c7
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna try to threadjack Mr Blonde's Thread, but decided to start my own instead.
wub.gif

Does anybody know why my entire home network would cut in and out while I have wireless networking enabled? The only thing that I use that's wireless is my DS (or my Wii if the girlfriend wants to do "Everybody Votes"), so having it disabled isn't really that big of a deal, but it's always bothered me. I have WEP enabled, if that makes a difference. I'm a complete idiot about this sort of thing, so it's entirely possible that I'm doing something very stupid here, but I've never been able to find any answers about this online.

And when I say that it cuts in and out, I mean that the connection is just fine probably 99% of the time. My AIM makes a noise whenever it connects, so whenever it makes a noise and I haven't done anything, I know that my network has gone down for a couple of seconds. That, and sometimes pages hang or don't load.

And when it's really bad, my router just craps out completely and I have to turn it off and then on again to get it to work properly.

spokenrope

c7
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm using both. I have a laptop that I used to have as static, but now it's at automatic. The two other computers are automatic *I think*, and my Xbox is static, I'm sure.

spokenrope

c7
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes. There are other wireless networks. The only reason that I know this is because they come up when my DS searches for other networks. But should that really affect my wired connection?

It's also possible that somebody is using a phone on the wrong frequency, I suppose. I don't have one, but perhaps somebody in my apartment complex does. But, again, should I expect that to cause my regular wired connection to cut out?

And changing the broadcast channel doesn't seem to be working. It's cut out a few times over the past couple of hours.

I'd love to hear any other ideas that anybody else can come up with.

spokenrope

c7
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm on cable.

I've also switched my broadcast channel over to 1 and kept it there for a while, and things seem to have settled down quite a bit. *Crosses fingers*

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. There are other wireless networks. The only reason that I know this is because they come up when my DS searches for other networks. But should that really affect my wired connection?

It's also possible that somebody is using a phone on the wrong frequency, I suppose. I don't have one, but perhaps somebody in my apartment complex does. But, again, should I expect that to cause my regular wired connection to cut out?

well whenever someone uses the 900mhz phone downstairs i get disconnected form BF2 instantly.
i believe B/G WIFI operates on the same frequency so yeah other networks and/or the cordless could be the problem

A

AgeOfAquarius

i believe B/G WIFI operates on the same frequency so yeah other networks and/or the cordless could be the problem

802.11b & 802.11g use 2.4GHz - it's not even a harmonic of 900MHz - more likely the problem lies with the other networks the OP is seeing..... what channels are the other networks on? There are overlaps between 1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8, 5-9, 6-10, 7-11

Given the DS is a 11M 802.11b device, turning off the 802.11g capabilities of the access point can definitely help. Failing that you're looking at the router failing for some reason - in which case my money would be on the power supply giving up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up