Windows 64bit?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, May 17, 2009.

May 17, 2009

Windows 64bit? by Harsky at 2:04 AM (789 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    At the moment I'm running Windows XP 32bit with 4gb of RAM. I heard that 64bit versions of Windows can allow 8gb of ram which brings me to my question, is it even worth the money and time to upgrade to this and will the difference be too minimal to be noticable?

Last time I tried installing Windows Vista 64bit, it just had problems trying to run some of my programs which was why I didn't bother with it although that was something like over a year ago.

2. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    at this point in time, 8gb of ram is pretty useless. hell, even the 4gb i have now is pretty excessive.

3. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So with the maximum amount of ram put into my PC, a 1tb hard drive, I guess the step is probably the processor. which is 4 years old and a Pentium D. I never thought about upgrading it but will new processor make it run more efficently and faster or am I better off just leaving it alone.

4. F0L

Newcomer F0L Member

United Kingdom
    My advise, is Vista sucks.

I finally gave in and upgraded to Vista 64 Ultimate, only to find half my progs didnt work.
    If that was'nt bad enough, every couple of weeks files would become corrupt. I would'nt mind so much, accept it was the NTFS.SYS file. Screwed my HDD on lots of occassions.

I have gone back to my rock solid never had 1 issue with XP 32Bit. Shame it only see's 3.2GB of my 4GB RAM.

5. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Well, I'm, on Vista 64Bit right now, and most of the problems I've sorted now, but getting hold of drivers for old devices and having to reinstall every program specifically for Vista and 64-Bit compatibility is a pain in the a**. But I have to agree with da_head, anything over 2GB RAM is almost unnoticeable, and I think that'll be the case for a long time to come, so really there's no need to go 64Bit.

6. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    upgrading your processor will definitely improve performance (depends from what to what though). and vista isn't that bad. i have vista home premium 64 bit, and i've rarely had problems with it (except for the few times it blue screened but those were my fault [​IMG]).

7. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    I have vista Ultimate 32bit. It runs flawless. The only BSOD I have had was when I had bad sectors and then when I had my computer running on it's side which cause my HD header to tear the platter to the point of destruction followed by a BSOD.

I should point out that my vista is a heavily modified version. I deemed it Vista Uber Edition because it had an intense REG file merged at first boot, pre activation, and useless junk removed. This version included 64 and 32bit that both run flawlessly.

Lastly, the other problems I have are with games from like 2003 that install, but don't run correctly. This is specifically aimed at Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 - The Sith Lords, apparently Vista lacks the support of DirectSound (that's just what I've read) so on starting the game (not the launcher) it will immediately crash to the desktop giving a memory error at 0x00000000. replacing a single file in the game's directory solved that issue.

8. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I call bullshit right here.

I've used vista x64 for ages and only had issues with certain 16bit applications which are from pre 1995. More so if your system was ending up corrupt thats an issue with stuff you've done, not vista being unstable.

9. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    I just installed Windows 7 build #7100 RC 64bit less than an hour ago, and I've installed at least a dozen program flawlessly. Used to have 32bit because the 64bit dvd wouldn't boot and I took the time to but it on flash storage and it all went well.