Will updating backwards compatible PS3s remove that feature?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by humanx, Jan 8, 2011.

1. humanx
    OP

Newcomer humanx Member

United States
    I just heard a rumor from a friend that if you update the firmware on one of the backwards compatible fat PS3s, that it will no longer be backwards compatible? This friend is worried as he does not have internet access (shocking!) at his place and has never updated (except for any updates that may be included on game discs?). We're getting together later this month for a LAN party and we mentioned he might need to update in order for things to work right (not sure if that's true either). I have a slim, so I really don't know about this particular feature. I'm searching the net as well, but figured I'd see if any of the subject matter experts here have any opinions on this topic.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Sony couldn't afford or have any legal foot to stand on if they did something like that.

3. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Uh no... backward compatible ps3 have an extra chipset the emotion engine which is why they are campatible with ps2. All ps3 (even the slims) are compatible with ps1 games.
    What it will remove is the OtherOS option present in FAT ps3 which is the ability to install Linux.

So in short tell your friend to upgrade without worrying. he can even downgrade down the road if he want to an more cool thing to come soon for all of us...