OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi All,

I have here a broken Xbox360.
The problem is that the GPU is broken(Graphic Card).
There is no output at the screen...
I don't have warranty...

How can I solve that?
Do you guys have tips for me?

Kind Regards,

Rik

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No graphics output is usually the final step before red ring of death. Did you have random probably green lines and/or spots or other artefacts dotted around the image in the days leading up this- if yes then that gets far more likely.

It might be a converter (aka ANA or HANA) or but chances are it is GPU.

You are going to want to reflow it or reball it- I covered a few methods http://gbatemp.net/t193168-considering-a-3...p;#entry2427152

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mine did this.
We overheated it using sticks in the fans and a towel over it.
It worked for 3 months after that but then it broke with no warning one day.
I don't know why overheating it works apparently it's the solder or something but I've heard loads of different stories.

My advice; overheat it and it will go into a standby mode (or off, I can't remember) and then try. If it doesn't work then take it apart, remove dust from motherboard and try again. (Not sure which way around you want to try these because you're out of warranty anyway as you said.)

If it does start working again, prepare yourself to say goodbye to it again at some point.
frown.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The link in my first post has a bunch of methods- all the useful ones are proper electronics repair type techniques though (I strongly advise against the towel method as it will probably damage the rest of the components on the board as well- active electronics and heat do not play well together) aside from the penny fix which really should sit alongside a heating based method.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The best solution is reballing (preferably with good solder) but that is very difficult
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIwNSBtQKUw...feature=related and a bunch of related videos should give you an idea of what goes here.

Reflowing is the next best but that is split into techniques similar to the reballing one (big IR lamp) which is probably the best right through to use a heatgun/paint stripper on the thing. Ideally you want to preheat the board a bit as well to lessen local heating but few opt for this. I say again do not do the towel fix as it will not be good for everything else on the 360.

The penny fix aims to properly support the 360 motherboard to lessen the chances of warping continuing which sometimes fixes things in and of itself (the little push it gives is enough to reform the bad connection). Most people do this in conjunction with another fix to try and prevent the RRoD returning.

Replaced xclamps (at least some of them) contain a measure of the penny fix but most of what they do is pull the chip hard and in doing so hopefully reform the dodgy connections that are giving you the problems which when coupled with an overheating session (there are minimal thermal lockouts on the 360 GPU) should get a bit of reflow happening.

Sebastian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rikdegraaff said:
Hi All,

I have here a broken Xbox360.
The problem is that the GPU is broken(Graphic Card).
There is no output at the screen...
I don't have warranty...

How can I solve that?
Do you guys have tips for me?

Kind Regards,

Rik
pay some dollars to get it fixed, but if you have the money, buy the arcade since it comes with an xbox with no hardrive that you already have.
What's more,You must be careful with your xbox360 in the future...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse