Will this be a good computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Arfiol, Mar 7, 2011.

Mar 7, 2011

Will this be a good computer? by Arfiol at 8:42 PM (1,426 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Arfiol
    OP

Newcomer Arfiol Member

Sweden
    I'm thinking of building a computer. I want it to last, but I don't want to overdo it by buying a ton of expensive hardware. I'm going to use it for average- to advanced (not too advanced though) gaming, as well as C++ programming. My operative system will be Linux Mint.
    I'm not completely sure which components to buy, though. So far, I've thought of these parts:

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K, 3.3GHz, 4 cores.
    Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 6 REV B3
    Video card: Nvidia Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC
    Hard drive: 3TB Hitachi 7K3000 64MB, also thinking about SSD for OS.
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 310
    Optical drive: LG BH10LS30, can burn Blu-ray and DVD discs.
    RAM: 4 GB
    Power supply pending

Will this be a good computer? I would really like to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The important part for gaming is the video card, and this can range from $90-$150+ USD for a decent one, depending on your needs. On average a $90 card can play the same games a $150 card can at the same smoothness.... at reduced graphical quality.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    It's advised not to use 3TB or larger HDDs for booting the OS, although the new BIOS with that particular motherboard supposedly does support booting from 3TB or larger HDDs. I'm surprised to see a P/H67 motherboard advertising B3-stepping though - it's the first I've heard of it (my usual sources for this information still don't mention anything about B3 motherboards yet).

You haven't mentioned if the CPU you picked is the Core i5-2500 or 2500K. Since you picked a P67 motherboard, you should get the 2500K for its unlocked multiplier. If you're planning to use the Intel HD 2000 graphics (or 3000 with the 2500K), then you'll need a H67 motherboard as P67 motherboards cannot use it and instead rely on discreet graphics. Z67 motherboards (that combines both) are expected to be released by summer.

As Rydian pointed out, the graphics card is important for gaming, so consider the types of games you'll be playing (in terms of how graphically intensive they are), then think of the budget you're willing to put towards the graphics. Intel HD graphics will be more than enough for TF2 and L4D or even Starcraft 2, but it won't be enough for games like Civ5 , Dawn of War 2 or Crysis. You'll probably want a mid-ranged graphics card like the GTX 560 or HD 6850 for that.

For a little big of guidance, the PC parts buyer's guide:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

4. Arfiol
    OP

Newcomer Arfiol Member

Sweden
    Yes, I am aware that having 3TB isn't ideal for my purposes. It was, however, extremely cheap. That's why I'm thinking of getting SSD for the booting, while using the hard drive I mentioned merely as a large storage space.

Oh, and sorry for not mentioning the video card. I edited the post.

5. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    It looks good. Originality covered the HDD issue, so there's not much left for me to say. I guess.... I should mention that last time I checked Amazon was still selling the "defect" motherboards; if in fact, that's one of the ones you needed for the i5-2500k. Definitely get a K series motherboard / the HD 3000 Graphics & unlocked multiplier. Edit: Actually, the card is fine for Crysis @ 1680x1050 @ Very High settings. (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/07/12/nvidia-geforce-gtx-460-graphics-card-review/9) You shouldn't try to play something like that at 1920x1080, but for anything 1580x1050 or lower, the FPS (depending on the AA settings) should be around 35+

6. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Actually, integrated graphics run games like CivV (but definitely not Crysis) quite well, just at a low res.

7. Originality

United Kingdom
    I don't think playing Civ5 at low res does it justice, plus there are times when even my setup (E8400 and HD4870) lags when playing Civ5.

Regardless, he's added a GTX 460 to the build. Whilst I think a GTX 560 Ti would be better, both works just fine.

@Raven,
    - First there's no point talking to a Swede about Amazon - US Amazon is completely different to European Amazon.
    - Second, the motherboard says in its name it's got the B3 revision, so it should supposedly have no problem.
    - Thirdly, "K series motherboard" is a little wrong. There's K series CPU for unlocked multiplier and HD 3000 graphics, but only P67 motherboards can overclock properly and only H67 motherboards can use the HD 2000/3000 graphics. Z67, which does both, is expected later this year. Considering that he's picked a 2500K, a P67 motherboard and discreet graphics, I'd say he's made the right choice.

8. Arfiol
    OP

Newcomer Arfiol Member

Sweden
    Ah, this sounds reassuring. Oh yeah, as Originality mentioned, there is no point in bringing up Amazon, since it is not only different from the European Amazon, but I will also purchase all the items from a Swedish store called Inet. Their price for the, say, processor is 1335 SEK, which equals 200 bucks.

9. tagzard

Banned tagzard Tagzard the Crazy Dinosaur with Wings.

United States
    get a gamming computure

10. Originality

United Kingdom
    Please define what a "gamming computure" is.
    Also please enlighten us as to exactly what parts make up a "gamming computure".

11. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Haven't you heard? gamming computures are all the rage these days.

Unlike a computer, a gamming computure is made of electromagnetic radiation of high frequency. You say you have a 4 GHz 20 core yadda yadda, well fuck you because with a gamming computure you would get (HOW MUCH DID YOU GUESS?) over 10 exahertz.

That's right. TEN exa-fucking-hertz.

12. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Complicated, complicated, thanks for the corrections Originality. I've been completely hooked on League of Legends lately, so I haven't been as active as usual.

13. Originality

United Kingdom
    You and my brother both... and his entire circle of friends. He's even taken to using my account to try out other characters.

14. Arfiol
    OP

Newcomer Arfiol Member

Sweden
    Oh, but that only applies for the old models. The latest gamming computure simulates the structure of the Crab Nebula, equal to the actual nebula in frequency, and emits gamma rays at the frequency of over 1 yottahertz.

That's right. OVER 1 YOTTA-FUCKING-HERTZ.

15. Originality

United Kingdom
    I hope that thing is shielded. Gamma rays are harmful to life on this planet.

16. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Well, this thread went downhill fast.

I didn't even have a chance to get here.

17. Originality

United Kingdom
    That would be because the original question was answered and there wasn't really any need for further discussion. Then someone posted something rather... unusual... so we couldn't help but try and get some elaboration from it for troll's sake.

18. Arfiol
    OP

Newcomer Arfiol Member

Sweden
    Gamming computures aren't for everyone. If you cannot withstand the awesome power of the gamming computure, you should just stay away and let the real gammers do their job.