WonderSwan bootrom dumped 20 years after release

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Aug 21, 2019.

Front-page
    WonderSwan.

On the 4th of March 1999, Bandai released the WonderSwan in Japan. It had been developed and supervised by Gunpei Yokoi up until his tragic death in 1997, and was set to compete with the other console that he designed earlier while working at Nintendo, the Game Boy. Sadly, the WonderSwan turned to be a commercial failure, only managing to obtain a small portion of the Japanese handheld market before being completely crushed by the Game Boy Advance later on, without ever seeing an official release overseas. However, its memory still lives on in many enthusiast's hearts, whether it is in appreciation of the legendary game designer's legacy or due to its niche yet quality games.

20 years after release, a breakthrough has been made by furrtek in an effort aimed towards game preservation and better emulation: the WonnderSwan's bootrom has finally been dumped. This has been possible thanks to a hardware-based attack which glitches the CPU to trick the console into booting up without clearing the memory region containing the bootrom; a method very similar to the one used years earlier with the Game Boy Color. Still, the journey wasn't an easy one, as it was filled with many non-trivial platform-specific hurdles: for example, the original approach overclocks the CPU repeatedly and in short bursts to make it skip the memory clearing instruction, however, the WonderSwan's CPU has a much higher frequency tolerance than the Game Boy's. Nevertheless, thanks to an FPGA, custom code, experience and a lot of patience, furrtek has managed to dump both the original model and the WonderSwan Color's bootroms, and everything has been documented in a post linked in the sources below! (in French)

Now, you may be asking yourself: "This is cool and all, but what does this mean for me as a retrogamer aside from seeing a fancy boot screen?". byuu, the creator of bsnes and higan, has stepped forward to answer the question: the WonderSwan's bootrom also contains a settings menu which lets a player store his/her own personal info such as the name, birthday, gender and blood type. This data can later be used by games to do all sorts of things, like triggering easter eggs or automatically filling a character's name with your own. Now that the bootrom has been dumped, this feature can finally be configured and emulated properly!

Starting from version 106.197, Higan has implemented support for the newly dumped bootroms. You can see a video of it in action below:

If you want to try it yourself, you can download Higan's latest nightly builds here. WonderSwan bootrom dumps contain copyrighted content and cannot be linked to on GBAtemp, so you will need to obtain one yourself (hashes for verification can be found here).

:arrow: Source 1 (furrtek's post)
    :arrow: Source 2 (byuu's blog)

Nutez, NoNAND, Darksabre72 and 34 others like this.
    Discussion (48 replies)
  1. IncredulousP

IncredulousP GBAtemp Fan

Aug 21, 2012
    United States
    Neat, I'll have to stream this sometime.

2. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    This is awesome! I've been getting into wonderswan recently after I bought a bittboy and dropped some roms in, it's a shame this system didn't get much love.

raxadian and phonz like this.
  3. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    shame how the WS got crushed there was a digimon game exclusive to it iirc if the WS had a western release wonder if we would've seen a official localization

raxadian and lordelan like this.
  4. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    There was also an exclusive Megaman Battle Network game(it was a platformer interestingly enough).

5. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    I only know of the Wonderswan systems because of the Final Fantasy IV port.

6. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Now if only all those Digimon Wondeswan games were translated rto English...

7. sirrokr

sirrokr Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2007
    United States
    If you can get your hands on a copy, Klonoa was a wonderful game on WS.

raxadian likes this.
  8. Voyambar

Voyambar Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Antarctica
    My Basement
    Well this is surprising news. GG Higan

9. AlterL

AlterL Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2019
    Venezuela
    does anybody knows how to play games from this console with a 3ds? or how to make dualswan work? maybe a cia from nomadswan

10. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    You might get a response if you post this question in the 3DS section.

11. Dani Dandelion

Dani Dandelion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2009
    United States
    Missouri
    I've been using the Mednafen WS core through the HB Launcher to play Chocobo Mystery Dungeon lately.

12. AlterL

AlterL Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2019
    Venezuela
    do you know how to properly set it up, I tried playing pocket fighter and it only got like 23-27 fps

13. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Never used the system, but the button placement on this thing looks really wierd.

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Of course! Why didn't I think of this? :)

probably because I don't have a clue what that actually means.

15. SexySpai

SexySpai xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    your mom lol
    The only reason I know this exists is because of the obscure Mega Man & Bass sequel.

Last edited by SexySpai, Aug 21, 2019
  16. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Neat, never heard about it before.

JavaScribe likes this.
  17. phonz

phonz GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2018
    Canada
    I loved playing Wonderswan games on emu back in the day.
    I was quite fond of the Digimon and Cardcaptor Sakura games.

Kazalber and raxadian like this.
  18. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    that's because some games used the same button layout as the original gameboy (d-pad a b start and select) and they were played on the console horizontally and there were also some other games that used the d-pad and four face buttons and they played vertically

JavaScribe, GuyInDogSuit and VitaType like this.
  19. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    What is this?