Your favorite fan-made projects?

Sometimes enough is enough and fans just pick themselves up and say "Fine, I'll do it myself".

Ever since the early days of computing, enthusiasts have taken it upon themselves to realise their dream projects and have created some truly amazing as well as equally insane homemade projects. Some can be the result of a single person while others can be the products of entire teams working together.

Whether the idea is to resurrect a long-forgotten franchise, or to build upon and approve an existing product; or whether the ambition stems from a long seated desire for improvements that just never come to pass - the results of these projects can often outclass the original and even lead to the developers getting recognised and even hired by the IP owners. A recent example is the 2011 port of Sonic CD - a project that started out as a fan made proof of concept on YouTube only to later be greenlit and picked up by SEGA.

More often than not, fan made projects tread a very thin line when it comes to legality. See this interesting piece on Gamesutra that takes a deep look into the legality of such projects.

Historically, Nintendo are known for their aggressive stance toward fan made projects and regularly issue and demand takedowns whereas SEGA on the other hand are much more lenient and have outright publicly stated that they are OK with fan made projects as long as they don't seek to profit from them.

Some notable fan made projects:

AM2R - Another Metroid 2 Remake

am2r1.png am2r2.png

Built for Windows and ported to Linux, Android and even the Vita, AM2R is a ground-up remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus released for Game Boy in 1991 and features graphics and design similar to that of Super Metroid for the SNES. A DMCA takedown was issued by Nintendo who later went on to release an official remake of Metroid 2, but the author continued work on the project in secret.

:arrow: AM2R

Black Mesa

blackmesa1.png blackmesa2.png

Over a decade in the making, Black Mesa is a remake of the original Half Life within the Source engine. It even caught the eye of Valve who not only let the project continue but after its completion last year, even allowed it to be sold through Steam.

:arrow: Black Mesa on Steam

Mother 4 / Oddity

oddity1.jpg oddity2.png

Mother 4 (now renamed Oddity) is a brand new official indie game that takes a lot of inspiration from its precursor, from the look of the text boxes, to the character designs, and especially the battle system. While the game is still in development, a trailer was released back in January of 2020.

:arrow: Oddity on Twitter

Sonic Utopia

utopia1.png utopia2.jpg

Sonic Utopia is a single level proof-of-concept built to demonstrate how classic Sonic could play and control within a 3D environment. Using the full momentum based physics of the original games, Utopia provides an open sandbox style world to explore and test out Sonic's capabilities.

:arrow: Sonic Utopia on Archive.org

What are some of your favourite fan-made projects?

Let us know below!​

Last edited by shaunj66,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Black Mesa is definitely up there, Half Life 1 has always been one of my favorite classic FPS games so getting what is almost a complete remake in the various Source engines was 10/10 all around.

Valve's behavior towards it is exactly how every other dev should handle fan projects like this, they were in support of it since it's been worked on, and even now Valve is supporting another fan-made remaster for Half Life 2 from the Half Life 2: Update team, too.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Streets of rage 5.2!

It combines streets of rage 1, 2, and 3. You can select different attributes from each one. The weapon system, the music, blood, guns, and more. It’s just so well put together. Try it, if you like beat ‘em ups.
Can't believe I forgot that one!

As for me , it should come to no surprise that my favourite is Sonic Utopia. It just feels incredible to play in a way that no other 3D platformer let alone 3D Sonic game has come close to. While it's not perfect (mostly the level design being all over the place - even though it was intended that way for the demo) I would really love to see a full fledged game control similar to this. I come back to it regularly just to breeze through!

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I follow a project called openmw (which many of you may have heard of as it was ported to switch)

Basically it's a total reimplementation of the Morrowind engine - and can run the game on any modern platform including Mac, windows and Linux

They have done so many cool things but one of the cooler ones is a side project which allows multiplayer Morrowind

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The copyright over visual assets and music is way too long IMO. That's keeps amazing stuff from being done on mod and fan projects territory.

There is a curious fact about fan games here in Brazil. There was a mod for Counter Strike back on the day that was sold on pirate game places that led to the official Counter Strike game be banned from Brazil for a certain time. This mod featured a Rio de Janeiro stage, with drug dealers battling cops. It was banned due to a music that allegedly make crime apology.

Anyway, for the fan games I remember most:

-Mario Royale was amazing
-there are many pokemon games too (I like Crystal Clear)
-Sonic Mania may be include here with an asterisk
-Mario 64 PC

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically wouldn't the Mother 3 TL Project fall under a fan made effort? Given NoA's complete and utter ignorance and/or teasing of the idea of ever releasing it themselves fans took it upon themselves to form a group effort to properly TL the game for the English understanding audience. Then again its probably still not considered a full on fan project since it's just a modded game.

In that case I put my cards on the Tile World/Chips Challenge Fandom folk who have to this day continued to make level packs for the games that exist out there, even with the OG game creator Chuck Sommerville's approval backing the project. This still makes me happy as hell to see be a thing after so many years.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Are mods okey to list as well?
A mod is a "fan made project" so yes.

As for me:
- Movie Battles II (Jedi Academy Mod)
- Space Exploration (Factorio Mod)
- Wiimms Mario Kart Fun (Mario Kart Wii Hack with hundreds of courses)
- Synergies Mod (Torchlight II Mod)

Last edited by lordelan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol