Xbox 360 Controller: Right Analog Stick Drift

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Jiehfeng, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.
    My new wired 360 controller which came in the mail yesterday after waiting a month long, has the stick "drift" issue. If I push the right stick to the right, and let go (not too fast or not too slow), the cameras in games change direction. It's funny cause this happens when the stick is not towards the springy portion of the device, but a little nudge to the right and the camera goes haywire.

I'm surprised the 360 controller has no deadzone at all whatsoever, not sure if that's a good thing, but in my case, it's a bad thing. I tried calibrating but that didn't work ofcourse. So I was wondering if there was a way to change the deadzone of the right stick in every game I play (not only the ones which has a deadzone opetion) globally. I'm too scared to open up my 360 controller cause if I break it, I'll have to wait for another month and that's why I'm not gonna get a replacement from ebay. Will appreciate any help. :)

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Well normally I'd suggest opening the controller up and checking the state of the thumb sticks, but you say this is a new controller so I'm not too sure what to do...You can always take it apart and try re-seating the stick....but you're too scared for that...and getting a replacement is a no-no I guess.

The best suggestion I can make is using a third party program to set the deadzones. I've used Durazno a few times to set up some other settings on a 360 controller, it also has options to change the deadzones and such.

Jiehfeng likes this.
  3. Jiehfeng
    OP

Jiehfeng A Racist

Aug 15, 2012
    Nigeria
    Under your fucking chair.

That looks like a useful program, too bad I need to copy the files to every game, but it'll have to do. I've been using Pinnacle Game Profiler for these two days, that's an okay program too.
    Maybe later I might try opening up the controller, cause I guess there's nothing I can do to "break" anything. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Wow, Durazno was just what I needed! It works really well, all I need to do is to copy those two files to FPS games. Thanks again!

anayatullaht likes this.
  4. anayatullaht

anayatullaht Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2014
    Pakistan
    bundle of thanks

Jiehfeng likes this.