Will there ever be a 8x thunderbolt slot

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Dominator211, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    I know what i am saying sounds crazy but as graphics card keep getting better a 4x slot may not be able to keep up in the future. I amalso just curious as to why there is nit any 8x slots out there. And if there us some limitation to it. Why not use two 4x slots. IE two thunderbolt or 1 thunderbolt and a m.2

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That honestly will most likely be Thunderbolt 4

3. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    i mean yes most likely until controllers improve and throughput improves but i technically have 4 4x slots at my disposal and i would like to figure out how to make the best of them. I heard from a technician that it is ether the North-bridge or South-bridge that is the limiting factor

4. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Oh I see what you mean. I think the problem is that they all share bandwidth with each other, so while PCIe 3.0 4x is the max you'd get with only one Thunderbolt port occupied, it doesn't get any better than that and will only go up to that speed on all ports combined no matter how many things are plugged in. Think of it as though you're splitting a single PCIe slot into four parts and then plug four cards into that single slot

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Except PCie slots are normally 16x or 1x.
    I see no reason why not although it would require a higher pin count making 8x thunderbolt over USB-C not possible. But a dedicated thunderbolt port would solve that. But most machines with thunderbolt support these days do so over USB-C. Only Apple seems to have dedicated thunderbolt ports.

6. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    each 4x is that and that only. I dont see why someone doesn't make a dock with two thunderbolt in to a 8x slot. but i guess that data will be split. there would need to be some development on that end

7. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Are you positive they don't share a controller?

8. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    How would I tell?

9. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You'd have to look at a spec sheet. But that's what I'm saying, you otherwise wouldn't. However, what you're proposing would pose the same issue as if someone designed an external SSD that could pull from multiple USB 3.0 ports for double the speed; if you plugged both cables into ports that share a controller (and therefor, bandwidth), as is common with most consumer devices, you'd see virtually no benefit. Since individual TB controller cards are rather expensive to the end user, I'm guessing that most peripheral manufacturers are counting on said consumers only having the one included on the motherboard. And, as I've said, if that's the case, then no matter how many ports your device has, you won't see a benefit between using one and any number of more cables

10. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    I would have to think the storage and external ports would be on 2 different controllers, becuase why would two nvme ssd share the same bandwidth. I have the hades canyon nuc if that makes it any easier

11. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    That's not what I'm saying, I was making a comparison between the two scenarios

12. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    They share a controller. It is what it is at this point

13. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Correct. And you understand why that's an issue now, right? Cause if not I can draw a picture of what I'm talking about