Will This Work?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dmonkey21, Oct 15, 2008.

Oct 15, 2008

Will This Work? by dmonkey21 at 9:14 PM (1,914 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. dmonkey21
    OP

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi I was just at gamestop and they have new wiis in stock now! Anyway, I was just wondering if I bought one of these, what kind do you think it would be, (D2C, D2E, wtv, I do not know much about modding wiis)
    Also, What chip should I get? I do not think I want to solder, So I'd like to get one that is available pre-soldered to a WiiClip. Any that Would probably work on a new Wii?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
  3. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    ok so what is a good modchip that sells on a pre-soldered wiiclip that will work with D2E? Anyone know?

Thnx for any help in advance [​IMG]

P.S. How come all of the copyrights are 2006?

4. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Be warned though, the new Wiis on shelves may have the Epoxy on them, causing non-solderless chips to not work at all.

If you can, after you buy it, open up your Wii and see if you have the dreaded epoxy. Its the best answer to see whether or not you can get a non-solderless chip solution.

5. GhostSonic

Member GhostSonic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think the epoxy can be removed, though.

6. Screemer

Germany
  7. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    Awesome thnx guys. Ya I saw on WiiDrives that not many people have reported the epoxy. I was thinking of getting that new D2All chip from the m3team? it's like $50 USD at OZMods. Any suggestions? The only thing I definitely want to shy away from is a wiikey 2 soldered to the wiiclip4c or wtv that just looks too unstable lol.

D2All

8. Screemer

Germany
    the d2all looks like a d2pro clone to me. in my opinion it doesn't matter which chip you choose. if you want it future-proof you should go with a modchip with jtag and dvd update, like d2pro, argon, d2all, d2sun v3.0, etc. if you don't think that jtag is needed (wiikey with dvd update is still working) you can go with wasabi and the others. there is no big quality difference. i have a argon with a clip v2 and its working ike a charm. i bought them separately a couple of month ago, i think it was in april. back at that time no one sold them presoldered. soldering the clip and the chip together was quite easy.

so it's your decision which chip to choose. i would go with argon or d2pro. others would recommend other chips.

€dit: i found a pretty good deal in an other thread: http://foundmy.com/oscom/product_info.php?products_id=303
    if you are willing to go wtihout jtag updating, then this would be the best deal you could get, as far as i know of.

9. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    hmmm ya dvd upgradability seems iffy with the d2all. They list it as a feature on their website, but the guy at OZ says they havn't tested it's implimentation yet. The d2pro is like $60 on OZ, so if its a choice b/t those I'll probably pick the d2all.

What is jtag? In all of the research ive done on modding wiis today I've never even heard it XD

[​IMG]

I just don't want to mess with something like this lol.

10. Screemer

Germany
    jtag is the white connector you can see on this picture:

[​IMG]

i connects via flat cable to a usb-programmer. with that programmer you can reprogram the chip itself via usb not only parts of the firmware, as it is with dvd-upgradeable chips. if nintendo changes something special, it could be necessary to reprogram the chip itself and this option is not given through dvd-update. so it could lead to the point, where eb without jtag has to buy a new chip. that's very unlikely to happen.

11. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    hmmm thats pretty useful but I think if I had the chip in a clip I'd just disable it until I found another solution XD

12. Screemer

Germany
    i just took a look a the prices at oz and i am stunned. a d2all incl. shipping is about 42,50€. i paid 66€ when i ordered mine. thats a huge price drop.

if you order at oz make sure to get gbatemp discount, which is free international shipping!

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=80459

13. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    o that's awesome! I totally forgot about the GBATemp discount XD. Thanks for all of your help man I think I'm gonan get this, just gotta check the Wii first [​IMG]

14. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    o and does anyone know if the d2all has regionfree off the wiiclip? or do you have to solder an extra wire or something?

15. Screemer

Germany
    nothing has to be soldered.

if that is not working you could still start foreign region games with geckoos. geckoos should even have a higher compatibility was foreign games.

16. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Im about to order the D2All, I'll let you know how it goes.

17. dmonkey21
    OP

United States
    Awesome. i just realized I'm gonna be gone on the weekend so I'll probably end up getting my Wii monday or later.