's the best way to stay online and stay out of lawsuits (obviously there are other reasons, i.e. it's the law, and it's the right thing to do - copyright holders deserve money).

Reactions: 1 person

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There has been some discussion about this in various circles.

I will say though although I agree AMVs are almost certainly a net positive for the bands and animation companies involved they are well within their rights to have it pulled and google pretty much have to comply to keep running.

Still assuming it is just videos you want to link out I would look to the also ran video sites in dailymotion, vimeo and metacafe- all their reward programs are a bit lower than youtube and you are less likely to get people clicking by but if all you want is a place for videos to post on forums and such you can probably do OK with those for a while at least.

They should be more to your liking if that list above is what you want.

Edit- I shall echo the addons and such can usually grab things from those sorts of sites.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I uploaded an AMV to Youtube a REALLY long time ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvxGasDQSD0
It was blocked for about 2 years before Warner Music Group finally decided it was not going to negatively affect Nada Surf's popularity (wow, bad pun).

If you really want some guarantee that you can avoid censorship indefinitely, you'll have to actually pay for hosting service. There are some out there that cater specifically to this implied demand: what you'd need is an unlimited bandwidth plan on a real datacenter host such as DreamHost. It's not CPU intensive or anything so a bottom of the barrel plan is usually fine as long as there's no bandwidth quota.

On the other hand, you could consider getting into the torrent scene and releasing AMV's officially as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show