Your Viewpoint on Computer Science

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by petethepug, May 29, 2016.

?

Art OR Code

1. Art

33.3%
  2. Code

66.7%
  1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I have been getting into Computer Science ever since I was 11 years old. It's been since I been thinking of changing my carrier base from a Computer Scientist to a Graphic Artist, or Visual Artist.

Now first off before I get all these crazy responses of "why this thread is even here." Or "shitposting" I am asking older people (who have actually done computer science.) If I am willing to take the classes, before going into adult hood wasting like 1000's of dollars on lessons.

First off my skills:
    My "mental" skills

I have been very interested in art as well. I have actually done many art projects before written in music, art, or visual art (dig media art.) My main being digital media. I have always dreamed thinking creatively, and could think of ideas easily than others with a little brain storming.

I'm currently on track taking DigMedia. After that I may take PhotoShop to use it for image restoring, advanced art, etc... Coding is limited to where I live, and the only way to get in a legit computer science class (for game coding, or learning very advanced Java Code used in placement of games, or hardware.) Would be in a AP Class, and knowing the following.

- Alg 1 & 2
    - Geometry
    - Physiscs (Understanding Elecrity Currents.)
    - Pre Calculus (For %'s Intergers, etc.)
    - Calclus (Same thing as Calculus, but with more advancement.)

I'm not looking to know so much to know how to make a NAND. But just enough to develop video games, websites, and code from scratch, and or from the beginning.

So tell me which should I do?

2. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Personally I would just go with whatever you're interested in. There's little to no point in studying something if you're not interested.

3. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    It really depends on what you're into. I've been tinkering with, building, and troubleshooting PC's since I was probably 10 just for fun, and I never mind doing it at all for people who need help. So I think I would be best in IT, though it's not very inspiring to go to school on it since it's too expensive to attend here, even with the tuition reimbursement that my employer offers. :mellow: I do plan on getting A+ certified through CompTIA, hoping that can get me somewhere towards a promotion/transfer at my employer. As long as I make enough money to be comfortable while doing something I've been able to do for years, I don't mind.

But I've also been using creative tools like GIMP, a little Photoshop, I plan on learning flash to animate for fun, etc.

Just look at what you do best and feel most comfortable doing, and improve on it. By the way, I pretty much depend on calculators as well, and I'm naturally horrible at algebra, or any advanced math in general, so I feel more comfortable in creatives. It's kind of lame when computers or tech is your best skill, yet math is one of your worst struggles despite how important it is.

I do know for a fact, if you want to get into coding, Java is a good place to start. A lot of companies that want programmers rely on Java..... For some reason. I'm not a programmer but I heard Java was 'meh'.

Last edited by Selim873, May 29, 2016