Your Most Moving / Powerful Game Intro

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Kouen Hasuki, Mar 15, 2013.

Mar 15, 2013
  1. Kouen Hasuki
    OP

Member Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Norway
    As the title says, What for you was the most personally powerful or moving intro for a game.

The age or platform does not matter, Providing Youtube links would be awesome to show it to others if possible!

I'll start

Fallout (as in the first one not 3 / NV)

Why: It hits you how fucked the world is once it pans out slowly, echoing showing how lifeless the world has become and leaves at least me with a sense of loneliness. the Voice and dialogue for what happened before the atomic war happened also resonate to me personally as I see this is the sort of thing that would happen given humanity and how it is.

How about you guys

Zantigo likes this.

2. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I've yet to play the game, but the short story it's based is as horrifying as they come. (If you haven't yet read it, you can find the full thing here)

I've been meaning to play through the game adaptation; if its intro is any indication, it's a faithful one.

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Bastion and Journey probably take the cake.

Most other games that moved me did so later in the game (The Walking Dead, Spec Ops: The Line, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3).

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
  5. kristianity77

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    My vote has to go to the "playable" intro from FarCry 3. The intro all the way to the proper start in the village is astounding.

Satangel likes this.
  6. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Newcomer Dr. Ivo Robotnik All hail the Eggman Empire!

Netherlands
    Red Alert 2! *slap'd*

In all seriousness, a fair few games come to mind, for me. It's so tricky to choose. No, I won't pick a Sonic game, because despite being possibly the biggest Robotnik-fanboy around, the games do not have powerful intros.

I suppose I'll echo Guild McCommunist's choice - Bastion. The opening level introduces you to such a strange story, it can't help but keep you going.

Another good one is BioShock. Andrew Ryan's introduction to Rapture is phenomenally well done.

Too lazy just now, but I'll see about youtube links and all that rot later. :P

Maxternal likes this.
  7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Speaking of, how did we get this far without Red Alert 3's glorious intro?

8. DarkShinigami

Member DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

United States

one of my favorite game openings i got alot more that i cant think of At the moment

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I am with the others- openings rarely do a thing for me though at this point I do not expect them to do anything so I rarely give them a chance.

Still if I must go for emotional reactions.... probably monkey eating a melon as a cracktro on various GBA games

Alternatively I have been known to spend quite some time on character creation screens in games like might and magic where initial class mattered and was not a completely arbitrary choice in the long run.

2ndApex, EZ-Megaman and NahuelDS like this.
  10. RPG Hacker

Member RPG Hacker GBAtemp Regular

Germany

I actually wanted to embed the PAL version with the narrator here, because that is what I grew up with and I think the narrator kinda adds to the atmosphere. But I couldn't find a clear version of it without the main menu and the main menu destroys the atmosphere more than the missing narrator.

11. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    It's not particularly moving, but I love the intro to Solatorobo, especially the second one (does that even count as an intro though?)

12. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    I don't typically watch intros, but I remember this one because it was like a Saturday morning cartoon intro:

[media]

EMP Knightmare likes this.
  13. Wolvenreign

Member Wolvenreign Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat

United States
    I'm probably in the minority with this one.

14. Silverthorn

Member Silverthorn Spiky!

France
    For the PC, I would say Warcraft III. The intro and all the cinematics were so awesome that sometimes
    I launched the game just to rewatch them. It's been years since I played the game though. Might reinstall it some day.

As for the DS and games I played more or less recently, I would say Valkyrie profile:Covenant of the plume and Solatorobo:Red The Hunter.
    I didn't play the first one much, but for a DS game I find the intro extremely impressive. I'm probably not being very objective for the second, since it's one of my favourites on DS.

15. andy26129

Member andy26129 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Original Red and Blue Pokemon games. That Nidoran has some guts to go up against a Gengar.

16. kupo3000

Member kupo3000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Still looking forward to see this one translated someday.

17. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    I'm not the most well versed in intros but reading through the above posts I had almost forgotten about Red Alert 2. That was a good one. (and that comment may just show how limited my experience is) I had been planning to say Xenoblade (maybe because that was the most recent one worthy of nomination I had come across so it was the first to come to mind)

BUT ...

While I was typing this I remembered Homeworld. That's the one that takes my vote. That line in there that ends "...Higara (our home)" just really got me even though the visuals weren't anything to write home about.

Youtube is blocked where I'm at right now so I'll have to owe you the videos for later ... (also means I couldn't watch those from previous posts and realize how good or bad mine are by comparison.)

18. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    One of my favourite intro's is the one from "Dark Colony", a highly-underrated strategy game. Enjoy!

...Dirty space maggots. :angry:

19. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    In before inevitable FFVII mention...

Anyway, not going to be popular but screw you all, you're wrong!

Edit- Actually the intro to FFVIII is pretty damn good too.

EZ-Megaman and NahuelDS like this.
  20. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Newcomer Dr. Ivo Robotnik All hail the Eggman Empire!

Netherlands

There, finally got off my arse and posted it. This is one of the most well-done introductions I've seen in bloody ages. Yay Andrew Ryan. :P

Was thinking about FF7, but although it's one of my favourite games of all time, IN MY OPINION (sit down, ye whiners), the intro gives away very little. It's well done, and suits its purpose, but it's not as sublimely epic as others I've seen. :P