Will Vita fan translations ever be a thing?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by RedBlueGreen, Jun 30, 2016.

1. RedBlueGreen
    OP

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    With 3DS games it's really easy to edit (if you have the knowledge) a games resources because we can easily decrypt the romfs.

How far along is Vita game dumping and reverse engineering? Do you think we'll ever be able to translate (even poorly) the many Japanese exclusive games?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Vita games have been dumped before, but we have absolutely no way to re-encrypt them, or even run them for that matter, so it wouldn't work regardless.

There's a whole 1 working and released native Vita exploit at this point, it's restricted to 3.51 and lower and only lets us run homebrew. Rejuvenate doesn't have access to what we'd need to run backups, and quite frankly I don't think it'll happen any time soon (minus the Cobra Black Fin thing, but that won't let you run edited games anyways). Sony didn't fuck around with their security this time around.

Hicip1956 likes this.
  3. RedBlueGreen
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Well I guess I'll have to play games with awful Google Translate interpretations then.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jun 30, 2016
  4. Mr.ButtButt

Mr.ButtButt The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3

Sep 22, 2015
    United States
    it's funny that they didn't mess around with the security for a console they literally don't care about anymore :rofl2:

Hicip1956 and RedBlueGreen like this.
  5. RedBlueGreen
    OP

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    I think Sony predicted the Vita would be huge because "it's basically a portable PS3" without realizing a lot of people don't care about specs as long as they get good games. The Vita's basically become a console for niche JRPGs and ports. Not that it's a bad thing, I just bought my PSTV for those kinds of games.