Windows 8 Login Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Dartz150, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Dartz150
    OP

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    I have a problem since yesterday in the login screen. When I start my PC, the lock screen appears, but when I go to the login screen, it freezes, the password section appears, but won't allow you to introduce any password, it just freezes. Sometimes it lets you to introduce the pass, but pressing enter does nothing, I tried to auto-repair using the instalation disk but everytime I try it shows an error message, even trying to resotre the system to its defaults gives me an error.

The last solution I want to do is to formatt my system again, because I don't have enough time to do so, anyone knows if there is a fix for this? At this time, I'm on safe mode with network functions.

BTW, after severlar restarts, an odd error ocurred: The log screen doesn't longer appear, it just shows a black screen with the power and accesibility options buttons, the profile image and the password field are no longer there...

2. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Can you get to System Restore and try to restore back to when you were able to boot normally? I don't know if you can do that in Win 8 (or in safe mode) or not.

3. Dartz150
    OP

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Yup, I did it, but the problem still exist, it was a restoration from 3 months ago :/, so _the problem isn't the restoration itself.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Does it affect safe mode? Redundant question, answered by the fact that you could try a restore.

5. Dartz150
    OP

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Until now I tried some methods, even disabling both the lock and the login screens via registry doesn't fix the problem, the profile login screen still appears, without the profile image and the password field, they're gone... only lets you to restart or shut down the system, or enable the accesibility options, it's odd and there isn't any info of it.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Hmm...if a System Restore doesn't do it, and disabling the login screen doesn't work, it seems like you might have to do a reinstall...

I would recommend putting a Linux distro on a USB drive and backing up all the stuff you want before doing so...

7. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Windows 8 is heavily DirectX accelerated.

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. If they aren't absolutely bulletproof, you'll have issues.

Maybe that's what's going on here?

8. Dartz150
    OP

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    Sorry for bump the thread, but I have found the problem: It was related to NOD32 antivirus.

It seems that a bug on Windows 8 causes this, because it does some code execution that the antivirus detects as a virus, and stops it, resulting into the froze login screen.

I uninstalled the antivirus on safe mode and I have been able to log on, then I updated to Windows 8.1, re-installed the antivirus... Everything is working fine now.

Thanks for all the tips above, they were usefull in my way to find the problem, and I hope that this thread helps other peolpe with my same problem.

Riyaz likes this.