WTF Anti-Piracy in Hacks?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by llewenxu, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2012

WTF Anti-Piracy in Hacks? by llewenxu at 11:09 PM (987 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. llewenxu
    OP

Newcomer llewenxu Newbie

United States
    I am genuinely confused. This isn't meant to troll or aggravate but I cant understand the reason why someone who makes a hack would also build in anti piracy. Might as well clone Einstein and then give him a lobotomy.

I am a console and game collector. I have several copies of each version of my consoles so I can repair, modify, or keep factory. No game the enters my collection ever leaves, barring the occasional borrow to a close friend. Now that I am in my 30s and have proper income I don't have to "pirate" roms like I did in the mid 90s HOWEVER some companies & platforms don't offer demos or the like so I fully agree with try before you buy. After 25 years of playing games I have a list of 6 or so developers I can trust to give me a great experience nearly every time. Everyone else has to earn my trust. EA and UBISOFT have done a great job of robbing me and thanks to EULAs and Return Policies I cant get anything back when they ACTUALLY STEAL MY MONEY. Case in Point: SPORE which actually produced the familiar PAGE FAULT ERRORS and "Blue screen of Death" from my windows days on my, at the time TOP OF THE LINE, iMac not to mention many other ways UBI and EA did not deliver on the PROMISES they made about their software.

Here is the MAJOR Point our AP introducing hack producers are missing. They think that making sure you have an original disc prevents "piracy". A Previously Owned disc purchased via [EBAY, GameStop, Play-N-Trade, Amazon, Hastings, Wal-Mart, Half.com, or whatever local reseller you may choose] DOES NOT PUT ANY MONEY BACK IN THE HANDS OF THE DEVELOPERS. As far as the people protected via introduced Anti-Piracy in hacks go, the developers are not the ones being protected, its the resellers of used discs. ESPECIALLY when the Anti-Piracy is for dead consoles whose games are no longer in print. As horizontal wii's dont have ports for GCN that means the GameCube is OFFICIALLY DEAD.

SO it is my belief that Devolution or any other AP "protected" hack was developed by an entity that would profit from the sale of USED Discs. Either that or the hack developer thinks they will get a hug from the console company for only screwing their products in a "nice" way.

2. Dork

Member Dork GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    3 people like this.
  3. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
  4. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    You are entitled for having your opinion however if the dev choice is to limit piracy (because he did not prevent it) then he is entitled to that also. We as a community should be grateful for all those devs out there that give their time for free and learn to say thank you.

2 people like this.
  5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Shit happens, and there's already a thread to discuss this. Closed.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.