Hardware Would you get this switch?

Solivagant321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
NO because they probably used the wrong charger and fried the part of the motherboard that regulates how much power goes into the switch, i think this requires and entire motherboard replacement so no dude.

that or they powered off during an update. still too risky

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
My wife is an ICU nurse. She has a co worker who bought a switch not long after the world wide rollout. She said they did not play it much before it mysteriously stopped charging. She said she will give it to me if I want it. Would you get it even though it does not charge?
The M92 something chip breaks a lot these days from 3rd party docks and chargers, take this, and resolder a new chip or send it to Ninty or someone else

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

NO because they probably used the wrong charger and fried the part of the motherboard that regulates how much power goes into the switch, i think this requires and entire motherboard replacement so no dude.

that or they powered off during an update. still too risky
Nonono, it's a chip that you can replace for 20 bucks diy

Reactions: Solivagant321

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Free is free.
You can send it to this guy: https://tronicsfix.com/products/nintendo-switch-repair
Repair cost will probably be $99. Depends on what the fault is.
He has a YouTube channel if you want to see his work. He is pretty experienced with tiny soldering.
that's who I was almost was to recommend. Yes, go ahead, you will have a hackable switxh and ninty won't swap to an ipatch mobo, and you can just sell the joycons if you think that's much. But 100 bucks for a switch is cheap. Just the joycons pay off. Try to get box and all accessories

Last edited by pohaxsf,

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Free is free.
You can send it to this guy: https://tronicsfix.com/products/nintendo-switch-repair
Repair cost will probably be $99. Depends on what the fault is.
He has a YouTube channel if you want to see his work. He is pretty experienced with tiny soldering.
Ok thank you for the link and the advice. If it does end up being a reflow I would definitely feel much more confident with tronicsfix. 99 dollars is much less than the price of a new console.
that's who I was almost was to recommend. Yes, go ahead, you will have a hackable switxh and ninty won't swap to an ipatch mobo, and you can just sell the joycons if you think that's much. But 100 bucks for a switch is cheap. Just the joycons pay off. Try to get box and all accessories
Yes you are right just the joycons are worth the price of admission

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok thank you for the link and the advice. If it does end up being a reflow I would definitely feel much more confident with tronicsfix. 99 dollars is much less than the price of a new console.

Yes you are right just the joycons are worth the price of admission
Most likely it's one of the chips that have gone bad, could be caused by using 3rd party docks or chargers. But he'll figure out the exact cause, the price shouldn't be much higher than $99 unless there are multiple faults. The USB-C port rarely goes bad, you would have to abuse it pretty hard, jamming cables In at an angle.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found out one more tiny detail about this switch. Whereas originally I thought it was an adult couple who was playing the switch, they had bought it for an 8 year old family member.
So Jdbye, there's no telling what kind of abuse it was subjected to

Canna

Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found out one more tiny detail about this switch. Whereas originally I thought it was an adult couple who was playing the switch, they had bought it for an 8 year old family member.
3 words

BAD PORT
KIDS :s

Reactions: zomborg

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Most likely it's one of the chips that have gone bad, could be caused by using 3rd party docks or chargers. But he'll figure out the exact cause, the price shouldn't be much higher than $99 unless there are multiple faults. The USB-C port rarely goes bad, you would have to abuse it pretty hard, jamming cables In at an angle.
she or he (old owner) seems doing whatever bestbuy recommends and trust me these people handle their consoles like a 1 only Ferarri. Go 3rd party because if you send to ninty you will get a mobo replacement, which patches Fusee Gelee, a coldboot for cfw which reduces drastically your resale value, or your pleasure :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They shouldn't abuse it much, they wont touch the power cords because of the "danger", if it has a screen protector, you won't sacrifice the screen while using the dock

Last edited by pohaxsf,

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would take it and fix it myself :) I am sure it is in RCM mode. I have gotten "broken" switches and fixed them myself hahaha.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes that's what I am hoping for to be able to fix it myself and if not, then send it to tronicsfix. Looking forward to finding out what firmware it has.
Bad news I heard today is it could be 2 more weeks before I get to see it :(

pohaxsf

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yes that's what I am hoping for to be able to fix it myself and if not, then send it to tronicsfix. Looking forward to finding out what firmware it has.
Bad news I heard today is it could be 2 more weeks before I get to see it :(
I have had issues with the stripped screws

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3 words

BAD PORT
KIDS :s
Hey all, sorry for crossing the necro line. I have an update. When I originally started this thread (March 29), I thought I'd be receiving my switch in 2 weeks. Turns out I didn't get that switch.

Fast forward over 2 months later and I finally got a hackable switch from a flea market (XAW10004XXX). Woo-hoo! I'm excited! Downside is it's on firmware 8.0.1.
I know I can still hack it but I was hoping for a low firmware.

So anyhow, It seems to still work well but it has been abused. The back plate has a chunk missing and a crack. The joy-cons do not stay attached well and the screen has 2 scuff marks. I have ordered a custom back plate and custom joy-con shells.

My questions are these. How difficult will it be to install the back plate?
How difficult will it be to install new joy-con shell replacements?
Will replacing joy-con shells help the joy-con stay attached as long as it has good rails on the switch itself?

Thank you!

umbreon112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't replaced anything on my Switch yet, but I used to take apart Wii/DS consoles for repairs, and I've heard Switch is easier than those.

I'd guess you can do it with small tri-wing + phillips screwdrivers and a teardown guide with screenshots from google / video on youtube.

The main thing is to take it slow / don't use much force on stuff, and keep track of where each type of screw gets placed.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't replaced anything on my Switch yet, but I used to take apart Wii/DS consoles for repairs, and I've heard Switch is easier than those.

I'd guess you can do it with small tri-wing + phillips screwdrivers and a teardown guide with screenshots from google / video on youtube.

The main thing is to take it slow / don't use much force on stuff, and keep track of where each type of screw gets placed.
Thank you Umbreon. When I ordered my custom back plate and joy-con shells from boss top it came with tri wing and Phillips. I will begin soon

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hey all, sorry for crossing the necro line. I have an update. When I originally started this thread (March 29), I thought I'd be receiving my switch in 2 weeks. Turns out I didn't get that switch.

Fast forward over 2 months later and I finally got a hackable switch from a flea market (XAW10004XXX). Woo-hoo! I'm excited! Downside is it's on firmware 8.0.1.
I know I can still hack it but I was hoping for a low firmware.

So anyhow, It seems to still work well but it has been abused. The back plate has a chunk missing and a crack. The joy-cons do not stay attached well and the screen has 2 scuff marks. I have ordered a custom back plate and custom joy-con shells.

My questions are these. How difficult will it be to install the back plate?
How difficult will it be to install new joy-con shell replacements?
Will replacing joy-con shells help the joy-con stay attached as long as it has good rails on the switch itself?

Thank you!
You can replace the locks that keep the JoyCons attached with metal ones. It's probably been dropped at some point, causing the locks to chip. Look on eBay for joycon buckle alloy locks. It's a pretty simple repair.
The back plate is simple to replace. Unscrew the center screw on the joycon rails (the other screws just hold the rails in place), and the rear screws. There may be 2 screws next to the USB-C that need unscrewing as well, don't remember. Check a YouTube disassembly video. TronicsFix may have one.
You'll need an Y00 triwing screwdriver, don't try to use any other size or risk stripping the screws. That size is tricky to find, iFixit sells Y00 bits for $2.99 though.

The screwdrivers you get free with replacement shells are NOT Y00 in my experience. They are Y0 and will easily strip the screws, I found this out the hard way. Not recommended.

If you want to replace the touch screen digitizer as well since it's scuffed, that requires a lot more effort. You need to almost fully disassemble the Switch to get at the ribbon connector for the digitizer, and you'll need to use a hairdryer on the front to soften up the adhesive to pry the digitizer off. Fully doable, just a bit finicky and time consuming.

How much did you end up paying for it?

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can replace the locks that keep the JoyCons attached with metal ones. It's probably been dropped at some point, causing the locks to chip. Look on eBay for joycon buckle alloy locks. It's a pretty simple repair.
The back plate is simple to replace. Unscrew the center screw on the joycon rails (the other screws just hold the rails in place), and the rear screws. There may be 2 screws next to the USB-C that need unscrewing as well, don't remember. Check a YouTube disassembly video. TronicsFix may have one.
You'll need an Y00 triwing screwdriver, don't try to use any other size or risk stripping the screws. That size is tricky to find, iFixit sells Y00 bits for $2.99 though.

The screwdrivers you get free with replacement shells are NOT Y00 in my experience. They are Y0 and will easily strip the screws, I found this out the hard way. Not recommended.

If you want to replace the touch screen digitizer as well since it's scuffed, that requires a lot more effort. You need to almost fully disassemble the Switch to get at the ribbon connector for the digitizer, and you'll need to use a hairdryer on the front to soften up the adhesive to pry the digitizer off. Fully doable, just a bit finicky and time consuming.

How much did you end up paying for it?

I paid 150.00.
I guess that's a little expensive for a switch that's beat up but I decided to go for it because a switch with the right serial on ebay is expensive.
I guess I will attempt the digitizer as bad as I hate to. Gotta feeling my wife will not approve of hiring someone to do it.

I just happened to a Y00 with a kit I ordered. Thank you for the advice :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I paid 150.00.
I guess that's a little expensive for a switch that's beat up but I decided to go for it because a switch with the right serial on ebay is expensive.
I guess I will attempt the digitizer as bad as I hate to. Gotta feeling my wife will not approve of hiring someone to do it.

I just happened to a Y00 with a kit I ordered. Thank you for the advice :)
That's pretty good. You can barely get a faulty Switch for that on eBay. The things are expensive.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty good. You can barely get a faulty Switch for that on eBay. The things are expensive.
Ain't that the truth? Lol.
Oh by the way, those joy-con buckle alloy locks you mentioned? Wish I had thought of that before I started this project. :( Since I've never attempted this before, when I ordered the kit from boss top, I hoped that it would include locks (even plastic ones) but they were not included.

Means I'll have to go back later and install the alloy ones. But again, thank you for helping me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The NES version was not a bad conversion +1