ROM Hack [WIP] Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken - English Translation

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, wow. I didn't notice someone was starting this. I actually started one on my own, albeit trying to be closer to the Taiko Drum Master release with menu options. I even made a full English logo.

Here's all the ones I've done, including my logo (which I translated as Taiko Drum Master: Adventures Through Time and Space).

Edit: I really want to help out with this, and I can do loads of image editing if needed. Also, while I can't help with translation, I'd love to help out with writing, or even possibly localizing the script in a way, if that's alright?

nuMcCtx.png

xMbFKk6.png

For this one, I translated it because there's a mode that removes notes which requires these to play it. Much easier to do in English.
M1eOwiC.png

Drumroll was really difficult to fit into it, so I decided to go for a bit of an experimental way to do it. I think it looks good, but it doesn't have to be kept.
8jUwkg8.png

For this, I tried to go for a logo and name that would seem sort of "official" in terms of localization. I cut out the Don to Katsu part because I couldn't get it to look right and I was already struggling for space to fit Adventures Through Time and Space without it looking weird.

P8gUIge.png

Last edited by AttackOtter,

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, wow. I didn't notice someone was starting this. I actually started one on my own, albeit trying to be closer to the Taiko Drum Master release with menu options. I even made a full English logo.

Here's all the ones I've done, including my logo (which I translated as Taiko Drum Master: Adventures Through Time and Space).

Edit: I really want to help out with this, and I can do loads of image editing if needed. Also, while I can't help with translation, I'd love to help out with writing, or even possibly localizing the script in a way, if that's alright?

nuMcCtx.png

xMbFKk6.png

For this one, I translated it because there's a mode that removes notes which requires these to play it. Much easier to do in English.
M1eOwiC.png

Drumroll was really difficult to fit into it, so I decided to go for a bit of an experimental way to do it. I think it looks good, but it doesn't have to be kept.
8jUwkg8.png

For this, I tried to go for a logo and name that would seem sort of "official" in terms of localization. I cut out the Don to Katsu part because I couldn't get it to look right and I was already struggling for space to fit Adventures Through Time and Space without it looking weird.

P8gUIge.png
Oh man, this is actually super awesome! You are totally welcome to come on board as far as editing some of the graphics go if you want! I love the logo design you did and it would be super to integrate it into our patch if that would be okay! We were going for a more traditional just translation instead of localization when it came to the difficulties and stuff, but your screens for the song info (like missed notes and whatnot) would be super awesome to use, since we actually haven't translated those yet, haha. But you are more than welcome to send me a PM or send me a link to the graphics you've translated. And if you know how to use HANS, I can send you a patch so you can see what else we have translated too!

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man, this is actually super awesome! You are totally welcome to come on board as far as editing some of the graphics go if you want! I love the logo design you did and it would be super to integrate it into our patch if that would be okay! We were going for a more traditional just translation instead of localization when it came to the difficulties and stuff, but your screens for the song info (like missed notes and whatnot) would be super awesome to use, since we actually haven't translated those yet, haha. But you are more than welcome to send me a PM or send me a link to the graphics you've translated. And if you know how to use HANS, I can send you a patch so you can see what else we have translated too!
Thanks! I'm glad you like them! For the sheets, really all I did was find the equivalent term in the English Taiko Drum Master and use it, rather than localizing any of the terms myself. The new menu items though I tried to do in a way that other 3DS games have things translated, like Local Play instead of Multiplayer. Feel free to use any of the ones I've posted (hopefully crediting me where you can ^^), and I'd love to help out!

Reactions: RhythmCat

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Your progress on this looks amazing!! I was totally thinking of importing the game, so I might actually do it now.

Also, props to Zander1995 for those amazing graphics and the logo :O
I couldn't encourage it enough! If you import the game, you can simply run the patch through HANS or even dump your cartridge and apply the patch to your game files!

Elratauru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Thanks to @Nagato, we have finally overcome the multi-image ctpk image issues! Patch could be coming very soon, especially with the additional help from @Zander1995! In the meantime, here are some nice screenshots to feast your eyes upon!

Now, those are pretty awesome! Now only the combo string and the Clear text is remaining for all gameplay to be translated :D

Reactions: tiduscrying

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
But wait, there's more! We fixed some major graphics issues last night and can now finally translate the other, smaller parts of the game like the "Good" "Great" and "Miss" that come up when you play the game. Along with that, all the combo stuff is translated aside from the Kusodama. The tutorial image works, but is doing something very odd where it is displaying all my new graphics as just black blobs, but I am going to PM someone about that in a bit. But so far, @shiduyo, @Zander1995 and I have been doing our best to get this patch done! Hopefully the full menu patch can be released sometime this weekend. The story patch will probably start with just the UI for all the main menus, time eras, and camp menu, and then move on to the story text. There will be some challenges getting the text to fit, so if there are any other fellow romhackers watching this thread that might know a thing or two about the font, PM me and hopefully we can work something out.

In the meantime, here are some more screenshots!
tIRpGxf.png
pNbSNPN.png
RSqjmRd.png
C3AsWC4.png
VRQBlIg.png
Now, keep in mind that the clipping problems you see in some places will be fixed in the full patch. It is just a major pain in the ass since the space allotted for the image is a lot smaller than what we need, since the Japanese text can consist of one or two symbols and end up translating as two entire words! But no worries, it'll be fixed. Stuff just might look a bit squished, but we gotta do what we gotta do :D

Reactions: Lycan911

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
This project is going smoothly. Should we expect a 100% complete translation of the game?
Well, like I said in the OP, a full menu patch is going to be released first, so people who don't care much for the story mode can just play the game right away. But we do have full plans to translate the story mode as well, however it will take quite a bit longer given the scope of the story and the potential difficulties we are going to have to go through getting the font to adjust right to english text. Neither @shiduyo, @Zander1995 nor I know much about the font, so that will definitely be interesting. This isn't some huge JRPG epic we are talking about here, but there is just a massive amount of images to translate and small bits of dialogue we have to translate as well. Don and Katsu's adventure through space time sure isn't a small one, haha. :P

Lycan911

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, like I said in the OP, a full menu patch is going to be released first, so people who don't care much for the story mode can just play the game right away. But we do have full plans to translate the story mode as well, however it will take quite a bit longer given the scope of the story and the potential difficulties we are going to have to go through getting the font to adjust right to english text. Neither @shiduyo, @Zander1995 nor I know much about the font, so that will definitely be interesting. This isn't some huge JRPG epic we are talking about here, but there is just a massive amount of images to translate and small bits of dialogue we have to translate as well. Don and Katsu's adventure through space time sure isn't a small one, haha. :P
So if I only want to play the rhythm game, the partial patch will suffice? I don't really mind the lack of story mode haha

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
So if I only want to play the rhythm game, the partial patch will suffice? I don't really mind the lack of story mode haha
Yep, the menu patch will patch everything you need to know to play the rhythm game (EXCEPT for the song titles, unfortunately)! We would have translated the song titles, but all of them are stored as one big image, which would just be the absolute biggest pain in the ass to translate. But other than that, everything else should be translated. Every menu is translated too, omitting the story-exclusive ones. Badges (kinda like achievements) aren't translated, but those aren't really important. They're just milestones you pass whenever you do something like clear all the Vocaloid songs or something. But everything that is needed to understand what you are doing is translated in the menu-only patch!

Keep in mind, everyone that there will be two patches. The menu only version, and the full version. The full version will be totally translated to the best of our abilities (story mode, RPG info, character info, etc. etc.) while the menu patch is just the main stuff you need to understand the game.

Menu patch might be released this weekend, but the full version patch is gonna take a bit longer, so no ETA on that yet!

Lycan911

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yep, the menu patch will patch everything you need to know to play the rhythm game (EXCEPT for the song titles, unfortunately)! We would have translated the song titles, but all of them are stored as one big image, which would just be the absolute biggest pain in the ass to translate. But other than that, everything else should be translated. Every menu is translated too, omitting the story-exclusive ones. Badges (kinda like achievements) aren't translated, but those aren't really important. They're just milestones you pass whenever you do something like clear all the Vocaloid songs or something. But everything that is needed to understand what you are doing is translated in the menu-only patch!

Keep in mind, everyone that there will be two patches. The menu only version, and the full version. The full version will be totally translated to the best of our abilities (story mode, RPG info, character info, etc. etc.) while the menu patch is just the main stuff you need to understand the game.

Menu patch might be released this weekend, but the full version patch is gonna take a bit longer, so no ETA on that yet!
Thanks for the detailed answer! I just have one more question, will the save file from the menu patch be compatible with the full patch?

Reactions: RhythmCat

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the detailed answer! I just have one more question, will the save file from the menu patch be compatible with the full patch?
No reason it wouldn't be! It's all one save file, so no worries. Do, however, backup your save using your save game manager of choice since re-installing the CIA will delete your save data. If you're running the .3ds file I guess you wouldn't have to do anything (I'm not acquainted with GW so I don't know) and if you're running from a legit cartridge your save data will untouched.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember years ago while vacationing in Florida, was walking along the beach, and come along a group of naked people sunbathing, wouldn't have been bad but I had my 9yr old daughter w me. I didn't know then that they have nudist beaches down there. (St. Petersburg, FL) Not sure if still do, was 20 yrs ago.
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I'm surprised there's no religion where you're always naked. and people arguing that it's their religion to be so, as it's how god created us
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Nowadays religion is used as a manipulation tactic to get more people in.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tbf most religions end up being naked
    +1
  • Minox @ Minox:
    Iunno, nudists while a bit bonkers tend to seem more sane than cults/religions
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I always wondered where do they keep they're wallet and car keys?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's the old way of we aren't animals we have materials to make us decent way of thinking
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Hey, if there's a giant elephant with four arms telling me what to do, I'm going to listen.
  • Minox @ Minox:
    @BigOnYa Attached to the shlong, duh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Or up their behind like they're smuggling drugs, idk.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Must be super painful.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol, instead of Fanny pack, they have the Shlong pack.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Who said us "Nudist" aren't sane? Were we "Born" with clothes? :mellow:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Fanny pack, that applies to women. ;)
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    honestly I think they just have those little hip packs
  • cearp @ cearp:
    exactly
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kind of like how thugs keep their guns in purses
  • cearp @ cearp:
    or maybe a very professional looking leather briefcase
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You'd think being nude on the beach, you would get sand in places you wouldn't want to.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ball pouches do exist
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    And that.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    It was Man who said the human body is "Repugnant". And those whom were jealous of what we were given at birth. :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine tripping and falling and getting road rash on your balls
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, What about it?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, What about it?