Would anyone be interested in reviving RVLution.net?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Gigaboy, May 18, 2019.

1. Gigaboy
    OP

Gigaboy Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2019
    United States
    First off: Sorry if this thread is in the wrong location. I wasn't sure where to put it, but since RVLution.net was a Wii hacking/modding community I decided to put it here.
    Now: Would anyone be interested if RVLution.net got revived? I know I use to spend a lot of time there as they had a lot more content about Wii modding than anywhere else I've found, but they shutdown their forums. I'm assuming (like me) there are many people who migrated to GBATemp after the shutdown, but even now it still doesn't have nearly as much Wii modding content as RVLution did. So, back to my question. I wouldn't mind working with a few other people to revive it. But I also don't want to go forward with this project if no one is interested. So, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Gigaboy, May 23, 2019
    Trash_Bandatcoot likes this.
  2. SnackJr

SnackJr Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2019
    Japan
    I can't offer anything but support, but sounds like a cool place. Pity it passed me by. Good luck on the project!

Gigaboy likes this.
  3. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    It could be interesting, but as you mention, the problem is: Is there enough people out there still interesting in both the Wii and Wii modding for it to feel alive?

As much as it pains me, I don't think so. I know there's still interest in it, as I check several places for news in homebrew or Wii related things, and people congregate in a variety of places, such as the Bitbuilt forums for physically modding consoles, here for homebrew related stuff, the GC-Forever forums, and a few Wii-related topics appear in the shmups forums for technical matters from time to time...

On the other side, there were quite a few interesting things in that forum (or the Wiird forums), lots of information about cheat code making and such that disappeared pretty much completely when they were gone.

But I still don't know if it would be worth the effort, seeing how people already populate other sites and maybe don't want to go to a new/old site.

...It's just that I'm pessimistic whenever it's about expecting something from people, lol.

Gigaboy likes this.
  4. Larsenv

Larsenv Dr. Wii, Ph.D

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    DFW
    I didn't really like the RVLution forums that much. The custom forum software it used (blargboard) was cool (had interesting features like rainbow names when it was your birthday, different avatars on posts, etc.)

The problem, however, is that it was filled with kids, and many users got banned. And then there were strict announcements saying like "Next person who does so-and-so gets a ban". Most were by StapleButter, and by his messages he sounded like he was pretty angry. Someone got banned for being "stupid" because they said they had the program known as 7-Zip, but was "scared to use it". I find that hilarious.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the loyal members are on nsmbhd.net or kuribo64.net, both are probably more relaxing.

By the way, I read a random post somewhere (probably kuribo64?) that said something about the owners of the forum losing interest in maintaining the site.

Last edited by Larsenv, May 23, 2019
  5. Gigaboy
    OP

Gigaboy Member

Newcomer
    May 12, 2019
    United States
    There was definitely quite a bit of kids. (I don't think I ever saw the thread about being scared to use 7-Zip. Bet that was a fun read. Not sure if I would ban them though)

I also saw the owner lost interest or whatever that's why I thought this could be a good idea. But based on the lack of responses on this thread I'm assuming nobody really cares about RVLution.net anymore. Maybe just a dedicated Switch modding forum? I don't think I've seen one of those yet, so it might be successful. GBATemp is probably the forums with the most content on Switch hacking. But I find dedicated forums more pleasant to navigate and dedicated users more fun to interact with.

6. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    The forums looks like your basic 2009 forums, but I can see some potentional on reviving it. In order to keep kids off the site, you should make one of the rules something in the way of “You must be 13 in order to create an account. If we find out you’re a minor, your account will be deleted.”

The Wii community is somehow still alive, with some homebrew coming out, new Wii development stuff being found every month, RiiConnect24 is a thing, ect. If you would revive it, then keep the original UI and make the site up-to-date with the stuff we have now. The Wayback Machine could help with recreating the UI.

Gigaboy likes this.
  7. Bigkahuna28

Bigkahuna28 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2019
    United States
    I’ll host it...

Gigaboy likes this.
  8. Bigkahuna28

Bigkahuna28 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2019