Winamp Milkdrop alternative?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Magsor, Dec 23, 2010.

Dec 23, 2010

Winamp Milkdrop alternative? by Magsor at 3:14 PM (1,893 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Magsor
    OP

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    I am looking for a media player that would do the same as milkdrop but less heavy than winamp.

2. gbatempfan1

Member gbatempfan1 GBAtemp Regular

Do you mean winamp is heavy or milkdrop is heavy and what do you mean by heavy? Do you mean doesn't install lots of stuff or does milkdrop run to slowly, or something else?

If you need something for a slower computer then you can always get an older version of winamp. If I remember correctly you could try something in the 2.xx series.

3. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    Yes there both slow in their own way. I was thinking there should be another alternative than winamp by now.

4. MFDC12

Member MFDC12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if you want to replace winamp completely i recommend foobar2000

5. gbatempfan1

Member gbatempfan1 GBAtemp Regular

Actually now a days for the most part things will probably be slower on your computer as they have higher system requirements and expect more. Your choices for the most part will be foobar2000 and old versions of Winamp or other older software. You might want to try ProjectM http://projectm.sourceforge.net/ as it uses OpenGL instead of DirectX which is faster on some cards but you'll need to ensure you have the latest drivers for your video card. I've never tried XBMC for windows, but they made an xbox version until recently, so it still might run on slower computers also.

6. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    I checked your suggestions but its not what im looking for. Foobar does not have a milkdrop like visualisation. and projectm seems only for linux. The only alternative I know is ITUNES but its heavier than winamp...

Some fine tuning in winamp got it working lightly... thanks for your input all [​IMG]

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Classic skin in winamp, right?

8. HEARDATBEAT

Member HEARDATBEAT GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Foobar2000 does have various visualization. You just gotta look for 'em. I would show you where they are but I forgot.

9. Magsor
    OP

Canada
    Right! Took me some hours to figure it out. The new skins just have too much stuff in em.

10. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Media monkey supports milkdrop, infact it comes standard.