Windows XP Installation Troubles

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CheatingSoi, Dec 30, 2011.

Dec 30, 2011
  1. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    I have a working version of Windows XP Black edition on a computer. I am trying to install the original XP it came with but every time I get to the install screen. It gives me this. Unable to find an drive. When I click enter to choose a drive it blue screens. I have tried multiple Windows XP install disks. I have no idea what to do. The harddrive is clearly in there and working as I can see it in my BIOS and can boot to my current OS.

[​IMG]

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    XP doesn't have the drivers for your motherboard's controllers, due to how old it is.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/resolving-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/
    There's the two main methods (burning a custom disc with the drivers stuck into it, or putting the drivers on a floppy or something to give to the installer).

3. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Thank you very much. But I don't know how to get the drivers to insert. It doesnt seem to mention this. All I can find is drivers from sonys website but they are .exes I need inf.

4. Rydian

United States
    You need to get the drivers from the company that made your motherboard (or the company that made the drive controller chips on them). If all you can get are exe files, then use 7-zip to open them up and get at the files within them.

The inf itself is not all you need, you need the other files bundled with it (like how an .exe for a game is useless without all the other files that are installed too), so don't just copy over the inf.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    nlite should have the option (messing around with the press f6 to "install third-party RAID or SCSI drivers" is annoying and doubly so as most machines lack floppy drives these days) but I often find the easier method is until you get the drivers installed switch your sata options to emulate IDE or an equivalent to it (it might be under ACHI options)- it has fallen short once or twice over the years for me but it usually works.

6. Rydian

United States
    An issue with that is that's a slower mode, and if you switch it back after install XP won't boot.