Windows 7 Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Porygon-X, Mar 19, 2011.

Mar 19, 2011

Windows 7 Questions by Porygon-X at 2:24 AM (741 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Porygon-X
    OP

Member Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

China
    Okay. I recently bought a computer and is waiting for it to arrive (21 days)!

It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium but I want to upgrade it to Windows 7 Ultimate. If I pirate Windows 7 Ultimate and install it, will my OS still be genuine or will it be flagged as counterfeit?

Oh and what do you think about this processor: Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30 GHz

Thankss

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    for what purpose do you need ultimate for...?

3. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    The key that comes with your PC is tied to that specific Windows 7 version. If you use that key to install W7 Ultimate, it won't work.

You could always install Ultimate and then "activate" it using certain tools...

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Is this a serious question? I can't even tell...

Why do you feel the need to get ultimate anyways? Tell me ONE feature you need.

As for the processor, it'll do you just fine.

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    If it's an OEM install, you can reinstall Windows as Ultimate and use an Ultimate OEM key (you'll probably need to find the Cert, certificate, or make a backup of the cert you have).

But again, WHY do you need Ultimate? There are really no features a home user would need.
    The only things I would think of using of would be Group Policy (for some VERY obscure settings) and Windows XP Mode (but that's cuz I like having a secure environment to test stuff, but that is just a virtual XP install).

6. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    There are keys online that allow you to directly update to Ultimate using the Anytime Upgrade Feature. It will be fully genuine and you can receive all future updates. Obviously I won't tell you where to get it, but it does work.

However, Ultimate really is just Windows 7 Pro with language packs. If anything, upgrade to Pro, though even for the average user there's no reason to do so.

Finally, you could just clean install your pirated Windows 7, then use WAT Remover to make it genuine, though you will need to do this each time Microsoft decides to update Windows (not all the time, depends on the update).

Ultimately (no pun intended), I would just leave it as is, unless you REALLY need Pro/Ultimate, go with my first suggestion.

7. Porygon-X
    OP

Member Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

China
    Oh okay. Thanks for your thoughts.

One last thing: if I do in the future decide to upgrade legally or illegally, will it delete my current files on the computer? Or will it simply update the OS files and finish?

I'll ad more tomorrow ss I'm on my phone.

8. Rydian

United States
    If you were thinking that it's faster than home, that's incorrect, it just has more features, but these aren't things a home user would need.

That said, if you did upgrade all your files would be intact. You might need to stick the disc in for it to get at the other files it needs, but that's it.

9. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    but for a programmer. what version of seven would you recommend rydian? good for visual studio?

10. twiztidsinz

United States
    Aside from Starter, and maybe Home Starter, makes zero difference.

11. Rydian

United States
    AFAIK none of the windows versions include extra tools that would help with that. If you were talking about programming for windows itself (say, virtual device drivers and other professional stuff) it might be a consideration, but not for normal programming.

A "power user" is still a home user and will be fine with a home version of windows.

12. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    ahh, thanks for that. but i have vista ultimate? is there a way i can install 7 home with my files intact?

13. twiztidsinz

United States
    Not really... just keep Ultimate.