Hacking Question Windows doesn't recognize Nintendo Switch as APX device

Cellulose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to figure this out for days now looking all for a solution to my problem, and continue to still have issues. I have got my Switch into RCM mode using multiple methods the one I am using currently is bending pins 9 and 10 on right joycon to short it and going from there. The problem I am having is that my computer will not pick it up as an APX device. I am on firmware 6.2.0. I am using a Nintendo Swith Pro Controller USB-C to USB-A cable. I have tried installed the driver from TegraRCM and that doesn't work because once I exit out of TegraRCM I can click "install driver" again and it will say I don't have the driver installed. It's displaying in my device manager as Unknown USB device. If anyone could help me out with this I would be internally grateful. I would even be willing to TeamView if need be. I have also seen other threads related to this one, but none of them really definitively answer my question.

Last edited by Cellulose,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been trying to figure this out for days now looking all for a solution to my problem, and continue to still have issues. I have got my Switch into RCM mode using multiple methods the one I am using currently is bending pins 9 and 10 on right joycon to short it and going from there. The problem I am having is that my computer will not pick it up as an APX device. I am using a Nintendo Swith Pro Controller USB-C to USB-A cable. I have tried installed the driver from TegraRCM and that doesn't work because once I exit out of TegraRCM I can click "install driver" again and it will say I don't have the driver installed. It's displaying in my device manager as Unknown USB device. If anyone could help me out with this I would be internally grateful. I would even be willing to TeamView if need be. I have also seen other threads related to this one, but none of them really definitively answer my question.
I suppose you could try to install the driver manually from Device Manager -> Update Driver

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Whenever I try to do this it says that the best driver for this device as already been installed, yet I've uninstalled the driver itself.
There is a way around that. If you choose Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... and then manually browse to the driver and select it it will let you force the install.

Cellulose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a way around that. If you choose Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... and then manually browse to the driver and select it it will let you force the install.

I am clicking the folder that says APX driver in the TegraRCM folder and the message I got in return is "The folder you specified doesn't contain driver software for your device.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am clicking the folder that says APX driver in the TegraRCM folder and the message I got in return is "The folder you specified doesn't contain driver software for your device.
There is only a x86 driver inside there, the x64 driver seems to be missing, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work :unsure:
But, it appears to just be standard libusb, which you can alternatively install with Zadig: https://zadig.akeo.ie/
There are a few variations of libusb included with Zadig, I'm not sure which one is needed so you may have to try them all.

Cellulose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still says Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I've also tried this on Mac and it still doesn't show the device of even show up as an APX device.

Update: Have tried 4 different computers now all show up as Unknown USB Device. I have to be doing something wrong or something. I am in RCM mode with the right joycon pins 9 + 10 shorted. Have tried it on a Macbook, two desktops, and a laptop. All of them say the same thing.

Last edited by Cellulose,

LapCheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
TegraRCM does not know whether your pc have the driver or not. It only grey out the option when it detect your switch in RCM mode. So don't be alarm, my pc is fully configured (I hope so) and it is still showing as apx driver missing

Have you tried this?

Get your Switch into RCM mode and plug it into your Windows PC. It should show up somewhere (like Device manager) as "APX"
Download and run Zadig driver installer from https://zadig.akeo.ie/
From the device list, choose APX (if it's not showing up in the list, go to Options menu and check List All Devices)
For the driver type, cycle the arrows until you see libusbK (v3.0.7.0) in the text box (IMPORTANT!)
Click the big Install Driver button. Device manager should now show "APX" under libusbK USB Devices tree item.

The name "APX" or "nintendo switch" is not important, since my switch is displaying "libusb-device" God knows why. Just keep re plugging your switch a few to verify it is indeed the unknown device or whatever

Last edited by LapCheong,
Reactions: peteruk

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I wrong or is this what iPatched units do?
Patched has nothing to do with RCM. In fact, you can't patch out RCM (as far as I know). What can be patched out is accepting payloads. The reason we know patched units exist is because we can successfully fail at sending payloads to them, not successfully fail at entering RCM. RCM is an extremely user-dependent process that can only be mitigated with a high quality jig.

Reactions: lembi2001

Cellulose

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TegraRCM does not know whether your pc have the driver or not. It only grey out the option when it detect your switch in RCM mode. So don't be alarm, my pc is fully configured (I hope so) and it is still showing as apx driver missing

Have you tried this?

Get your Switch into RCM mode and plug it into your Windows PC. It should show up somewhere (like Device manager) as "APX"
Download and run Zadig driver installer from https://zadig.akeo.ie/
From the device list, choose APX (if it's not showing up in the list, go to Options menu and check List All Devices)
For the driver type, cycle the arrows until you see libusbK (v3.0.7.0) in the text box (IMPORTANT!)
Click the big Install Driver button. Device manager should now show "APX" under libusbK USB Devices tree item.

The name "APX" or "nintendo switch" is not important, since my switch is displaying "libusb-device" God knows why. Just keep re plugging your switch a few to verify it is indeed the unknown device or whatever
I have tried to install driver through zadig on the unknown device option and it just tells me that the driver installation failed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu