Touhou Project Fanclub

Would you want to play the first 5 Touhou games on Mega Drive?

Cris1997XX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay, by first 5 I obviously mean two through five (Touhou 1 is forgotten by pretty much everyone). That said, I think Mega Drive ports are more than possible. Color wouldn't be a problem, since the PC-98 has...limited graphics capabilities outside of its high resolution, and graphics wouldn't either. The machines also share the same PSG and Yamaha FM sound chip, which can be clearly noticed when comparing Puyo Puyo 1's OST. I don't want to ramble about the programming side too much, but what is your opinion on this?

Last edited by Cris1997XX,
Reactions: Xdqwerty

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theoretically it could work but youd need to port everything about the game to the motorola 68000 since the PC 98 uses a completely different CPU from the Genesis. otherwise though yeah, the game would easily run on a Genesis

Reactions: Cris1997XX and Wavy

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe? Bare in mind that the PC-98 games were written in x86 assembly, so that'd mean a total rewrite to Motorola 68k assembly to support the Genesis CPU. Visually, I think the games could hold up fine, but going from 640x400 from the PC-98 games to the average 320x240 that most Genesis games use would be quite a stark jump. Bullet clarity would also take a hit due to the overall smaller resolution.

So it may be possible, but it's just up to someone to put in the effort to do such a thing.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe? Bare in mind that the PC-98 games were written in x86 assembly, so that'd mean a total rewrite to Motorola 68k assembly to support the Genesis CPU. Visually, I think the games could hold up fine, but going from 640x400 from the PC-98 games to the average 320x240 that most Genesis games use would be quite a stark jump. Bullet clarity would also take a hit due to the overall smaller resolution.

So it may be possible, but it's just up to someone to put in the effort to do such a thing.
if only i knew 68k assembly.....

Seriously though, if Cave Story of all friggin games can get on the Genesis i have no doubt that Touhou 98 could work, even with the higher resolution taken into consideration

Reactions: Cris1997XX and Wavy

Latest photos

Site & Scene News

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:
Photos: