ROM Hack Yet ANOTHER ST thread!

TheRealeDeale

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm using the latest Cyclo firmware, the 1.5.64 beta or whichever. As you've no doubt figured out by now, the train controls in my version of spirit tracks aren't showing up. The patch is entirely useless; there are no instructions for it whatsoever, and all i've ever found on the matter only say "use the patch, and there you have it!". Which is useless. What do I actually have to do? Please...I've been trying to figure this out for the past few hours, and even made a new email/account to get on here after i forgot my info for allllll my other ones.

bRKcRE

Trophies
XP
Country
of course it has instructions.....well, at least teh version i downloaded had instructions.....

make sure the game and the patch have the same name, then run the batch file.....cant be more simple really..

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rename the ROM as "xpa-lzst.nds", put it in the same folder as the patch, and run the batch file.

...But I'm pretty sure you don't need it, because i think CycloDS updated to fix Spirit Tracks.

TheRealeDeale

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, for whatever reason, it didnt work on my 1.56 until i applied the patch. Now the train controls are working, but....
my save is gone!
but wait! before you say "why, TheRealeDeale, that problem is common! There's a thread on it on the first page!" I'll have to tell you that I've
a) read those threads
and
b) understand nothing about how i fix it, only that my save file size is wrong.

I don't care why it's gone, I just need to fix it. And I haven't been able to find any save past the forest temple; iff that even is the right way of going about it.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
TheRealeDeale said:
So, I'm using the latest Cyclo firmware, the 1.5.64 beta or whichever. As you've no doubt figured out by now, the train controls in my version of spirit tracks aren't showing up. The patch is entirely useless; there are no instructions for it whatsoever, and all i've ever found on the matter only say "use the patch, and there you have it!". Which is useless. What do I actually have to do? Please...I've been trying to figure this out for the past few hours, and even made a new email/account to get on here after i forgot my info for allllll my other ones.
1. Read the NFO that comes with the patch.
2. Stop forgetting your login info and making GBAtemp accounts.
3. If your save file is the problem, use this one.

TheRealeDeale

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the NFO's I found were either corrupted, or unreadable because I lacked the program (I was told they opened with Notepad, but a search for Notepad didn't really help much).
So, to use this save (it works on the Cyclo, I can only assume), I take an unpatched, "clean" copy of the ROM (which is to say, it would normally not have working train controls?), put this save in the same folder as it, and give them the same name?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Evo firmware 1.56 beta 5 supposedly fixes Spirit Tracks so that it just works without the crack or the save file (I haven't tested this myself, but reports at the TC forums have been favorable).

For earlier versions, you need both the AP crack (not the "clean" rom) and the 1MB save file. The crack fixes the missing train controls, and the save file fixes the game not saving, so you need both.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheRealeDeale said:
All the NFO's I found were either corrupted, or unreadable because I lacked the program (I was told they opened with Notepad, but a search for Notepad didn't really help much).
So, to use this save (it works on the Cyclo, I can only assume), I take an unpatched, "clean" copy of the ROM (which is to say, it would normally not have working train controls?), put this save in the same folder as it, and give them the same name?
.nfo (Info) files are just plain text... You can open them with ANY text reader.
Just right click -> Open with -> Notepad / Wordpad / Notepad++ / Microsoft Word / OpenOffice Writer.

But if you're having this much trouble simply opening a text file, I fear patching the game in the provided way will be beyond you.
Download xdelta UI: http://filetrip.net/f6934-xdelta-UI.html
Extract it to the folder with the LoZ:ST patch.
Copy your game to the folder.
Run the xdeltaUI.exe
On the line for Patch, press Open and choose the patch file (usually ends with "xdelta").
On the line for Source File, press Open and choose your ROM.
On the line for Output File, press ... and choose a NEW name for your patched ROM.
Press Patch on the bottom.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TheRealeDeale said:
I've never seen a PC that didn't already have Notepad on it. Right click > Open With... > Notepad didn't work? Seriously? I'm guessing your problems are going to boil down to a lot of user error. The game should already work on the Cyclo firmware you claim to use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @hazbeans, welcome