Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ZA5o5hn.png
Introduction
Crimson Scripter is a homebrew I made using Lua Player Plus by Rinnegatamante.
It is a Sound Novel script interpreter for the Nintendo 3DS.

Description, FAQ and Downloads now on Github. https://github.com/Phalk/crimsonscripter/wiki

Downloads

https://github.com/Phalk/crimsonscripter/releases

Screenshots

cR6PqNk.jpg

1qoRdNJ.jpg

6xis3AC.jpg

0cy6UEk.jpg

Last edited by phalk,

Rinnegatamante

Trophies
Website
rinnegatamante.it
XP
Country
Italy
Never heard about Sound Novels, interesting.

Why did you make this? There are other similar projects out there.
Well, initially I wanted to make a Sound Novel myself for the 3DS. So I started looking at the possibilites that were at my hand and then I found the Lua Player Plus and thought this would be a good opportunity.
I also wanted to have the flexibility to add and remove features at my leisure and to learn something new.

Quite sure there is no single sound novels interpreter. There is a Visual Novel ones which is a port of VNDS for what i know so, good job ;)

Reactions: phalk

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've made an HTML5 interpreter to aid the script testing proccess without having to copy the files to the 3DS every time you add or change something. This should behave very similar to the way it plays in a real 3DS. Actually, this is an old project of mine that I modified a little to serve as a helper for the Crimson Scripter.

You will need a webserver to use it (EasyPHP will do) because modern browsers don't allow javascript access local files.

You can try a demo here.

This demo uses the same files from Apocrypha that are included with the download.

The files to use this will be in the next release, once I implement ogg file for BGM instead of WAV.

Last edited by phalk,
Reactions: Rinnegatamante

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Version 0.2b released. Check the first post.

I reviewed all the code and it should be somewhat stable now. Some new features were added.

Last edited by phalk,

TheCruel

Developer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good work. I'd generally prefer porting a known and used scripting language or engine, but since it looks like you've already done work on this previously that can't be helped. Looks cool anyways. I'd play (or read lol) more games like Apocrypha. :)

Reactions: phalk

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Good work. I'd generally prefer porting a known and used scripting language or engine, but since it looks like you've already done work on this previously that can't be helped. Looks cool anyways. I'd play (or read lol) more games like Apocrypha. :)

Yeah, but there are several of those around. This is loosely based on the NScripter with my own ideas and a different approach. The goal is to make it as simple as possible for the writter.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've also have an older project of a JavaScript version of this. The HTML5 test tool is based on it, and the games made for the 3DS version will be fully compatible with it if I ever release it.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
There, 0.3a released. Please check the first post.
I've also added some crappy screenshots (taken with phone).

It should be pretty usable right now.
I will focus on releasing a full game using it now, so the next updates will take some more time in the next days.

Last edited by phalk,

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If anyone had downloaded 0.3a, please update to 0.3.2a. Backgrounds were not being loaded from saved games in the 0.3 alpha.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Will there be any way to compile the novels we make to 3dsx/cia? I doubt it's possible, but I'm just wondering because this is pretty similar to this Visual Novel engine on Android called 0m3ga that uses it's own really basic language and the creator of the app can compile the games as apks.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Will there be any way to compile the novels we make to 3dsx/cia? I doubt it's possible, but I'm just wondering because this is pretty similar to this Visual Novel engine on Android called 0m3ga that uses it's own really basic language and the creator of the app can compile the games as apks.
Yes, its already possible. You just need to use the bannertool provided and make your own banner and replace the smdh file with it for 3dsx then rename the files. For cia the proccess is a bit more complicated, but I will make a guide later.

phalk

Handheld Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
0.3.3 alpha released.

Changelog:
* Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience, lol. (aka a lot of bugfixes -- for real)

Known bugs:
- #snd is still disabled. Will be fixed in the next release.

That being said, currently, the only way to stop a bgm from playing is to play another bgm in it's place. I'm trying to fix this ASAP, but I'm having little luck as of the moment.

Last edited by phalk,
Reactions: RedBlueGreen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi: