Windows 8.1 Update + Remote Desktop App for Android and iOS.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by The Milkman, Oct 18, 2013.

1. The Milkman
    OP

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    [​IMG]

The update brings a host of new features and tweaks.

The download is a bit more then 3 GBs and can be found on the Windows Store's front page.

IN OTHER NEWS!

Link for Android

Pretty nice stuff. Can't wait to mess with it after 8.1 is done downloading.

Source (Win 8.1)

Patxinco and filfat like this.

2. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Kewlio, going to wait until tomorrow to update though.

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    So they've fixed the problems? Windows Hate.Done

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Psionic Roshambo and Dark S. like this.
  4. basher11

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    at least the upgrade is free.

5. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Why do they continue to design methods of interaction that are occur, unestablished and improperly conveyed?
    In what instance in any desktop OS can you recall the use of a long press to operate something?
    I mean, asides from the standard click and dragging maneuver, or if you're using a touch screen interface, something you might do to register a right click instead of a left click.

6. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    Already had it on my desktop for a month now, really liking it more than Win8. And it quickly installed on my laptop today :P
    Looks really nice too IMO:
    On a desktop or a laptop, 'long press' translates to 'right click'. Dunno why that isn't specified in the OP.

7. The Milkman
    OP

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!

I was in a hurry and actually was going to correct him myself :P

Got it now.

Nice screen also.

EDIT: Also, its an OS for tablets too you know, and I highly doubt nobody here uses one. Hence why I left in the bits about the gestures and such.

8. GreatZimkogway

GreatZimkogway Still a Touhou Fanatic

Jul 21, 2009
    United States
    Senkai
    Long press is the term equivalent, for tablets, to a right-click. Whether you like it or not, Windows 8/8.1 is both a desktop OS and a tablet/mobile OS. Cut them some slack.

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    desktop mode - lets people avoid the tiled interface entirely

THANK GOD!!!!

(okay, I'm avoiding it already with a scheduled task...but it's not a pretty solution)

10. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Downloading it since last night. At 26% now. Dunno why I updated despite not needing any of the new features :P Although customizable Modern UI background is nice. :)

11. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Gonna go download this now. Though I like the start menu, Classic Shell is too buggy and clunky for me to really like it. As long as I can boot to desktop now, this'll do just fine.

I'm sure it was a bigger adjustment for people moving from DOS to 3.1 or such. Things change. You'll survive.

12. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    thing is you cant upgrade from win8 if u've used KMS. i hope an upgrade is still possible.
    Another highlight is that can boot in a minimum of 22 secs

13. filfat

filfat Musician, Developer & Entrepreneur

Nov 24, 2012
    the only problem though is that the Jailbreak dosent work on Windows RT 8.1 :/ but whatever XD

14. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    Upgrading as we speak and it's taking forever. Got through the last two episodes of Archer Season03 and holy shit it just Finished. Finally.

filfat likes this.
  15. filfat

Nov 24, 2012
    why does everybody say that the update takes long time to download? the pro version is just 3GB it took like 40 minutes...

16. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Still no way to download apps without changing your system password to your Microsoft account password.
    Still no official search without using Metro.
    Still no official solitaire/minesweeper/etc. apps that don't require subscriptions to be ad-free.

I'm aware that the last two can be easily circumvented, but it's the fact that Microsoft gave absolutely no shits about any of it that grates at me. Fixing a couple of major flaws and bundling it with prior security fixes or features that no one will use isn't a new version of Windows, it's a service pack. I can only laugh at anyone who says Windows 8.1 is more than marginally better better than the basic Windows 8 release - it doesn't do anything that shouldn't have been an option in the first place, nor does it do anything that 20 minutes of downloading and setup of third-party programs post-install couldn't have done better in the original Windows 8 or in 8.1.

17. filfat

Nov 24, 2012
    Whats wrong with metro? its looks realy good on a desktop AND a tablet, its easy to use and learn. and it support a own type of programs that calls "Apps".

18. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    So to everyone/anyone who's "scared" about right clicking the start button for access to administrative options, all because it's different, this is what you're afraid of:

[​IMG]

Nothing stops you from swiping in from the right still and clicking Settings -> Control Panel. Now I don't have to search "cmd" to run it as administrator, it's right there on the Start menu.

Well, yeah, installation took about 40-45 minutes. Download about the same but that was all background.

When I set up Windows 8 initially, I logged in with my LiveID, so this is a non-issue.
    You can search from the top right corner of Windows Explorer like you could in Windows 7.
    Well, as far as Solitaire goes, "Microsoft Solitaire Collection" is presumably official, and as far as I can tell, ad-free. And free.

I have to figure out how to get it to boot to desktop since that's a new feature. Sure, it's not a huge upgrade, but I still like it. Windows 8 is just fine for me, and it's good to see Microsoft supporting a product that's received so much negative backlash by upgrading it to Windows 8.1 (yes, essentially SP1). I'm not afraid of change. I feel like anyone who bashes Windows 8 hasn't given it the opportunity it deserves, they see the tiles and think the entire OS is like that.

Edit - Oh, look at how normal and Windows 7-like the scary Windows 8.1 OS looks.

Warning, big pic.

Edit 2 - I can right click the Start button and have one-click access to "Programs and Features". This is fucking fantastic as far as I am concerned. :o

EZ-Megaman, Ammako and filfat like this.
  19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Hmm. I really should add this to a few windows 8 machines just to say I have done it. On the other hand Classic Start does well for them and none of the extras are all that interesting to me or mine.

filfat likes this.
  20. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    Because some of us have a download speed of only 1.5Mb. It will take the best part of the day to download 3GB of data.

Vengenceonu and The Milkman like this.
  21. filfat

Nov 24, 2012
    there's not even possible order a speed like that ;)
    the lowest speed is 20mb ;)