Worth buying ?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Ohad1th, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ohad1th
    OP

Ohad1th GBAtemp Regular

Jul 23, 2015
    Iceland
    So I was thinking about getting a PS Vita but I have couple of questions first
    1. Is there anything like cfw or hacking method ?
    2 . backward compatiblity , there are some psp games I'd like to try Is there like a psp mode to play on vita ?
    3. flashcart of any kind because I heard that there is something , but I don't have a vita yet so I'm not sure how it's going to work
    thanks !
    btw Is there any "safe" fw on vita so If I will eventually decide to order it won't be above that fw

2. Red9419

Red9419 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2014
    I think the only vita hacks right now are custom Ps1 bubbles and cfw on the psp side. As far as that i dont know. I also want to get a ps vita, but mostly for remote play so i wont play Catherine on the living room tv ;).

3. Voxel

Voxel Clumsy Coder

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    There is currently only PSP-mode CFW (TN-V or ARK) but not native Vita CFW. TN-V is basically like a PSP with CFW as it has the old PSP interface as well.

Again, TN-V and ARK are the main PSP backup loaders to use on a Vita. There is an in-built PSP "emulator" that the Vita already ships with (But is argued to run natively, but that's a different story)

Yep. The Cobra team recently released their Black Fin dongle to users, and it works by using someone else's game authentication data to get the game backup to work, I think.
    As expected, it doesn't come cheap at the moment though!

Arguably, the latest safe firmware to use the above said features such as PSP/PS1-side hacks is 3.52 and under, because all of the hack installations require you to have a Vita that can use the email exploit to be able to write files to parts of the Vita, and on the memory card. (and that exploit got patched in 3.55).

I think that's most of what you need to know; I'm pretty sure there are a few things I have missed out here... But these are basically the main facts you need to know.

4. xy2_

xy2_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    France
    The latest 'safe' firmware is 3.18, although you're pretty much fine up to 3.52 (Mailwriter is patched after this firmware.)

5. Roomsaver

Roomsaver GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    garfield kart grand prix
    Can you downgrade the PS Vita? I think I saw some tool on a website but it looked kind of sketchy. Also is there any, like, true cfw for any versions?

6. xy2_

xy2_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    France
    No, no.