Gaming wind waker hd , should we ?

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank goodness no one mentioned Majora's Mask ;) Not the best one to start off with, but that's just me, I wasn't a big fan of it to be honest. ALLTP, OOT are all good games to start off with :P

While MM is my favorite, it is most definitely NOT the game to start with. LttP is just perfect for the beginner though. It has the right balance of minimally guiding you and discovering on your own.

@ the WW sucks cos Ocean people
Also, isn't The Great Sea and Hyrule Field really just the same thing? Empty space with enemies and filler so all the important places aren't right next to each other?

Reactions: T Link7

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
I think you all misunderstand , im not interested in windwaker as a door way into playing all the zelda games possible , nor am i interested in playing retro editions.. this is by no means a zelda thread , more a what is wind waker like , kinda thread.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you all misunderstand , im not interested in windwaker as a door way into playing all the zelda games possible , nor am i interested in playing retro editions.. this is by no means a zelda thread , more a what is wind waker like , kinda thread.

Wind Waker is pretty linear when it comes to the story, but the side quests are numerous are can be well hidden. So exploration will reward you greatly. Combat is solid for 3rd person action games, and the boss fights are amazing. If you don't care too much for spoilers, I recommend you look up a video of the boss of the first dungeon and some other gameplay videos.

Or... [Legit Boss Spoilers Here]
Actual Fight Starts around 5:00

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Whoops, yeah, I missed that one. Sorry about that :P To answer your question, Wind Waker is a good game, but I haven't played it in a long time and forgot a lot of what it was like, but from what I remember it's very enjoyable and with the added features of the HD version (i.e faster sailing, which is optional) the pace at which you explore is more balanced.

Reactions: TyBlood13

GeneralSmiley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wind Waker was my first Zelda game... on the GameCube. And it was awesome then, just replayed the HD edition and it's even more awesome now! Get it! The sailing is so much better with a fast sail.

Reactions: the_randomizer

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyward sword is my favorite 3d Zelda and the only one I beat all by myself.

I played twilight princess with my son sharing a save file, might be better for beginners. Skyward swords over world is sort of dungeon like while twilights overworld is not. I found that to be enjoyable in skyward but think twilight is probably more traditional.

Ocarina I have been playing through on vc and switched over to the 3ds remake. I've barely played majoras mask.

Windwaker does seem short judging by the chapter breakout of the walk through. It was pretty straight forward and enjoyable until the part I have gotten to that requires exploration and trying to figure out what the heck to do next. Ocarina so far I have a few times had trouble figuring out what the heck to do next.

I beat zelda 1 and 2 on nes with basically no help other than maybe some chit chat on the playground at the elementary. Second quest in Zelda 1 is had the epic nintendo power map to help. Zelda 2 was difficult largely because of the twitch combat from my memory.

I really liked the ds touch Zelda's. Beat both of them with out really needing assistance.

Minish cap I have played some but haven't gotten in to it much.

I barely remember the first gameboy one but I am pretty positive I beat it and didn't play the oracle ones.

Link to the past I feel is the most polished top down Zelda. I beat that on the snes back in the day.

Original is probably still my all time favorite but I would say for first timers go with link to the past if you want 2d and twilight if you want 3d.

Theconejo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything is on topic really. You wanted to know how it plays and that lead to people giving you a brief comparison on all the different zelda games out there. Maybe look at the posts from that perspective.

It's a Zelda game so there is exploring, items and puzzles testing your wits with said items, a dependable story line where you know what you are getting, and just fun times.

Having been playing it for a few hours, and having only played it on dolphin briefly last year, the wiiU version is awesome with the use of the gamepad. Off tv play is awesome. The fact that you can aim the grappling hook, boomerang, etc. with the gamepad is amazing for a faster experience.

The swift sail is easy to get and makes sailing...wait for it...a breeze. The fact that you don't have to stop and change wind direction makes the boating more enjoyable and less a chore.

Thats all I can really say. You should be able to extrapolate some idea from all the posts, whether they are "on topic" or not. If they don't conjure up any response to whether you would enjoy the game or not go watch gameplay footage.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, this thread has been derailed.

The guy was saying he was looking for a Wii U game to play with his wife and asked if Wind Waker was a suitable option.

The thread evolved into "play Ocarina of Time" or "play Link to the Past" instead of suggesting games actually available on Wii U. He specifically said that he hasn't played a Zelda game so comparing Wind Waker to other Zelda games is not going to help him.

If I may put this thread back on the rails,
Wind Waker is a fun adventure game. Sailing to and from islands takes up at most 10 minutes at a time, but the core of the gameplay takes place on the islands and dungeons. Yes, it is a puzzle-based game (in the dungeons), there is stuff that isn't necessarily puzzle-based but does force you to use your head, and being an RPG there is plenty of extra stuff to do. There are probably more content in side-quests than the main game, but that just prolongs it's playability.

Yes. Give it a go. I would also recommend placing a pre-order on Super Mario 3D World.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this thread has been derailed.

The guy was saying he was looking for a Wii U game to play with his wife and asked if Wind Waker was a suitable option.

The thread evolved into "play Ocarina of Time" or "play Link to the Past" instead of suggesting games actually available on Wii U. He specifically said that he hasn't played a Zelda game so comparing Wind Waker to other Zelda games is not going to help him.

If I may put this thread back on the rails,
Wind Waker is a fun adventure game. Sailing to and from islands takes up at most 10 minutes at a time, but the core of the gameplay takes place on the islands and dungeons. Yes, it is a puzzle-based game (in the dungeons), there is stuff that isn't necessarily puzzle-based but does force you to use your head, and being an RPG there is plenty of extra stuff to do. There are probably more content in side-quests than the main game, but that just prolongs it's playability.

Yes. Give it a go. I would also recommend placing a pre-order on Super Mario 3D World.

What is the point of a preorder? Games never sell out, you can just regular order it when it comes out. There are no sales right now, so he'd have to pay full MSRP. If you are going to pay MSRP, you might as well get the digital version. That's what I'm going to do. I have over $110 worth of credit in my Eshop account, and Super Mario 3D World is worth spending it on. I like the disc version when the prices are significantly lower, but if I feel like not waiting and paying full MSRP, I get the digital.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It comes up in the auction house on Windfall Island at night every now and then

@Topic I still suggest going for it. It is a very fun game. And sorry for derailing so bad earlier. :O

right after dragonroost dungeon you can get it. just enter the auction and if it is not the item for auction push b and quit than re-enter the room and keep participating in the auction until it appears.

how to bid like a pro
1. push a once than don't do anything.
2. when he says time is running out button mash A until the bar reaches the center than wait again.
3. when he says there's no much time left button mash A until you can bid.
4. now enter an amount that is 13 rupees higher than the current bid.
5. this will stun everyone no one will now bid for the rest of the auction and your guaranteed to get it for a good price.

Reactions: TyBlood13

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
Wind Waker is a good game, maybe for more serious sit-down gaming sessions. Super Mario Bros U has multiplayer, and so will the upcoming Mario games. I'd recommend those if you want something to play with your wife.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
been there done that.... thanks .. we got luigi also , but kinda lost interest got bored of mario as we had played too many games of him at that time , i may revisit luigi at some point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: