Y-Cable vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by godreborn, Aug 23, 2019.

1. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I have a self-powered vwii hdd, but I'm wondering if I still need a y-cable? I'm a bit paranoid, 'cause my previous hdd died at some point. I think the drive was defective, since it was less than a year old. anyway, will using a y cable hurt anything or is it not even worth using since the hdd is self-powered? I'll have to use an extension cable, since the enclosure I chose uses a printer usb 2.0 connection.

2. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    If your hard drive plugs into a wall I don't see any reason to use a y-cable. It serves no purpose and will not extend the life of your hard drive at all.

godreborn likes this.
  3. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    that's what I figured. I already bought a new cable for a couple bucks, so I might as well keep it for something else. I'm not sure if the data port can even receive power through it.

4. OkazakiTheOtaku

OkazakiTheOtaku no thanks, I don't want a custom title

Jul 20, 2016
    Japan
    The purpose of the Y cable is to draw power from a seperate cable than the data. If you're plugging into an AC adapter then it's getting all of the power from there, not from the bus. Ergo, a Y cable would do nothing.

godreborn likes this.
  5. godreborn
    OP

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    thanks, guys. that's what I was thinking, but I've been a bit paranoid about my hdds.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted