Homebrew Would Backwards-Compatibility be Possible with Homebrew?

Nicro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone,

With used Wii U consoles costing about as much as their Switch counterpart, I was wondering whether or not a Wii U was worth it at this point. The recent news about the Switch not really replacing the other consoles in terms of backwards-compatibility has me rethinking this though. I currently only own a N3DS which covers most things handheld for Nintendo and I would love to play some Wii and Gamecube games. My guess is that the Switch cannot currently be considered a rival to the Wii U when it comes to "x-consoles-in-one". Could Homebrew theoretically change that once it becomes an option? Are there any revelations about the Switch I might have missed? I'd just like some input on this.

Thanks in advance

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey everyone,

With used Wii U consoles costing about as much as their Switch counterpart, I was wondering whether or not a Wii U was worth it at this point. The recent news about the Switch not really replacing the other consoles in terms of backwards-compatibility has me rethinking this though. I currently only own a N3DS which covers most things handheld for Nintendo and I would love to play some Wii and Gamecube games. My guess is that the Switch cannot currently be considered a rival to the Wii U when it comes to "x-consoles-in-one". Could Homebrew theoretically change that once it becomes an option? Are there any revelations about the Switch I might have missed? I'd just like some input on this.

Thanks in advance
Well, there's no way Switch could play Wii U games.

But Wii and GC, maybe.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch has an ARM-processor, all consoles since the Gamecube used a PPC processor so natively there is no way.
Ryan Houdek has made a port to Android of the dolphin emulator and on the Tegra Shield TV which uses the same processor as the switch it didn't work that well with more demanding games.
As they removed some overhead that came from the android side of things things could get a little better but probably still no 30 FPS in Metal Gear Twin Snakes for example.

Last edited by Wuigi,
Reactions: TGLaw

Kazalber

Trophies
XP
Country
Guatemala
In my opinion (and I know nothing so I could be talking out of my ass) it will only be possible if Ninty releases a virtual console for the Switch.
I mean, let's assume for now that the extension the switch is capable of running is ".nsw", but all the wii and gc games we have are in .iso or .wad so there would be no way to make them run, unless the hackers access the store just like they did with the 3DS and rip the games from there.

That being said, I too enjoy replaying my favorite GC and Wii games. I was lucky enough to have a hacked Wii, so I can play those there, and bought the Switch to enjoy its games without waiting for exploits.
If you don't have a Wii and your only options are between getting a Wii U vs getting a Switch, you should consider emulation on computer for your older games (Dolphin) and get the Switch, that way you can enjoy the games being released now.

Those are my two cents.

Last edited by Kazalber,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMO there aren't enough worthwhile games on wii u to make it worth a purchase. I would just pick up a cheap used wii and hack that for playing gamecube backups. You can find them everywhere for dirt cheap. I would invest in the switch, it has a much brighter future than the already-dead wii u

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are WiiU's really very expensive? Because over here in the UK you can get a 32gb for about £100. That's pretty cheap considering you don't have to pay for any games for it, plus it can emulate/bc with every single Nintendo game, excluding 3DS and Switch ofc. Not to mention all the other emulators available.

I love my Switch, but Wii U is really where the value for money is if you're into backwards compatibility, I don't think we'll ever see Wii U, DS, Wii and GameCube working on Switch at full speed through homebrew though I could be wrong on the last couple.

Wii U is the reason I haven't bothered to keep my Switch under 3.0.0, I only play games at home, even though I love handheld predominantly but Wii U does that too, with the gamepad support in Nintendont now I just don't need homebrew on another device.

Reactions: Yoni Arousement

petethepug

PUG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance
Currently no one knows what the Switch will be backwards compatible with but Nintendo (so far) is going to make NES Games backwards compatible & Wii U Titles (whether its possible to make them virtual console is unknown but they have been making Wii U Ports of games and advertising them as a port of the Wii U Game with the Switch logo. If that kind of makes sense :mellow:.) But other than that we don't know a lot yet about what will be offered, Nintendo has quietly given the Nintendo Switch Gamecube controller support, maybe hinting gamecube games may come to the system and functionality, and that they won't be replacing the virtual console with the new NES Service they are offering with paid online.)

In terms of Homebrew, no one knows what might come out yet

However; get a Wii U now and you will regret it. You might as well just buy a Wii & Switch when possible and modify the Wii to play Gamecube games, SNES Games, Gensis, NES, GBA, etc... The Switch has only been out for 9 months (afaik) and might at some point support Wii, Gamecube Games, SNES, etc... in terms of virtual console.

Still get a Switch anyway. It has newer games :P

scyllahydre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
OP please edit your post as the question is not that dumb.

The answer;
Wii U will be for a very very long time the best video game console to play most of Nintendo console for one simple reason: It is the only console that is able to output GC games with a 16/9 aspect ratio with almost no emulation (except gamepad). The Wii U too will not be emulated with a 99% accuracy before long too. The Wii U is still the best Ninty console to play most of consoles with only one device (which is the reason my Wii U is always in my luggages when I travel).

Jackson98

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The few games that arent shitty on the Wii U might just get remade, Like Mario Kart 8 deluxe, only other game I really think necessary that wont be available(as VC cant handle it) would be DK Country Tropical Freeze.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The few games that arent shitty on the Wii U might just get remade, Like Mario Kart 8 deluxe, only other game I really think necessary that wont be available(as VC cant handle it) would be DK Country Tropical Freeze.
It'd be pretty surprising if there weren't new versions of the most liked games. SSB, DKC, Pikmin etc.. Personally, I'd love to see an up-to-date remake of Pilotwings or F-Zero.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over