Windows 10 vs Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Feras2002, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Feras2002
    OP

Feras2002 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    United States
    deez nuts
    which one is better (both 64bit)

2. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Windows 10 runs games better by my personal experience

ClintEastwood likes this.
  3. SonicCloud

SonicCloud a crybaby <3.

Mar 29, 2016
    Mexico
    Somewhere
    Windows 7 :v

Ev1lbl0w and TheKawaiiDesu like this.
  4. Feras2002
    OP

Jan 13, 2016
    United States
    deez nuts
    I was on Windows 8.1 now upgrading to 10 so shall I stay on 10 or go back to 8.1?

5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    Windows 10, since it focuses on both desktop/laptop computers and tablets. It actually has two modes specifically for normal computers and tablets that you can switch between. It also has a normal start menu.
    Also if you're worried about Microsoft spying, there's always SpyBot Anti-Beacon.

ClintEastwood, nxwing and cvskid like this.
  6. Feras2002
    OP

Jan 13, 2016
    United States
    deez nuts
    I see..but it's stable isn't it?

7. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    It is now, yes. You'll probably have issues if you do an upgrade instead of doing a fresh install, though.

8. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I wouldn't say "probably"; it's more of a "maybe", or "probably not". In my experience, Windows 10 upgrades have been pretty stable. Not to say you won't have problems, just don't go into it expecting it to fail.

ClintEastwood and Tomato Hentai like this.
  9. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    In addition to spybot anti beacon I suggest using shutup10 as well. Specifically, in addition to the standard recommended options I suggest you disable automatic driver updates (as sometimes video driver updates can cause issues with gaming, especially if you use customized driver packs) as well as enable the ability to defer non-security updates. While you can disable all automatic updates, only do so if you can be sure you will remember to manually check for security updates at least once a week and always on patch tuesday.

You might also want to get classic shell but if you have Windows 8.x then you probably know about it already.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  10. Tomato Hentai

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    Oh, ok. I was just going off of the experience I've had with two computers I've upgraded to Windows 10. They both had a bunch of random bluescreens caused, mainly, by driver issues. Maybe I just have bad luck. :P

11. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Go back to 8.1. I was on 8.1, upgraded to 10, then did a clean install of 10. I still have nothing but issues. I swear, every day there is another problem. I wish I could go back to 8.1, but I left 10 installed too long. I don't feel like pirating 8.1 because I feel like I'll somehow get even more random issues than I have now.

12. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    What kind of problems are you having?

ClintEastwood likes this.
  13. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    One vote for Windows 10 from me. At this point, there's almost no reason to consider staying on 8.*, especially on a traditional desktop system.

Surprisingly, Windows 10 seems to handle passing EAX audio calls a lot better than Windows 7 even did; still have to have an Audigy or X-Fi sound card (haven't tried a Core3D, but nothing about that line of chips makes me want to), but color me surprised when I was able to enable EAX HD on Jedi Outcast after installing it fresh, before even starting up ALchemy to patch it properly.

ClintEastwood and Tomato Hentai like this.
  14. GameSystem

GameSystem GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    Mainly driver issuers. Doesn't matter if they are up to date or rolled back to the previous versions, the WiFi drivers and display drivers always have problems, as well as other random things.

Almost every day I have to do some sort of troubleshooting with my WiFi driver. It's always a different problem. The troubleshooter says it's unplugged or disconnected, or I'll be missing system protocols and it'll just die. Today my screen froze and I had to hard reset because my display driver had an error. I also get Audio issues and screen brightness issues. I have to restart the laptop constantly for things to work.

It's like my laptop was made for 8.1 and nothing else.

As soon as I upgraded last year, I started having problems. I thought they would work themselves out since W10 was brand new at the time, but they never did.
    I did a clean install of W10 a few months back and these problems still persist.

15. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    Have you tried a clean install? You should still have your install media for 8.1 if it bothers you that much. I should hope you've got an install disc for it handy. There's no reason it shouldn't let you reinstall it.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  16. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    Did you go to the manufacturer's website to download the latest drivers? They're not always in Windows Update.

Touko White and Tomato Hentai like this.
  17. Riyaz

Riyaz Black Ace/Red Joker

Jun 21, 2011
    Netherlands
    everywhere
    clean install w10 gets my vote

18. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Windows 10 all the way.

I have recently deployed Windows 10 to our office at work, we'd previously had 8.1 for two years. Everyone seems to like Windows 10 and thinks it's a nice improvement over 8.1.

Driver / hardware wise in my experience anything that worked on Windows 8.1 also works on Windows 10.

19. omegasoul6

omegasoul6 ಠ_ಠ

Aug 16, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto
    As much as I hate Windows 10, I hate 8.1 more.

I'd get Windows 10.

20. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Preference order (personal experiences) Windows 10 > Windows 7 >>> Windows 8.1.
    The machines with Windows 7 and XP that I've updated to 10 actually run more smoother than ever. And that was without doing clean installs (couldn't since I've used the free upgrade offer).

Supster131 likes this.