Wrong RAM stick...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Katsumi San, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Katsumi San
    OP

Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2012
    Kyoto
    Okay... I wanted adding more RAM to new laptop(is currently 8GB RAM) to make have 16GB...

RAM stick inside laptop is HMT41GS6BFR8A-PB

I go to the amazon.. I order this: HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB

I receive in mail today... And I am make mistake.. I should pay attention... Now what is my option? Can I use into laptop? Or perhaps it may cause unwanted mlafunction of laptop? I do not want risk such thing... Please help.. Perhaps I will return?

Last edited by Katsumi San, Jun 11, 2016
  2. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    May be best to get your refund and get the one that is the correct one.

3. nitrostemp

nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 15, 2009
    i don't see the difference other than one being 2x8gb of ram..

4. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Should be fine; the new stick has a slightly different timing, but should clock down to match the other stick. Worst case, they don't work together, but neither stick is wrong for your laptop.

TotalInsanity4 and Bubsy Bobcat like this.
  5. nitrostemp

Mar 15, 2009
    Last edited by nitrostemp, Jun 11, 2016
    Katsumi San likes this.
  6. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    If my opinion means anything, i just think is better to get the same type, mostly cause someone else built the computer, and may have decided it was best compatibility for it. But again, my opinion, there may be things i dunno, and can't explain, but if it's coded with model numbers, must be a compatibility thing, otherwise it wouldn't sell it as different kinds and all would be genereic by brand to just say it works.

So i would consider that and be more careful about the parts i use to replace the things with, unless i know for sure it will work that way. Most already branded stock computers have no customization capability, or if it does, is very limited and precise.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 11, 2016
    Katsumi San likes this.
  7. Katsumi San
    OP

Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2012
    Kyoto

HMT41GS6AFR8A: Data transfer rates: PC3-12800, PC3-10600, PC3-8500

HMT41GS6BFR8A: Data transfer rates: PC-14900, PC3-12800, PC3-10600, PC3-8500

Perhaps is not major concern... but later to avoid any issue.. and best compatibility is better buy identical one... I do not want risk. I spend $900 on this laptop 3 months ago. I am not plan to make it go boom soon...

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  8. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat vegtebales

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    If I were you, I'd just go ahead and use the RAM you already bought since the difference is very little to me and I don't see what damage it could really do. What could possibly go wrong?

But anyways it's your choice if you wanna swap it for an identical one.

Katsumi San likes this.
  9. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Oh, well i agree, is safer that way, Also i hope that pc is good for $900 :yay:

Katsumi San and Bubsy Bobcat like this.
  10. Katsumi San
    OP

Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2012
    Kyoto
    Yes I do agree with your saying here. I buy this laptop from HP website(custom!!!)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yes very so. Not best... but it is do job video editing and such things. here is specs!

[​IMG]

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  11. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Sorry, I misread it. It's the Serial Presence Detect version that's different, not the timings. Honestly I can't say that I know what the difference between the two actually is; either way both sticks should work together.

As long as the type, pins, and voltages are right, RAM is generally RAM. If you put the right stick with the right pins and voltage in the slot, it'd have to be a really messed-up stick to damage the rest of your machine, or even the other RAM. Sometimes RAM and motherboards aren't compatible, and sometimes RAM sticks with the same model number won't work together; that's just pickiness and won't damage the machine.

12. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well okay then, you got your answer.^_^:toot:

Make sure you can get your refund as soon as possible, so that is not wasted. Good luck with that.:)

Nice specs, reminds me when i bought my HP laptop, though is older and outdated. :blush:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight, Jun 11, 2016
    Katsumi San likes this.
  13. Katsumi San
    OP

Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2012
    Kyoto
    Thank you all people for very kind opinions and thoughts on problem!! I got little scared, but it is safer to get identical. And yes I already follow refund procedure! Hopefully I can get money back...

14. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Sure thing, anytime miss Katsumi.*bows*:bow:

Just be sure to follow the directions for returning the product for the refund okay?:yay:

15. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    Generally does not matter, most likely your motherboard will down clock it to compatible speed. I have Kingston RAM and some model numbers differs by a lot, and seems to be working well. A few thing to remember that does matter:
    1. RAM voltage. Some motherboard does not support mixing for example: 1.5v RAM with 1.35v (generally not a good idea to mix)
    2. Type of RAM, most desktop motherboard does not support ECC memories and generally Xeon based motherboard especially multi-socketed CPU requires ECC.
    3. Again type of RAM, while memory like DDR3 will fit in all DDR3 motherboard, there are some variations of DDR3 memories, mainly LRDIMM is not compatible with older motherboard, even though they fit right into the RAM socket.
    There is probably something else I am forgetting, I think these three are the main ones for concern regarding for compatibility.

16. nitrostemp

Mar 15, 2009
    should of visited akihabara and jump in one of the barging bins.

Katsumi San likes this.
  17. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Whilst mix and matching does not really hurt the computer at all (as long as it's the same type and voltage as RandomUser pointed out), the general rule of thumb is that to reduce the chance of weird memory problems cropping up later in life, you should always try to get memory modules with the same model number and the same batch number/date. The reason for this is that memory modules from the same batch will likely have the same lifespan left in them, where as if you mix older memory with newer memory (even if it's the same model) then problems cropping up in the older memory may cause weird symptoms to appear in both memory modules (something to do with timings becoming mismatched, I can't remember any details from so many years ago).

On the other hand, I've seen many systems use completely different memory modules (e.g. DDR3 modules from Kingston and G.Skill) with different clocks and timings and not encountered any problems (BIOS just downclocks them to the lower/safer clocks and timings). Not recommended but when your system is entirely made from second hand parts bodged together, sometimes you don't have much choice and work with what you get.