wireless file transfer..

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by magic_marty, Feb 18, 2009.

Feb 18, 2009

wireless file transfer.. by magic_marty at 8:46 AM (1,606 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. magic_marty
    OP

Newcomer magic_marty Member

United States
    How come nobody has came up with a way to transfer files to the DS from a pc using wireless capabilities rather then having to take out the flash memory card every time??

Just a thought..Would be nice wouldn't you think?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are multiple methods.

The easiest is probably dslinux as it has had a SAMBA (program that can use windows file shares) for quite some time now.

There is also FTP (client and server for the DS)

The is dcc (IRC transfer method) with CLIRC.

Some of the browsers support downloading and you can host a simple internal file sharing type web page quite easily.

There are few straight up custom apps for file transfer (usually aimed at DS to DS but with some PC capability) although I suggest sticking to the known standards.

Know however that the DS wifi hardware is limited to 2MBit so any transfer will be painfully slow, saves and cheats as well as homebrew and maybe some music but games and video are right out for me.

3. magic_marty
    OP

Newcomer magic_marty Member

United States
    oh cool...does bunjallo support file downloading?

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Yes it does support file downloading.

Personally for small stuff I've often used HTTPexec configured to look for a specific "download.nds" file I uploaded to my GooglePages account. I would rename the *.nds file to download.nds, upload it to my account, and launch HTTPexec. Worked fine for the most part.

Also depending on the device you have there might be a few other options. For instance, there's a downloader app that works with certain slot-2 devices that I've used in the past.