Gaming Xbox 360 Pro, Elite, or Arcade?

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after doing a google search and trying to find the answer, I still need just bit more confirmation. I want an Xbox 360 for my son and I, I'm not too worried about online play, but I want it to play all xbox360 games and have good quality and speed, etc. Would the Xbox360 Arcade be good for someone like me? Is there any difference between it and the Pro or Elite as far as performance or game compatibility goes? Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I'm thinking of getting one for my son's 8th birthday
yaynds.gif

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
None have performance or compatibility differences ... they all play the same games ... just hard drive size differences, color of casing, etc.

The Arcade has no hard-drive, but comes with a memory unit, which is good for a few saves ... also, if you are not gonna be downloading games or content, it may well be enough for you.

You'd still be better off getting a model with a hard-drive though, in the long run ... saves you having to buy one later.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
thebobevil said:
You'd still be better off getting a model with a hard-drive though, in the long run ... saves you having to buy one later.

Or, you can get the Arcade, spend $50 on the 20GB drive instead of their retarded MSRP price, and a couple bucks on an HDMI cable. Save $100
smile.gif

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a pro.

If you think you'll be storing movies or something on it, then you might want to get the Elite for the extra space.

Whatever you do DON'T GET THE ARCADE! It doesn't have a hard-drive, so you can't save, or download any extra content or anything. It's the worst designed SKU I've ever seen.

But go with a Pro.

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all for the fast replies.

Do you guys think it would be ok to go ahead and buy the seperate hard drive, like hankchill suggested? That seems to make sense

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Relys said:
Whatever you do DON'T GET THE ARCADE! It doesn't have a hard-drive, so you can't save, or download any extra content or anything. It's the worst designed SKU I've ever seen.

But go with a Pro.
Doesn't Arcade comes with a memory card?

Core (discontinued) is the SKU that doesn't have HD or memory card.

solange82200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Martin that is what I had read too, so now Im really confused
frown.gif
Could it be that the memory card just isnt enough memory to be practical?

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Join the Elite club!!! The 120gb hdd is lots of space plus black looks cooler than white. But if your budget doesn't allow it, set the Pro instead. Stay FAR away from the Arcade!!

Duke_Jay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
754boy said:
Join the Elite club!!! The 120gb hdd is lots of space plus black looks cooler than white. But if your budget doesn't allow it, set the Pro instead. Stay FAR away from the Arcade!!
Indeed, join the Elite Club!
gbasp.gif

poisonousj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are NEVER going to hook up your xbox 360 to an internet connection and you are using a regular TV, then the xbox360 Arcade (which has replaced the 'Core' model) will be fine. The included memory card will let you save a decent amount of saves and it comes with standard video cables.

BUT! with the xbox 360 if you hook it up to an internet connection, you can download FREE game demos which is a great way to try out a game. So even if you are not interested in playing other people online, if you hook it up to the internet you can get demos. If you are interested in that, you NEED a harddrive. The xbox 360 Pro comes with a 20 gig harddrive. Demos are usually a little less then 1 gig so that will let you store about a dozen demos. Of course you can delete them as well. Also the Pro comes with HD cables if you have an HDTV.

So I suggest the Pro!!! unless your budget is very small. Even if it is, I suggest saving and getting the Pro.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
go for the one with the harddrive, in games like oblivion the loadtimes are so much better.
i've never regretted buying the harddrive. i started with a core system
But eventually you will notice that games load much quicker at your friends xbox because they got the harddrive.

EddCase

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I too would go with the majority vote, the Pro but each system has pros and cons.

Arcade:
Pro's. Cheapest of the lot gets you into next gen gaming for a very reasonable price yes the Arcade does come with a memory stick and wireless controller where as the core had no memory device and a wired controller
Con's. Upgrading the hard disk to the 20Gb or 120Gb in the future costs an arm and a leg
No backwards compatibility (Hard Disk required to download the required patches)
No Opportunity to download the vast ammount of demos from the xbox marketplace (again the Hard Disk is required) which are invaluable when it comes to routing out the good from bad games.
Only a standard composite tv lead (with Scart Adaptor)

Pro:
Pro's. Mid Priced of the SKU's not a huge ammount more money for what I would call an almost essential couple of items. (20gb Hard Disk, Online Headset, TV Lead)
20Gb hard disk included enough as said before to try out demo's play the old Xbox games
Even get the odd film rental from the xbox marketplace
Standard & HDTV Component TV lead included in the box
Con's. That extra bit of money could get you a good game or two

Elite:
Pro's. 120Gb Hard Disk, Plenty of space for everything you'd ever need to download (Patches, Demos, Marketplace Films & TV Shows (Although you have to pay for these))
It's Black and looks more in tune with most modern TV's and audio visual equipment.
Con's. The Price
Since all new 360 consoles come with the HDMI port on the back of the machine the only extras you get are the colour, the Hard disk size, the hdmi lead as well as the TV/Component lead from the Pro and an adaptor to get optical sound out.

All in all it's your choice, but I don't think you'd go far wrong in purchasing the pro

One thing to consider with regrards to using your 360 online, to download patches and other content, that noone else has really considered is that to get your machine online can cost a small fortune on it's own. This comes down to where you are phisically going to be placing the unit. is it going to be close to where your internet connection comes into your home & what sort of connection speed do you have? To be honest theres no point going for either of the hard disk models if you only have dial up you'd be waiting forever for any content to arrive. Next off is do you already have a router? is it wireless? If the xbox is going to be close to the router then thats not too bad, a RJ45 network lead come's in the box at least with the Pro and Elite, simply plug the cable in and your away. If you plan on using Wireless then expect to fork out annother load of money on the adaptor for the 360 as it has no wireless network capability out of the box.

Edit: Content

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
EddCase said:
If you plan on using Wireless then expect to fork out annother load of money on the adaptor for the 360 as it has no wireless network capability out of the box.

Yeah they rape you with that wireless adapter, $90 wtf!!! My 360 is on the other end of the house so running a long as cable was out of the question. I have wifi but no way in hell I'm paying microsoft that much money for somehting that should have been built in. Right now I'm using Powerline ethernet adapters, they use the existing wiring in your home to transmit ethernet signals. You've probably never heard of them but they are sweet for people in my situation. Plugged one into an outlet near my PC and connected it to my switch. Plugged the other up in my room near the 360. Now I have a connection thats way better than a wireless one. No lag or anything either. Picked them up on ebay for $40.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I grabbed an extra WRT54GL router for messing around with as various things, one of them is using it as a kick ass wireless ethernet bridge. You can probably get a standard WRT54G router for $50 CAN new at the moment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021