Will there be PS6?

elpapadelospollitos

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think sooner or later cloud services like Stadia and X Cloud will kill off consoles. It's not what consumers want right now but the stuff that current gen consoles have are things that people got mad about when M$ tried to do it with the Xbox One.

Unlike removing the disk drive and requiring an internet connection to activate a game you have on physical media cloud gaming does actually provide benefits. No install times, no updates, always running on the latest hardware if there is a revision.
Gamers might not want it right now, but people always trade away their consumer rights and privacy for the sake of convenience eventually. We've already seen it with movies / TV shows. At least with them you can pirate a local copy. You can't make your own backup of a game that only exists in some data center somewhere.

Will there be a PS6? Maybe? It depends on how fast ISPs roll out faster speed internet that can support game streaming. I don't think there will be a PS7.

Consoles are for the average person, and the average person won't give a shit if they don't actually own their games as long as it is convenient. This is already happening with Game Pass. I don't think owning hardware will ever go away because there will always be enthusiasts but those enthusiasts will be on PC.

What about third world countries? The internet is pretty bad down here, even with all the technological advancements, not everyone can afford the monthly fee or sometimes the infraestructure just isn't there, but our people still save for a console and represent a fair share of their sales

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
What about third world countries? The internet is pretty bad down here, even with all the technological advancements, not everyone can afford the monthly fee or sometimes the infraestructure just isn't there, but our people still save for a console and represent a fair share of their sales
Depends on the market. M$ pulled out of brazil this generation iirc. I think it was hard to get ahold of PS Vitas in certain parts of South America. The unfortunate reality is if companies can't make money in a place they won't provide their products there. I'm not sure if Nintendo sell consoles in Poland but the Switch has no native language support for Polish so the modding community had to add it in.

We're talking a decade down the line anyway though, by that point there will likely be multiple satellite internet providers available like Starlink (to the dismay of astronomers)

Edit: And if there's a market companies usually give steep discounts to poorer countries. YouTube premium is ~10x cheaper in Ukraine than in the UK, and that was before the war started,

Reactions: Creamu

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
Why are they releasing their titles on PC?

Triple dipping. I know it's Square-Enix, but take FF7 remake for example. First it released as a PS4 exclusive. Then 2 years later it releases on EGS for full price. Than another year later it releases again on Steam for full price. Three nearly identical releases of the same game at full price after 3-4 years. Even though I have the PS4 version already, I might get the Steam version.

Another Sony example is Horizon Zero Dawn. I got the PS4 version used for $15, but didn't play it. It released on PC 2-3 years later and I bought it for full price and really liked it. Now it has a sequel, so I have to decide whether to wait another 1-2 years for PC, or just buy the PS5 version now or when it goes on sale.

I haven't played God of War, but I think there are like 12+ games. On PC, you get one, and if you want more, gotta buy a PS5.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
My post still stands
I think sooner or later cloud services like Stadia and X Cloud will kill off consoles. It's not what consumers want right now but the stuff that current gen consoles have are things that people got mad about when M$ tried to do it with the Xbox One.

Unlike removing the disk drive and requiring an internet connection to activate a game you have on physical media cloud gaming does actually provide benefits. No install times, no updates, always running on the latest hardware if there is a revision.
Gamers might not want it right now, but people always trade away their consumer rights and privacy for the sake of convenience eventually. We've already seen it with movies / TV shows. At least with them you can pirate a local copy. You can't make your own backup of a game that only exists in some data center somewhere.

Will there be a PS6? Maybe? It depends on how fast ISPs roll out faster speed internet that can support game streaming. I don't think there will be a PS7.

Consoles are for the average person, and the average person won't give a shit if they don't actually own their games as long as it is convenient. This is already happening with Game Pass. I don't think owning hardware will ever go away because there will always be enthusiasts but those enthusiasts will be on PC.

What about third world countries?
Americans have a offline console to play, its called the 360.
maxresdefault.jpg

Depends on the market. M$ pulled out of brazil this generation iirc. I think it was hard to get ahold of PS Vitas in certain parts of South America. The unfortunate reality is if companies can't make money in a place they won't provide their products there. I'm not sure if Nintendo sell consoles in Poland but the Switch has no native language support for Polish so the modding community had to add it in.

We're talking a decade down the line anyway though, by that point there will likely be multiple satellite internet providers available like Starlink (to the dismay of astronomers)

Edit: And if there's a market companies usually give steep discounts to poorer countries. YouTube premium is ~10x cheaper in Ukraine than in the UK, and that was before the war started,
Okay, so maybe no PS6 then.
Triple dipping. I know it's Square-Enix, but take FF7 remake for example. First it released as a PS4 exclusive. Then 2 years later it releases on EGS for full price. Than another year later it releases again on Steam for full price. Three nearly identical releases of the same game at full price after 3-4 years. Even though I have the PS4 version already, I might get the Steam version.

Another Sony example is Horizon Zero Dawn. I got the PS4 version used for $15, but didn't play it. It released on PC 2-3 years later and I bought it for full price and really liked it. Now it has a sequel, so I have to decide whether to wait another 1-2 years for PC, or just buy the PS5 version now or when it goes on sale.

I haven't played God of War, but I think there are like 12+ games. On PC, you get one, and if you want more, gotta buy a PS5.
Interesting so users are willing to buy multiple full price ports.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
"The average consumer doesn't care about backwards compatibility"

I'm definitely not the average consumer then, lmao. I for sure would be at least influenced whether or not to buy a console on the basis of it's potential to play older games. Sorry I broke the quote. Don't feel like fixing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4