Xbox 360 Jan 19th Update

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
QUOTE said:
Microsoft is to release a mandatory Xbox 360 dashboard update this week that will introduce a few minor changes to your experience.

On Wednesday, January 19, an update will re-enable the 'Boot to Disc' option. It'll allow you to set the option in System Settings to boot to the Xbox 360 dashboard or straight to the game in the tray when you power up your console.
IwUFp.jpg
There'll also be a small update to Gamercards on Thursday Jan 20. According to Major Nelson, Microsoft is changing the "look and feel a bit" and removing Gamerzone from Gamercards, as you can see in the picture.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=284155

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That they did it in the dashboard rather than say adding AP25 to a title update.... very interesting.

Also before anybody wonders no idea how this will play out for JTAG users.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
That they did it in the dashboard rather than say adding AP25 to a title update.... very interesting.

Also before anybody wonders no idea how this will play out for JTAG users.

Aye, hopefully it don't totally screw us over. I'm sure someone will figure it out and fix it if it does....
unsure.gif
hopefully.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sick. Now all my douche Jtaging friends will finally calm the fuck down.
(Not saying everyone who uses a Jtag is a douche; only the ones in Louisiana)

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still rocking the original LT and I play Black Ops rather frequently, so I need to flash to LT+ ASAP. mocalacace I'll be sending you my 360 very soon.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You assume it is LT+ that will fix it fudgenuts64. Likewise if it is chances are you will be burning a new disc.

Re JTAG and TehSkull- why will they have to calm down? -it is not like the existing games will stop working and if history repeats there will probably be a fix out soon enough.

Equally it can take a little while for the required dashboard for a game to catch up to the discs (although the LT+/kinect stuff was surprisingly fast) and looking at release dates for the coming months many games will likely have been held back for this time of year (we had a few leaks already and traditionally this sort of thing happens a lot).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I forgive myself for double posting but people are putting up lists of games with some working and some not working.

Advice is stick with the dash you are on until more is known (and even then probably until fixes are released).

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
You assume it is LT+ that will fix it fudgenuts64. Likewise if it is chances are you will be burning a new disc.

Re JTAG and TehSkull- why will they have to calm down? -it is not like the existing games will stop working and if history repeats there will probably be a fix out soon enough.

Equally it can take a little while for the required dashboard for a game to catch up to the discs (although the LT+/kinect stuff was surprisingly fast) and looking at release dates for the coming months many games will likely have been held back for this time of year (we had a few leaks already and traditionally this sort of thing happens a lot).
I know I have to burn new discs. I need to upgrade to LT+ before I do so though.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Via various news sites/posts including logic sunrise, xbox scene and team xecuter.

New dash, some games that were previously working not will not (see a few paragraphs down for more)
COD- Black Ops
Modern Warfare 2
Halo Reach
These three seem to be the only ones troubled at present.

Yeah it is the return of AP2.5 (some have dubbed it AP2.5+) LT+ will not boot said discs and should save you from the banhammer/flag (assuming you do the whole power off within 3 minutes grace period bit). Likewise samsung drives and AP25 untroubled hitachi drives can carry on as usual.

Apparently no new DVD firmware update will be needed- you will be reburning said copies though. Patches (presumably SSv3 style) have apparently been made and entered testing- no word on ETA but that much is common enough in these circles. Undoubtedly there will probably be someone offering up patches before the due date- usual caution with such things is advised.

Advice is to hold back on updating the dash for now (there may be a few more hidden surprises) if you can but if you have an idea of what goes you can probably push forward with updating.

No idea if a JTAG update will happen- nothing has really changed here and unless we see 10th wave discs being this dash shortly (there are not many big releases for a while yet- most that have not seen releases in other regions come at the end of February) then it is a lot of work for no real gain. Equally dashlaunch is now a big part of JTAG (not to mention contains AP25 countermeasures) so that will need updating as well.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I hope no one will get screwed over with a ban in the next wave over this, but I think it's kinda funny they had ap2.5 sleeper cells
ninja.gif
in those games. Wonder if there are any more "manchurian candidate" games floating around?

Just seen some patches for these 3 games floating around so guys can play online again.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah there are patches doing the rounds- a quick check against ABGX360 says all three are the standard region free versions (presumably scene release), do make sure you know what goes beforehand though as there have been different versions of games in the past.

Patches in PPF format, http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/i...ppf-o-matic.cfm if you lack such a patcher (be careful with PPF- the format was not that stable for a while so some older tools might choke or do it incorrectly)

Following stolen from Logic Sunrise- http://www.logic-sunrise.com/news-216906-l...a-en-ligne.html

BLACK OPS

XEX CRC = D1F515F8
XEX Media ID: CFD2E6184386829EC2E59087-0AEB2159
SS CRC = B0A3DC84 (RawSS = 7BF41B60)
SS Media ID: CFD2E6184386829EC2E59087-0AEB2159
DMI CRC = 7D89D4CE
DMI Media ID: CFD2E6184386829EC2E59087-0AEB2159

HALO REACH

XEX CRC = 4BA83208
XEX Media ID: D5F8036CA497AFADC59687E1-566C10D3
SS CRC = 3BAB5BC5 (RawSS = 47A8F98A)
SS Media ID: D5F8036CA497AFADC59687E1-566C10D3
DMI CRC = 4ACEAC99
DMI Media ID: D5F8036CA497AFADC59687E1-566C10D3

MODERN WARFARE 2

XEX CRC = 1F46C35A
XEX Media ID: F66327164FA486B27A77BBBF-2C8C0267
SS CRC = F935F56E (RawSS = 61915C6D)
SS Media ID: F66327164FA486B27A77BBBF-2C8C0267
DMI CRC = 8C408B3B
DMI Media ID: F66327164FA486B27A77BBBF-2C8C0267

That it happened for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (which was late 2009) was quite interesting. I wonder what the drop in online play was like for these games.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
That it happened for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (which was late 2009) was quite interesting. I wonder what the drop in online play was like for these games.

That would be intersting to know. What would be more interesting is wether or not M$ would use that data to home in on people for possible ban?

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST i know you made it clear, just double checking this from your very generous, and detailed posts but basically am i right in saying:

We will need to reburn games to be safe online, and offliners will have no issues even if we happen to update by "accident" - and lets say if this accident were to occur we will be forced in reburning and reburning only ? - so no new flashing, or LT++ so to say is required ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Short version- you are correct.

Longer version-

LT+ is all that is needed- this was just some new AP25 games coming to light. No new DVD firmware will be necessary as a result of these events for anybody already on LT+.
Obviously those with AP25 capable machines that are lagging behind on hacked DVD firmwares and wanting to play one of the now 6 AP25 games will need to update.

Reburning after patching iso- afraid so.

Offline. LT+ will save you from a flag if you hit the power button within 3 odd minutes of the "disc not reading"/AP25 failing (likewise you could always write protect your NAND).
The thing about AP25 though is that it is not a ban measure (although it certainly could have been used as such) but that discs will simply not work.
There was a rumour going around that a failure of AP25 would result in all other AP25 games not working even if you ditched the old disc and patched with SSv3- this as far as I am aware is utterly false.

Some more tech although take it with a pinch of salt* as it was speculation in 2009 http://xorloser.com/?p=9&cpage=1#comments
*not necessarily this thread but around this time there was a rumour about Fifa 2009 having these checks, this like many good scare stories is based at some level in some truth but it is a different thing.

@431unknown aside from allowing the 360 drive itself (and only the 360 drive itself) to perform checks from code stored in writeable memory MS seem to know what they are doing.
I do not doubt they have some measure of statistical analysis going on. It is far from a sure thing though- the update hit in the middle of the week and the issues have effectively been resolved by the end of the week. There might be some "low hanging fruit" taken out but there is always the "weekend gamer" thing to take into account.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
@431unknown aside from allowing the 360 drive itself (and only the 360 drive itself) to perform checks from code stored in writeable memory MS seem to know what they are doing.
I do not doubt they have some measure of statistical analysis going on. It is far from a sure thing though- the update hit in the middle of the week and the issues have effectively been resolved by the end of the week. There might be some "low hanging fruit" taken out but there is always the "weekend gamer" thing to take into account.

I think I'm getting what you mean.

I guess we will find out sooner or later how this latest round of the cat and mouse game plays out.

clark2k

Trophies
Website
www.gbabrasil.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I am wondering if I can buy Black Ops and play it on my moded X360. Does any one knows?

Besides, I updated my console and put the backup copy of Black Ops, and received the "Disk error" message. I'm already flagged, right?
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: