defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BASIC INJECTION TUTORIAL:

You will need:

orbis-pub-chk (cannot be shared here)
orbis-pub-gen (cannot be shared here)
parappa the rappa/patapon/loco roco 2 remasters fpkg (cannot be shared here)
A compatible PSP iso (cannot be shared here: also currently very few work, examples: lumines, loco roco games, patapon games (stuck at "sign" screen)) or build your own homebrew iso (See Optional)
HXD
notepad
gimp2

Start here:

Open the FPKG with pub-chk using all 0's as the key and extract ALL the content.

Copy all EXCEPT the playgo/psreserved/keystone files from the Sc0 folder

Locate Image0>sce_sys folder and paste the files in.
(should look like this: )
/about
/trophy
icon0.dds
icon0.png
nptitle.dat
npbind.dat
param.sfo
pic0.dds
pic0.png
pic1.dds
pic1.png
pronunciation.sig
pronunciation.xml
save_data.png
shareparam.json
snd0.at9

Replacing the game:

Locate Image0 > data folder and delete the USER_L0.IMG

(Trivia: L0 refers to layer 0 and L1 refers to layer 1 for PSP umd creation, L0&L1 can be = 900mb max, combined 1.8gb max)

Copy your PSP ISO to this location and to make things easier name it game.iso

Simple!

OPTIONAL Making your own homebrew ISO:

You need to locate: UMDGEN 4.0 & EBOOT2ISO 1.1 (cannot be shared here)

Open EBOOT2ISO, and select your homebrew eboot.pbp, put the output path as the same folder you are currently in, and click CONVERT

Place any files that came with the homebrew eboot.pbp into PSP_GAME/Sysdir. (Rom folders goe here too FYI)

Open UMDGEN, drag the PSP_GAME folder into UMDGen, click the UMD PROPERTIES tab and click GENERATE.

Click Save and select UNCOMPRESSED ISO.

Rename to game.iso and place in Image0 > data folder to test.

(Massive thanks to @ploggy for the mini tut!)

Editing the configuration:

Locate Image0 > config-emu-ps4.txt (make a back up somewhere else first just in case) open it in notepad:

Edit the "Game Image" part to this:
; Game Image
--image="data/game.iso"

Now go through config-emu-ps4.txt and ";" comment out EVERY uncommented command (you can actually leave SSAA4x if you want), for example:
Enabled:
; This enables bilinear filtering on replaced textures. (uncomment to enable)
--replacementfilter=true
Disabled (commented out):
; This enables bilinear filtering on replaced textures. (uncomment to enable)
;--replacementfilter=true
Save config-emu-ps4.txt and exit.

Editing icons and SFO:

To edit the SFO use HXD (make a back up somewhere else first just in case) you can edit (in three places) the line "PaRappa The Rapperâ„¢ Remastered" to almost any string you like, careful to maintain the length, for example mine is now set to: "PSPHD INJECTIONZ TEST REMASTERED"

You can also overwrite the CUSA ID/UCUS ID to individualize the game and allow more than one to be installed. For example: UP9000-CUSA05289_00-UCUS987020000001 is parappa original > EP9000-UCUS00304_00-UCUS003040000100 = Custom ID using Loco Roco's actual UCUS ID. (thanks @shopeg over at hax)

Dont forget the CUSA05289 line at the very bottom of the SFO too.

Save Param.SFO and exit.

Now go to Image0 > sce_sys and edit nptitle.dat with HXD to match the CUSA ID you used in the SFO.

To edit the icons and bg PNG's I suggest start new images in GIMP2 (or your preferred image editor):

512x512 24bit PNG for Icon0.png
1920x1080 24bit PNG for pic0.png and pic1.png
228x128 24bit PNG for save_data.png

(if you have issues with PNG being 8bit or 32 bit, simply save png as jpg (which is 24 bit by default), then re-save that jpg as png, and you now have 24bit png)

Stripping out unneeded files:

You can remove pretty much anything that relates to texture/movie/sample swaps, languages, etc leaving a bare bones set of directories ready to customize your own in future. For this tutorial I have left pretty much everything up to you to make it simpler. Feel free to experiment with what files are and aren't needed (for example .dds files arent needed ;))

Rebuilding the FPKG:

Open pub-gen, double click image0 in right pane, drag contents of your Image0 folder into that directory,
Click chunk panel on left, right click image0 on left and tick switch chunks, press C to close that pane.
Click command > project settings>package: give the pkg a name in the format "XXYY-XXXXYYYYY_00-ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ" = use the ID you gave it while editing the SFO for easy way to remember it.
Give the FPKG a passcode (32 0's is HIGHLY recommended)
Click ok, hit build (far right) then set directory for output PKG, once selected then hit tab and hit enter to start the FPKG build.

Once done save the GP4 file (you can simply swap the iso over (cannot add or remove/rename files) and use this GP4 to quickly skip almost all steps in the rebuilding FPKG section: next time associate the GP4 file with gen-pub (in windows or your os), double click the GP4 and hit build.

You can rename the PKG anything you like, I name mine as <content vX>.pkg for example: Loco Roco v3.pkg (version denotes changes I have made in case of regressions)

Copy the FPKG to your exfat USB stick, and install to PS4 through [SETTINGS] > [DEBUG SETTINGS] > [GAME] > [PKG INSTALLER].

Enjoy and report back any specific PSP game success stories! (psdevwiki compatibility list coming soon)

COMPATIBLE GAMES:
(Its a short list)

Bust-a-Move Deluxe = works fine.

Patapon = cant get past "sign" screen.

Patapon 2 = cant get past "sign" screen.

Patapon 3 = cant get past "sign" screen.

Loco Roco = works fine ; comment out all options in config.

Loco Roco 2 = works fine ; comment out all options in config.

Lumines = Loads into game but gfx missing (unplayable)

More to come ;)

Original post

I noticed recently that the PSP remaster of Parappa the Rappa was indeed a PSP emulator very similar in structure to the PS2 classics one we know and love.

This thread will document findings and informations based on this subject only, and this thread will evolve to turn (hopefully) into a tutorial for injecting your own isos and playing PSP on PS4!

Lets start with Basic info:

UMDGEN 4.00 generates same files as the ones found in CUSA05289_00's IMG.

The MD5 of the main game file USER_L0.IMG is F2C73AA0EF2E326C128929230D08678A which matches that of the one found in the PSY-PTRU.ISO release.

The PRX files libscefios.prx and libc.prx mirror those required for PS2 classics, perhaps we can use those patched versions of those files in this method to make accepted injected pkgs.

The ps4 pkg contains configuration for texture swaps, this will need to be commented out to allow a different game to be injected.

Stay tuned for much MUCH more..

Edit new info:
USER_L0.IMG might have a limit of 880mb = TBC.

Iso is not compressed.

Master disc format might be required to pkg game.

Might be possible to swap isos via ftp or placeholder app... watch this space.

IIRC I saw option to dump textures meaning it might be possible to make custom texture packs.
Please feel free to contribute!

Last edited by KiiWii,

joemoe123g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
did you contact flatz? He might have the necessary knowledge for this... Also I was wondering the ps4 version of uncharted collection... are we also talking about emulation there? Maybe a ps3 emulator ??

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
did you contact flatz? He might have the necessary knowledge for this... Also I was wondering the ps4 version of uncharted collection... are we also talking about emulation there? Maybe a ps3 emulator ??

I have contacted a couple of devs, wether they get back to me is another matter....

I doubt theres a PS3 emulator, more likely assets were ported to an upgraded engine for PS4.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a thought:

; Game Image
--image="data/USER_L0.IMG"

Change to:

; Game Image
--image="data/WHATEVER.ISO" .. could it be that simple....

Obv need to swap prx's with ones in ps2 classics template, edit sfo, and comment out all texture swap in cfg.

Last edited by KiiWii,

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just had a thought:

; Game Image
--image="data/USER_L0.IMG"

Change to:

; Game Image
--image="data/WHATEVER.ISO" .. could it be that simple....

Obv need to swap prx's with ones in ps2 classics template, edit sfo, and comment out all texture swap in cfg.
Would it not be better to convert the iso to img, so its atleast the file format it's looking for? I feel like that would cut one variable out of why it wouldn't work. God I hope it works.

Edit: if it doesn't require a compressed .img then you could just rename the .iso to .img.

Last edited by reminon,

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USER_L0.IMG is created from the UMDGEN included in the PSP SDK, It contains all the assets and such for a game.
6.60 SDK is public so getting this tool is possible.
Good luck OP ;D

Im bad at explaining things :(

Last edited by fate6,
Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
USER_L0.IMG is created from the UMDGEN included in the PSP SDK, It contains all the assets and such for a game.
6.60 SDK is public so getting this tool is possible.
Good luck OP ;D

Im bad at explaining things :(

I found this info just now in a method to run beta/preview titles on PSP HERE:

"Step 3: DO THIS ONLY IF YOU DID NOT DO STEP2
Rename USER_L0.IMG to USER_L0.ISO"

@joemoe123g I am just about to fire it up.

EDIT: This just popped up on twitter: https://pastebin.com/CXRpVLdd

@darkelement seems to be on this mission too, lets hope someone succeeds for the scene :)

Last edited by KiiWii,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but who discovered this and where did you find the pastebin ?
(the paste.bin is the cfg file for the dump of parappa remaster which was uploaded Saturday morning.)

AFAIK: Saturday afternoon I spotted the parappa remaster dump on a certain site and mentioned that this might be a PSX emulator, dug deeper and Strann0 and jwooh found its a Allegrex PSP emulator. jwooh and I have both been testing various things to get images swapped and built, but neither have managed to get past black screen.... its probably something obvious.

From my quick tests this morning:
Its easy to swap the USER_L0.IMG, and comment out cfg for texture/sample swaps (the img = the iso)
Its even easier to make custom icons and SFO with custom ID's
It looks like we need a modified libSceNpToolkit2.prx to build properly (?)
I'm not sure how to build/if Sc0 folder is needed for PKG

I'm highly convinced its do able, but unfortunately I dont think I am the person to do this right now, I simply have too much going on IRL to spend enough time on this :(

DarkElement‏ @zordon605 seems to be on the case though :)

Last edited by KiiWii,

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Injecting PSP games is a great idea. Hopefully it wouldn't be ultra hard because sony always complicates everything with code signature and encryption.

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
care to share the template? lol ;)
Great! Are they playable?

Literally swap the img out and remove cfg. Trust me there are people working all out on this as we speak. Very soon we will have injects :)

My personal template is very messy and didnt work well, others have got further. We are sharing all info to get this done :)

joemoe123g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Kiiwii any psx games released for ps4 remastered? Would be cool to have psx games in HD on ps4 :O

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also any pics ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.