Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

United States
    I think that's the hardest part really. There's plenty of people who are probably capable of putting something together, the problem is that all the people who would potentially do it are against piracy for the most part. I personally don't give a crap about piracy, but pirating personally and completely opening a console to piracy are two different things. And to make matters even worse, gaining firmlaunch hax is only half the battle really. You have to know how to patch the signature checks, and most people who know that bit are extremely tight-lipped in terms of telling it to someone else.

Killaclown and lPolarisl like this.
  2. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    marksteele Thank you! I was thinking about writing a response to that.. But it wouldn't have been as civil.

3. MasterBro10

MasterBro10 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Just one small question. Are linked sysnands/emunands still a thing?

4. codychaosx

codychaosx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you know who would be a great addition to this team? I think govanify would be extremely useful and we all know when it comes to keeping secrets he's the best around.

5. pspklp

pspklp Member
    Newcomer

with KARL, i have a new3ds 9.0, can i play games with version required are 9.0+? thanks all ^^

6. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Just because plenty of the project is open source doesn't mean you can call it an open source project. An open source project implies that that the entire project's code is visible and can be changed, adapted, remixed, etc, etc. What you have is a program that uses open source elements but isn't open source itself. I hate to argue semantics but that's what you folks are doing with the emulator discussion so......

Margen67 and Axido like this.
  7. mid-kid

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

There's a difference between Open Source (which means that there's source code) and Open Source® (which is the more strict meaning you're talking about).

8. Ralph1611

Ralph1611 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    All I want is to be able to change my stuff to US so my daughter can play her retail Tomodachi

9. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    And who decided that? Or is that different meaning something you just made up...

Margen67 likes this.
  10. mid-kid

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

People using that term decided that.
    It's clear that the meaning of "Open Source" in the OP is not the same as marksteele is talking about.

11. marksteele

marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    o·pen-source
    adjective
    COMPUTING

1. denoting software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified.
    Notice is says original source code and freely available. This is the accepted definition of ANY open source software.

For a longer definition:

Generically, open source refers to a program in which the source code is available to the general public for use and/or modification from its original design free of charge, i.e., open. Open source code is typically created as a collaborative effort in which programmers improve upon the code and share the changes within the community. Open source sprouted in the technological community as a response to proprietary software owned by corporations.

Margen67 and Memoir like this.
  12. vingt-2

vingt-2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Do you guys have any ideas on improving stability of the arm11 Kernel exec ?
    Bootstrap fails most of the time 100% of the time on my machine. I'm using the last build because I just received my copy of cubic ninja.
    Is there a way to reduce the probability of an interrupt request while on the backdoor ?

Another thing to report. Once I got it to not crash, and was able to make a clean exit after waitKey(), the exploit would reload itself (I'm not using the homebrew launcher so it just goes back to loading bootstrap), and would still be successful. Tried 10 times in a row.

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

yawn.....i dont think they care....maybe "karl3DS" is just the bootstrap bit of the project, firm patches are separate :P

14. vingt-2

vingt-2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Well it's a bit of a problem if running the exploit takes 10 minutes of trial and error.

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

oh that wasn't directed at you, it was in regards to the "THIS IS NOT OPENSOURCE!!!!" rant,
    I'm sure compatibility will be improved in time, they are focusing on n3ds atm, and its most likely optimized for the FW versions that they have access to for testing :)

16. vingt-2

vingt-2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Ooops my bad :P. Although I am a bit sad that this is not open source because I'm really curious from a technical point of view and would like to contribute.

17. :-infern:

:-infern: GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Right I think I've got the hang of C in 3DS, released two hello worlds and a prime number generator, basic stuff huh but I else don't know what to work on. Anything you guys need help with? I read your post about a homebrew channel style launcher, i'd be up with helping with that and anything else to keep me busy to be honest. N3DS hasn't got a hard mod yet so I'm not up with installing anything to the SYSNand.

In regards to all this open/closed source crying, please keep the stance you have. With your emunand we will still be able to access eShop to buy SD games and play cart games so theres no loss to the gaming experience, nor is there any loss to the hard working developers at Nintendo.

Zidapi likes this.
  18. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    A link to the source of that definition would have been nice, but it still seems more plausible than "People using that term decided that", which feels like a pretty bad excuse for not being able to support someone's point with actual facts.

That's actually an interesting thought. But what is really necessary to get to the region-free that the R in KARL3DS stands for? I thought you need kernel access for that... Wait a minute. Kernel... even the K in the acronym is related to the closed-source content. :rolleyes:

Margen67 likes this.
  19. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

United States
    What's your system version? That sounds like messed up patch offsets to me.

20. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    That IS what open source is. Y'know.. Like Linux and its sister systems.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Loadcode, KARL3DS, Ninjhax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.