1. wiewiec

OP wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
    I can't find my WiiU & Wii box to get sensor bar & Wii mote so I wanna buy some replacements. I found sth. like wireless sensor bar, sounds interesting but I have not found much info if this kind of device will work with my WiiU. Have you got any experiences with this device?

2. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

Chile
    the sensor bar is just an array of infrared leds. you can even make your own if you are into DIY things.
    so you can buy any wireless sensor bar and it will work.

Ryccardo, E1ite007 and emcintosh like this.
  3. wiewiec

Poland
    OK, but I have question how this wireless sensor bars communicate with WiiU since standard one have wired connection.

4. Sakitoshi

Chile
    It doesn't, nor does the wired one.
    The cable only carries power to lit the leds.

E1ite007 and wiewiec like this.
  5. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Chile
    The sensor bar doesn't communicate with the Wii/U in any way. It provides a point for the wiimotes to locate, and the wiimote sends the info to the console via bluetooth.

wiewiec likes this.
  6. wiewiec

Poland
    So console in wired connections only powers the hidden IR diodes am I right?

7. Sakitoshi

Chile
    Exactly.
    So don't worry too much if the sensor bar you buy doesn't state that it works on wii u, it's gonna work regardless.

wiewiec likes this.
  8. wiewiec

Poland
    Damn I always thinking that this wire does sth else ;-) I was asking since I never seen wireless bars, maybe because I wasn't playing Wii since many years. Shame for Nintendo that they not build original sensor bar with option to use AAA/AAA's.

9. Sakitoshi

Chile
    Well, the console typicaly sits right next to the tv and the cable is excessively long anyway, not needing extra batteries for the sensor bar is convenient. Or else you'll need a truckload of batteries for the wiimotes and sensor bar.

10. wiewiec

Poland
    Now rechargeable's are very cheap maybe then I could be a problems, but for example i lover PS3/PS4, but I hate built in batteries... because of safety reasons etc. I am also good with that new gen Xbox also uses AA's for controllers - quality rechargeable AA's are even cheaper than knockoff batteries for Sony controllers.

11. Sakitoshi

Chile
    On the contrary.
    Built-in batteries are always better, my 4 dualshock 3 are still in good shape even after like 8 years while the wiimotes consume my sony cycle energy faster than a ds3.
    My charge and play kit for my xbox 360 controller works when it feels like and when it does last less than a ds3.
    The wii u pro controller is excellent too.
    The dualshock 4 last less, but not a problem since the ps4 leaves its usb ports active.

12. emcintosh

emcintosh On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat

United Kingdom
    Wireless 'sensor bar':

As it's just IR LEDs, you can use any source of IR e.g. candles.

As regards battery-operated ones, I hear that the battery life isn't great, and as it's not powered by the console and doesn't look different when on or off, I imagine it would be very easy to forget to turn it off overnight and drain the batteries.

Last edited by emcintosh, May 10, 2020
    Sakitoshi likes this.
  13. wiewiec

Poland
    My concern are only safety... I have some consoles in collection part ot this have built in batteries... I always try to leave them with some juice... since for example when Li-Ion discharges to some level is hard to kick the power to itp. For example my Vita 1000... there are no solid sources even for knock off batteries... mostly some dudes resell old batteries with new stickers - huge problem you could see it on some reddit threads.

14. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Just get a usb sensor bar, I did that to use with my pc (Dolphin)

15. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    Strictly speaking the console can (through switching power to the sensor bar port) attempt to communicate with the remotes or other IR devices, which anything not connecting to that red port would miss on;

in practice it means that while adjusting wiimote camera sensitivity, you'll see 2 fixed dots instead of 2 blinking dots! Wooooo!

16. wiewiec

Poland
    I know that, but it also works like power source for IR's because Wii remotes connects to PC with BT and emulator processes the motion?

17. Necron

Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Exactly

wiewiec likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Wireless, sensor,