Will there be PS6?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
more revenue, I'd imagine. console gaming is becoming less and less important, aside from Nintendo consoles, since they may never release their mainstream stuff on the pc.

Reactions: Creamu

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The question you should be asking is not whether there will be a PS6, but whether the PS6 will have an optical drive.
If shortages continue and they will be able to sell only to a nieche audience, they could build a vinyl player on top of it. The rest can play on PC or cloud.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If shortages continue and they will be able to sell only to a nieche audience, they could build a vinyl player on top of it. The rest can play on PC or cloud.
the shortages kinda remind me of when you'd have a ps2 with a modchip or something before softmods. you'd have a rare system that others didn't have. if you use the normal channels, you should be able to get one pretty easily though.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
the shortages kinda remind me of when you'd have a ps2 with a modchip or something before softmods. you'd have a rare system that others didn't have. if you use the normal channels, you should be able to get one pretty easily though.
That must have been a nice time.

Are the PC releases related to the shortages?

Reactions: godreborn

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i think PS 6 will be some hybrid Console, for those who want a physical device at home. But main feature will be cloud gaming.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps3 games are streamed behind a paywall, and ps1 and 2 games--some can be bought, but others are behind same wall. the wild arms game I bought is for ps4 and 5, so it may not be technically ps1, and the wild arms 3 game I bought is for ps4, so it may not technically be ps2, so who's to know what's actually the ps1 or 2 versions, if any really exist. however, I do prefer an upgraded version if possible.
Even then, the selection of streamable PS3 games currently available is rather limited and bad. I believe there are still more of them than PS1 and PS2 games though.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even then, the selection of streamable PS3 games currently available is rather limited and bad. I believe there are still more of them than PS1 and PS2 games though.
I hate the idea of streaming, since I have a data cap. also, I don't like that you can't buy some of these games, and you're forced into this service if you want them. I've bought many games from game pass, since I didn't like idea of playability being tentative.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Why are they releasing their titles on PC?
Why wouldn't they? There are a lot of PC gamers who aren't going to buy a PS5 but will buy the games if they can play them. It makes sense. It broadens their consumer-base. A PC isn't direct competition with a console, but it's also not very different than them, either, in many ways. They can make a quick buck this way off of people who otherwise wouldn't even be in their ecosystem to buy their product.

I guess the short answer is this: consoles are basically PCs at this point, architecture and all, and a port is a quick and simple way of making money from people who otherwise wouldn't have bought the product(s).

micp

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why wouldn't they? There are a lot of PC gamers who aren't going to buy a PS5 but will buy the games if they can play them. It makes sense. It broadens their consumer-base. A PC isn't direct competition with a console, but it's also not very different than them, either, in many ways. They can make a quick buck this way off of people who otherwise wouldn't even be in their ecosystem to buy their product.

I guess the short answer is this: consoles are basically PCs at this point, architecture and all, and a port is a quick and simple way of making money from people who otherwise wouldn't have bought the product(s).

They will also get people coming into the ecosystem who hadn't thought about it before. They may play a game that's available on PS5 and PC and then think "oh, that game looks good but it's not on PC yet", so they go out and purchase a PS5.

It's a win/win for Sony and Microsoft doing this because they're making money regardless.

Creamu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Why wouldn't they?
Brand integrity.
There are a lot of PC gamers who aren't going to buy a PS5 but will buy the games if they can play them.
Yes for gamers it is great. I like the idea as well.
It makes sense. It broadens their consumer-base. A PC isn't direct competition with a console, but it's also not very different than them, either, in many ways. They can make a quick buck this way off of people who otherwise wouldn't even be in their ecosystem to buy their product.
Isn't PC pretty much microsofts territory?
You are right. The architecture is very close to a regular PC nowdays compared to PS3 or even the wii.
The average consumer doesn't care about backwards compatibility
I don't know if that is the case anymore. There is such a great cataloge of games from PS1 to PS5 and whats coming out nowdays often is more formulaic than PS1 or PS2...
Obviously. You think Sony's gonna stop making consoles when they're selling so well?
What if they cant get the transistors?
will there be a ps7?
No

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What if they cant get the transistors?
Then people will have to wait a bit before they can easily get one. Which is the same situation as with the Wii, that thing was sold out everywhere for months, and it's still one of the best selling consoles of all the time. Scarcity seems to just make a product even more popular. People want something even more when they can't have it.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
I think sooner or later cloud services like Stadia and X Cloud will kill off consoles. It's not what consumers want right now but the stuff that current gen consoles have are things that people got mad about when M$ tried to do it with the Xbox One.

Unlike removing the disk drive and requiring an internet connection to activate a game you have on physical media cloud gaming does actually provide benefits. No install times, no updates, always running on the latest hardware if there is a revision.
Gamers might not want it right now, but people always trade away their consumer rights and privacy for the sake of convenience eventually. We've already seen it with movies / TV shows. At least with them you can pirate a local copy. You can't make your own backup of a game that only exists in some data center somewhere.

Will there be a PS6? Maybe? It depends on how fast ISPs roll out faster speed internet that can support game streaming. I don't think there will be a PS7.

Consoles are for the average person, and the average person won't give a shit if they don't actually own their games as long as it is convenient. This is already happening with Game Pass. I don't think owning hardware will ever go away because there will always be enthusiasts but those enthusiasts will be on PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played