xShinobi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.bluesky-truesky.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I have this question in woodwork. " What is the strongest joint out of all the woodwork joints? Explain why this is so. "
Does anyone have an answer to this? I have tried to search on google but it doesn't give me a direct answer.
If anyone could help me that would be great! And if you do find something could you please list your source(s).
grog.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is no direct answer as I see it even if you abstract that a bit and make it for similar size joints.
You also have to consider failure method/direction of force:
Take the simplest example of a log, drill a hole and put a smaller log in it essentially forming a crude mortise and tenon (which would normally be considered the "strongest"). Glue it and then pull perpendicular to the hole. You can bet the glue will fail before a dovetail yet should you want to use the other log as a cantilever beam then I would pick the mortise and tenon if I wanted it to last.
There are many other examples you could give and then you might want to consider the toughness of the joint: in metals brittle materials may be stronger but I would much rather see them fail or have them bend out of shape than shatter. Of course some strength is nice so something that is both strong and "flexible" is considered tough: I snap your dovetail joint and you have to go back to the start, I "snap" your butt joint and you find some more glue.

None the less a start:
http://www.provenwoodworking.com/woodworking-joints.html

Colobos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well from what i know of woodwork, theres is no strongest joint cause eage joint is designed for different areas. i mean a biscuit joint is the most effective for table tops where u join to pieces of wood together to make one bigger piece. one of the harder joints like a dovetail joint works in table legs which stop sliding which can be found in a mortise and tenon joint if glued incorrectly. I'd say there is no one best joint. my sources are myself from 4 years of woodwork and a/b grades.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends on the wood, depends on the size of the pieces, depends on the task of the item being made. Depends on if the joint is being glued as well. Depends on what type of glue is being used. Depends on if the item is interior use or exterior use.

By the way, I have several YEARS as a cabinet maker. I'd be happy to get more specific, but asking for the strongest joint, is really like asking for the best Shooter. There's no simple immediate answer to that question.

You can see if your library has this book.
Wood Joiners Handbook - Sam Allen - Sterling Publishing Co Inc. 1990 isbn 0-8069-6999-7

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm a woodworker by trade myself, and I've heard this question asked a few different ways.

In the most general of terms, the strongest wood joint is a glue joint between two pieces, where the long grain of the woods are parallel. A long grain to long grain joint, when jointed properly, and with the correct glue for the application, is stronger than the wood itself.

Various jointing techniques or methods (mortise and tenon, dovetail, etc) are designed to expose as much of the long grain of each piece for a gluing surface.

Usually when I hear this question, it excludes mechanical reinforcement of the joint for illustrative purposes, but even with mechanical re-enforcement (screws, biscuits, dowels, etc), a joint between end grain and long grain will eventually open over time. The movement of the wood under various conditions will eventually ensure it. Jointing methods are designed to minimize the impact of that movement.

I think for any other answer than "long grain to long grain" or "parallel wood grain direction", the question would need to be more specific to a certain application.

Good luck with your assignment, and with the class. I've found woodworking to be the most rewarding career that I've participated in.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to give you a couple sources:

The Encyclopedia of Furniture Making, by Ernest Joyce, 1979

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking, by Tage Frid, 1979

Sorry, I don't have my other books at my fingertips right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ