Would this work?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by aids0109, Jul 18, 2013.

1. aids0109
    OP

aids0109 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2012
    Toilet
    I was reading through previous exploits when i came across a certain DEX exploit back in 2008 and my brain thought to expand on the idea since the hard drive swapping should still work.

If i waited for a PS update, didnt update, put the CFW firmware based from the current OFW on a USB and swapped out the harddrives in the same method, would i then be left with OFW, CFW or brick. I am wondering this due to the fact it may be a new exploit and that from what i have scoured the internet of, i have not seen a topic on this particular method.

If it will not work, will installing the CFW from a CFW machine onto a harddrive then HDD swap work.

2. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Australia
    This won`t work, because the firmware is stored in the NOR NAND or partly stored in the NAND NOR (slims). The PS3 won't let you intall the cfw.
    edit: mixed up NAND and NOR

3. wartutor

wartutor Member

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2012
    United States
    no not all the firmware files are stored on hard drive...u still have nand/nor that tells it what fw it is on...plus ps3's hd is per console encripted meaning u can't switch one to the other without it wanting to reformat the hd

also firmware is stored on nand and partly on nor (nand is old fat nor is new slim)

4. aids0109
    OP

aids0109 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2012
    Toilet
    Thanks for clearing it up :D