Gaming Windows 7 probs

Mr. Waffle

A Free Waffle
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I installed this custom made windows 7 off usenet, so called an extreme gamer edition, which is just plain and no nonsense installed.
But, when I go to properties off my pc, it says "System rating not available." Is there a way to activate it?
And also, when I want to install or open that gadget screen, it says they are contoller by the system admin, but I am the admin and only user off the pc. So yea, thats kinda weird.

Are there solutions to these things? I tried google but it hates me and won't give me answers I want.

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
system rating is not available probably because you haven't run it yet if you just installed it. right click my computer, properties. that should take you to the system rating page. there should be a little link that says something like "run system rating now".
as for the system administrator problem with the gadgets, try turning UAC down or off.

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is no such thing as "extreme gamer edition".

Chances are you downloaded some iso that has been repacked with a ton of crap, in the worst case its full of lovely trojans best case its full of pointless junk/"tweaks" which has broke parts of it. Either way you would never know if someone tried to smuggle some of the above in to it as it would all be installed while windows 7 is installing or silently on first run.

Do yourself a favour and download a proper version of windows 7 and format your PC and start over fresh.

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
you guys are all being really ignorant right now, there's no sense in flaming the poor guy for asking a simple question. There ARE custom versions of windows 7 that people repack with certain things taken out like extra languages and old drivers etc... probably not as many old drivers as it's a new OS.
NOT all versions of nlited operating systems are pestered with spyware and most likely you will find the spyware filled ones on torrents not usenet,
which brings me to point 3. He said he downloaded it from usenet. 99% of stuff on usenet is legit. Spyware or trojans are not tollerated there and usually removed (unless you are specifically looking for them, then you will probably find them in their respective servers). in my 5 years of downloading from usenet I have stumbled upon only 2 downloads that have been trojans. And they were nuked after a couple days.
in all safety though please do run an antivirus check on the files before you decide to install it.

Also the problems he's having are very basic problems. they are not spyware, trojan, or virus related.

the best way to do it if you don't trust the iso you have would be to Nlite a regular copy of windows 7 yourself.

anyway please try to see if what I told you in my previous post works...I'm at work right now so it was off of memory from when I'm on my Pc at home.. it's all XP here at work

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So sorry, please point out where people where flaming the poor guy?

Unless you know EXACTLY what has been modified on one of these isos uploaded to a random place on the net (in this case usenet which is full of garbage infected files) I wouldnt touch it.

If you are using stock windows 7 and you say you have an issue then people can help you properly, otherwise you are just taking blind shots in the dark. Even if his issues weren't related to malware it would be unprofessional of me to NOT alert him of the potential side effects to what he has here.

Most the time these windows isos are chopped together and sold on in countries where piracy is rampant like china/brazil/etc.

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's easy to misunderstand people on the internet. your comment and Da head's comment both sounded a little flamey to me. I apoligize.
but I do disagree with the "throw away and start fresh with a legit copy" method before trying things first. And usenet is NOT full of garbage infected files...that's what torrents are for.
What if he can fix it right now? Sure he may have a chance of having a crappy build, but there's also a chance that he has a good one as well. might as well try a little before formatting and reinstalling...that takes a lot longer...

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
that doesn't necessarily mean an antivirus won't detect it. anyway I'm done with this as this is getting way off topic. you are just trying to have the last word. You will probably reply to this as well. there you go you win! hope you are happy now.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let's make this simple. If you're using a custom image of Windows 7 then any issues you have most people can't help. We don't know what was taken out or added.

For all we know, what you installed is a frankenbuild of the RC with chunks from the different versions...we simply don't freaking know.

As of Vista SP2, vliting/nliting hasn't worked correctly and has been recommended that you don't do anything to the image.

Off-topic question:

Why do non-technical people bother with dealing vliting/nliting anything? You don't know what you're doing...simply don't touch it.

Mr. Waffle

A Free Waffle
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'ma explain a few things.

First about usenet:
In the netherlands we have this nice freeware program that is really great and legit, called FTD, you can't download things directly from it so I think I can post the name, if not, please remove it.
There people can post and spot stuff they see on usenet.
After something gets spotted, the admins and mods download it and check it for viruses, if the spotter hasnt done it yet.
The custom windows I downloaded was a modified RTM from a respected poster/spotter.
He upped various versions and likes to keep it up-to-date. this was the latest version.

@Myke
I tried the UAC stuff and it didn't help, and there is no such thing as "run system rating now"
Thanks anyway for the help

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds like the part to run your system rating was removed with vLite then. It's not really a big issue anyway. Aero may just not turn on by itself, you can turn it on manually without the rating.

Try making a new user account and make sure it's an admin one. If that doesn't work the gadgets may have been removed by vlite to save space. Was there a readme with your download stating what was changed?

If you really want all these features working straight out of the box without any fiddling, I'd just recommend getting the untouched RTM.

Mr. Waffle

A Free Waffle
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Edhel said:
Sounds like the part to run your system rating was removed with vLite then. It's not really a big issue anyway. Aero may just not turn on by itself, you can turn it on manually without the rating.

Try making a new user account and make sure it's an admin one. If that doesn't work the gadgets may have been removed by vlite to save space. Was there a readme with your download stating what was changed?

If you really want all these features working straight out of the box without any fiddling, I'd just recommend getting the untouched RTM.
Yeah the gadgets work then, is there a way I can get it to work on my main profile?
System rating still not available, also it has a really different start menu then my main profile.

unsure.gif

D

Deleted User

If that mod is not too different from the regular version, this may work for you.

Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Check the Windows Experience Index (located below "System")

There will be some link that lets you obtain the score.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
The thing that rings alarm bells with myself is the Admin issue - I have used repacks before and never had this except on a friends hacked one.

The other thing to bear in mind - install a good firewall and you shouldn't really need to worry too much. By good I mean NOT Norton or McAffee - these are easily bypassable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr