Windows Backup/Restore Option Question

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello. I've been backing up my windows 10 laptop to an external hdd using the built in backup option (windows 7). however, each backup seems to take up a sizeable chunk of space. I actually ran out of space when my computer was backed up last night. I've tried fiddling with the options, but that seemed to have no effect. also, the size of the backup seems to be about twice the size of the space used on my internal hdd. I just deleted a 3ds sd card backup (almost 100GBs) from my desktop, since that was likely part of the previous backup, but the backup came out considerably larger. is this supposed to be like this? I find it odd that it would have a scheduling option if that's the case. should I use a third-party app instead? thanks!

SmellyPirateMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello. I've been backing up my windows 10 laptop to an external hdd using the built in backup option (windows 7). however, each backup seems to take up a sizeable chunk of space. I actually ran out of space when my computer was backed up last night. I've tried fiddling with the options, but that seemed to have no effect. also, the size of the backup seems to be about twice the size of the space used on my internal hdd. I just deleted a 3ds sd card backup (almost 100GBs) from my desktop, since that was likely part of the previous backup, but the backup came out considerably larger. is this supposed to be like this? I find it odd that it would have a scheduling option if that's the case. should I use a third-party app instead? thanks!
I've never used the windows backup utility before so I'm unable to help you there but I use Acronis. It's a paid app but well worth it. Comes with a recovery disc you can boot to incase something happens then you can just restore your backup

Sent from my toaster running Rebug

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Are you sure the files were actually removed (recycle bin and shadow copies)?

Frankly I don't have much experience with Vista/7 backup (strong fan of copy and paste), but it's rather inefficient and a major pain to get files out without using the same tool - 8/10 actually improved on this front

How are you measuring the size, too? The correct way is from the backup and restore main window > manage space; note also that having system images activated effectively means making a double backup...

Last edited by Ryccardo,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, guys. I have one backup. I've configured it to "maintain only the most recent system image." however, every time it updates the image, more space is used. this even happens when I've deleted more content thus making the used space on my laptop even smaller.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've run into a problem with restore. I get this error: 80042302 . it says something about a shadow copy. I've looked on the internet for a solution to this problem, but nothing seems to work. thus, I can't restore my system. btw, the restore function fails instantly via the windows 10 repair disc. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse